Why so many Define R4 fanboy/fangirls

brownninja97
Go to solution Solved by Tr1kk1,

im not trying to be a dick about so dont put me on the same level as those dicks on youtube. Anyways im just trying to understand why so many people like the case when i dont see anything special in it.  I apologise if im coming across as a dick.

Before i bought the define r4.I had the cooler master haf XB,Which is a awesome case,I had to change it because it was next to me,and i couldn't take the noise,my R0 280X was making.So the reason i bought the R4,was pretty simple.I looked several videos and forum posts,about different cases.My last 2 choices was a Corsair case or the R4.And i chose the R4,Secondly,It's quiet,runs cool,i like the "rugged" feel to it.I would even hide the whole case,if it could run quiet and cool.

I just cant get my head around with, why would you want your pc to be silent but then have higher temps. I understand that the build quality is awesome but I dont understand why people just want a box, the design of the R4 is stupidly simple(exterior wise), its a box with a little led at the top. Everyone seems to like it but i when i built in it I failed to see what was so great about it, ive built in quite a lot of cases and the fractal design just doesnt stand out for me. 

Please someone explain.

On another note for future reference in threads, if someone needs help to get a £50/$50 case dont recommend the damn define R4, find a sub £$50 case instead.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I just cant get my head around with, why would you want your pc to be silent but then have higher temps. I understand that the build quality is awesome but I dont understand why people just want a box, the design of the R4 is stupidly simple(exterior wise), its a box with a little led at the top. Everyone seems to like it but i when i built in it I failed to see what was so great about it, ive built in quite a lot of cases and the fractal design just doesnt stand out for me. 

Please someone explain.

On another note for future reference in threads, if someone needs help to get a £50/$50 case dont recommend the damn define R4, find a sub £$50 case instead.

i dont understand to why do many like that Case.. i personally dont really like it it looks like a regular case to me nothing speciall, but thats only that i think

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I love that case :D Its quiet, its plain, its cheap, its awesome :)

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Truly overhyped.

Realistic possibility: Those people go after whatever Linus likes.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

Not everyone wants a flashy/tacky case.

The R4 is a simple, effective, silent case that has the simplistic look with a window to show of your LED's/hardware.

You get silence for higher temperatures which some won't like sure but the R4 is pretty much the best (opinion) ATX case for any situation unless you need low low temperatures 

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

It's just an awesome case. Very simple looking and only what's needed is there. Also a good choice if you're not into the cases that look like spaceships (NZXT Phantom).

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

@brownninja97

Using the Define mini. Build quality is outstanding. It's noise dampened. It's well layed out. And most importantly it's minimalistic.

I'm using a Xigmatek Elysium as my main watercooled PC. It's huge but designed in straight lines and rather minimalistic.

You have to take into account that some people simply don't like the shiny "ERMAGAWD IM 11YO AND MY PC HAS A DRAGON ON IT AND WILL GIVE YOU EPILEPSY IF YOU STAND TOO CLOSE"-kind of case.

My Elysium has no LED strips or anything in it. My 2500k reached upto 60°C with  a 360x80mm and a 360x60mm rad, sounds like a lot, but if you're further than 3ft away from it you can't hear it anymore. [6x Noctua NFF12 750-850RPM]

The Define Cases are neutral and appealing to a broad audience, as it's sleek, can be an attraction if modded / displayed or can be very decent and it does it's job perfectly well.

Following your argumentation you could basically buy some 900D and equip it with 27 Delta fans. You might need hearing protection when being anywhere close to it but it will perform well...

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I bought it because of how it looks. Simple isn't always a bad thing.

Also, I don't see the point in having lower temperatures if it's not going to noticeably change the computer's performance.

Truly overhyped.

Realistic possibility: Those people go after whatever Linus likes.

I had my Define Mini before I saw Linus talk about anything Fractal. Found it by browsing one of my local retailers and thought my Linuxbox, which runs at night, could be more quiet ^^

Hell, I wanted to get a Corsair case but when I went to Microcenter with all my saved up monies they had just sold the last one so I went with the R4. Couldn't have been happier and I've since built another system in the R4 for a client.

They are subtle, quiet, and clean. Also I haven't experienced any temperature issues with my case, but that may be because I added two extra 140mm fans and I run liquid cooling...still quiet. 

why would you want your pc to be silent but then have higher temps.

Not sure if serious.. Would be pretty sick if you could undervolt your fans and get better temperatures. Unfortunatly that's just not how things work.

R4 is great. It offers lots of possibilites for different hardware setups, especially for the price. Looks great, but that's obviously a matter of personal preference.

I didn't want a case that had funky stripes and leds all over the place with huge see through holes and a logo on the front.

I like the minimalistic and simple design of the Define R4.

I also bought it for the fact that it is silence optimized, which my build is aimed at. (All fans in my system are Noctua's)

I'm gonna put two 290's in there for example... I don't see the problem?

(All though, I'm probably gonna cool them with silent 140mm closed loop water coolers thanks to the NZXT G10.)

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

People like simple cases sometimes. That's why I want a 350D. And that's also why my old gaming rig was stuffed in a modified Dell OptiPlex GX270 case. Simple, and it was a sleeper (looked like your grandma's grocery getter, but was actually your daddy's Lamborghini you never knew about).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Part of the reason I went with the case was the price was right, it has good cable management and I honestly like the simple look of the case. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think the best thing about the Define R4 is its price for what is has, its silence optimized, its cheap, its solid with almost all metal construction, it has support for big watercoolers and it has a very clean look which people like that don't want there PC to be so obvious in a room.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I agree that it's quite a bit overhyped, but that's just because I personally like a little bit of flare in a case.  Not to the point of being gaudy (e.g. Thermaltake Level 10) but more than just a box.

But lots of people just want a box.  They don't want their PCs to look like a gaming PC.  And that's fine.

I can't imagine feature-wise it's that much better than other cases though.  Pretty much any modern case in the $80-$100 range will have very similar feature sets.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I agree that it's quite a bit overhyped, but that's just because I personally like a little bit of flare in a case.  Not to the point of being gaudy (e.g. Thermaltake Level 10) but more than just a box.

But lots of people just want a box.  They don't want their PCs to look like a gaming PC.  And that's fine.

I can't imagine feature-wise it's that much better than other cases though.  Pretty much any modern case in the $80-$100 range will have very similar feature sets.

Well the noise dampening stuff, fan-filters, fan controller, thick steel construction and all metal HDD slides are quite rare features at this price point, especially if you add them up ;)

buy some 900D and equip it with 27 Delta fans. You might need hearing protection when being anywhere close to it but it will perform well..

I just lost it and now I am uncontrollably laughing

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

A lot of people are not a fan of flashy cases, including me( Kids seem to be attracted to Red LED lights...) The define r4 is a case that many people love because of its Build quality, low noise, and design. It's an opinion that many share, but I like the 750D more.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

While I don't have the Define R4 (ARC Midi R2 for me) I get the whole simplicity and quiet thing I bought a Corsair 600T and at the time and it was an awesome case but as time passed I got tired of how big and bulky it was and I guess the loudness of the fans finally took it's toll on me. I never thought Id say this but quietness "fan wise" is very nice. 

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

why would you want your pc to be silent but then have higher temps. the design of the R4 is stupidly simple(exterior wise)

Please someone explain.

You pretty much explained it, bro. Not everyone want to hear fans howling especially when they run the computer 24/7 in their bedroom ( people like me lol ). And not everyone like crazy looking cases, different people have different taste :)

I don't even care about temps, I think Fractal makes beautiful cases. They are built well, with good materials and look really sleek.

I'd take something with "higher temps" any day over another god-awful Cooler Master HAF hunk of plastic. I really dislike plastic cases. Let alone "ricey" ones.

I love that case :D Its quiet, its plain, its cheap, its awesome :)

People like simple cases sometimes. That's why I want a 350D. And that's also why my old gaming rig was stuffed in a modified Dell OptiPlex GX270 case. Simple, and it was a sleeper (looked like your grandma's grocery getter, but was actually your daddy's Lamborghini you never knew about).

A lot of people are not a fan of flashy cases, including me( Kids seem to be attracted to Red LED lights...) The define r4 is a case that many people love because of its Build quality, low noise, and design. It's an opinion that many share, but I like the 750D more.

Part of the reason I went with the case was the price was right, it has good cable management and I honestly like the simple look of the case. 

It's just an awesome case. Very simple looking and only what's needed is there. Also a good choice if you're not into the cases that look like spaceships (NZXT Phantom).

So why isnt the Arc midi r2 the most loved case, it looks simple, it has some padding, its easier to mess around with, build quality is awesome, I completely in many ways understand why you all like it simple, but id prefer to have some sort of design instead of a little led at the top, something like the nzxt h230 is what im aiming for.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Please someone explain.

I just bought one,Let me say that the build quality and how silent and cool everything runs it's great.My computer is under the table,so i don't need a flashy side window,leds,nor do i ever buy going to buy those.To me the computer is hidden and quiet,is more important.And btw,this post should have been deleted from the start.Why you waste your time on something you hate? Your just the same as all the haters on youtube,who has to go on every channel to post how much they hate the product,music,movies......  

I just bought one,Let me say that the build quality and how silent and cool everything runs it's great.My computer is under the table,so i don't need a flashy side window,leds,nor do i ever buy going to buy those.To me the computer is hidden and quiet,is more important.And btw,this post should have been deleted from the start.Why you waste your time on something you hate? Your just the same as all the haters on youtube,who has to go on every channel to post how much they hate the product,music,movies......  

You're* :rolleyes: also you're not the boss here.... everybody can make certain topics everyway he or she wants.

here i tell you what, why waste your time by replying to someone who hates the thing you have?

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.