How many times can a DVD drive be opened and closed?

Boomwebsearch
Go to solution Solved by Boomwebsearch,

I discovered the issue earlier today in the morning. The issue was that the physical cables connecting the drive to the power supply had worn out. After replacing the cable/s the drive is now functioning as normal although I am not entirely sure why the connectors had worn out. I think that it probably got worn out due to age although there is really no way to know for sure. Thanks to everyone who posted and contributed to solving my problem. I hope that this drive will continue work in the future.

How many times can a DVD drive be opened and closed electronically before breaking or not functioning anymore?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

35,472 times.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The number of time a disc drive can be opened closed, depends on the material and build quality of said disc drive.
But in general, enough to last a lifetime.

That said, why would you be using a disc drive often enough that you'd wonder about this in the first place?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

No idea, but I've been moving the same bloody drive from one PC to the next for ages now and it's still working fine, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say a lot.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

why would you be using a disc drive often enough that you'd wonder about this in the first place?

The reason that I asked this question is that I have a refurbished desktop computer which has a DVD drive which is not working and I am wondering if it is due to it being opened and closed too many times. The DVD drive worked for a few days then is not opening anymore for some reason. Although the drive must have been damaged in some other way. I am most likely going to have to replace the DVD drive because I need it sometimes when installing software or watching movies.

@Boomwebsearch 

Until it breaks or goes on strike. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The reason that I asked this question is that I have a refurbished desktop computer which has a DVD drive which is not working and I am wondering if it is due to it being opened and closed too many times. The DVD drive worked for a few days then is not opening anymore for some reason. Although the drive must have been damaged in some other way. I am most likely going to have to replace the DVD drive because I need it sometimes when installing software or watching movies.

When it was still functioning, did you hear any strange noises that would indicate failure?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

12 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

This could be mechanism failure, the gears and or rubber bands they use to open the draw of the drive could also be the system board of the drive, and not laser failure.

There is a small hole on most older disk drives that allow you to stick a paper clip or pin in the hole to pries the closing latch which will allow the tray to open, have you done this? 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

if you can do that its probably an issue with one of the small rubberbands driving it. 
they tend to either snap or pop off. 

its a pretty simple fix.

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When it was still functioning, did you hear any strange noises that would indicate failure?

When it was still functioning I did not notice any odd sounds that would indicate failure. The issue which I have is that the drive is not opening anymore.

@Boomwebsearch 

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

There is a small hole on most older disk drives that allow you to stick a paper clip or pin in the hole to pries the closing latch which will allow the tray to open, have you done this? 

This DVD drive can be described as fairly new and there is, unfortunately, no small hole which would allow for me to open this DVD drive.

@Boomwebsearch 

9 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

This DVD drive can be described as fairly new and there is, unfortunately, no small hole which would allow for me to open this DVD drive.

Nothing like this right?.....do you know the drive serial or model?

this.jpg

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Sounds like the kind of thing linus might spend 9 months testing by actually opening and closing the drive a billion times... xD 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

it will last until it's time to spend another $10 on a new one

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Until it loses its job to all the digital storage solutions coming here illegally. #BuildTheFirewall

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

It all depends on the quality of the drive. There's no set number. You have DVD drives nearing the 2 decade mark that work fine and you can have a brand new drive or something that's barely a year old failing.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I discovered the issue earlier today in the morning. The issue was that the physical cables connecting the drive to the power supply had worn out. After replacing the cable/s the drive is now functioning as normal although I am not entirely sure why the connectors had worn out. I think that it probably got worn out due to age although there is really no way to know for sure. Thanks to everyone who posted and contributed to solving my problem. I hope that this drive will continue work in the future.

@Boomwebsearch