I was told that 1080p is "unusable" and that anyone who thought it was "has never used a computer for anything but gaming"

TurbulentWinds

Is 1080p usable?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Is 1080p usable? (No BS)

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is the lowest res you would consider usable? (No BS)

• 240p
    • 360p
    • 480p
    • 720p
    • 900p
    • 1080p

LMAO at the idiots who said 4K is minimum.  Probably children.  Just this week a guy on here (who shockingly turned out to be a kid) said anything below 4K is "low resolution".  xD

I said 480p.  I don't like it, but I'll use SD if necessary.  Below that it just gets really difficult to read stuff.

@TurbulentWinds Was the guy who told you this heimdali?

Edit: Yep, same guy I argued with.  Like most kids, he's going through his "superiority" phase.  Kids are dumb, there's no reason to spend some much time arguing over one.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, Glenwing said:

"Unusable... You keep using that word... I do not think it mean what you think it means..."

Just a heads up since you're staff, that guy has been causing a lot of arguments.  Part of me thinks he might be a troll who has never even seen a 4K monitor.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

LMAO at the idiots who said 4K is minimum.  Probably children.  Just this week a guy on here (who shockingly turned out to be a kid) said anything below 4K is "low resolution".  xD

I said 480p.  I don't like it, but I'll use SD if necessary.  Below that it just gets really difficult to read stuff.

@TurbulentWinds Was the guy who told you this heimdali?

Edit: Yep, same guy I argued with.  Like most kids, he's going through his "superiority" phase.  Kids are dumb, there's no reason to spend some much time arguing over one.

I don't get people who think 1080p sucks... I mean, I have a 4k TV, but if I switched to 1080p I wouldn't mind, if I even notice the difference.

Anyway, not all kids are idiots, just the majority xD

Edited by ChaseCraft
Rephrase

Well i use to PC game at 720p 30GHz  *(like 2 months ago) so i had to say 720p lol

If 1080p is unusable, then what the hell have we been using for the last 12 years?

If talking about purely gaming, then it really depends on the game. If you're playing Space Quest 1, you're playing it at 160x200. 160x200 is unusable in today's games, but not games from the 1980s.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

IMO 1080p is 100% usable up to about 24", after that it looks too grainy. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

1080p is fine for pretty much anything in my book. Lowest I'd go today would be 720p. For gaming and office work that is. (Though for work I really prefer two or more monitors, less juggling windows around.)

There's also a huge difference between something being nice to use, usable and straight up unusable. If anyone calls 1080p unusable that's just BS.

its more that too high a resolution becomes less usable because you have to deal with scaleing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 11/10/2017 at 1:42 AM, AluminiumTech said:

An appropriate GPU is still far too expensive.

I play most games in 4k with my 1070. Disabling antialiasing and lowering some other setting from max to high or medium can do wonders for performance. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

1080p isn't great for viewing documents, web pages, etc. I have a 1920x1200 screen. That used to be the standard, until monitor manufacturers decided they could save money and market 1920x1080 as "high definition". There even used to be 2560x1600 screens and I had one. The amount of screen real estate you get is great. That got replaced by 2560x1440. Only now with 4K have we gained usable screen area

1080p is usable on something like a laptop (13-15" screen) in Windows were scaling isn't great.  On a dedicated monitor I'd prefer a minimum of 1920x1200. 

I currently have a 32" 4k monitor scaled to 3008x1692 in Mac OS which is a very nice bump over my previous 30" 2560x1600, 4k is unusable at native res though and in Windows it isn't great with scaling either.

I run a pair of mismatched 768P panels. Up until just a few years ago, I used my 480i tube tv. Low resolution is nothing new to me.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…