SwagMasterIV

You may be able to get away with a newer GPU like the 1050TI or 1060 3GB and use shadow play however, its gonna be a real struggle to do gaming and record, and rendering in Sony Vegas is gonna be pretty slow with the cpu you have

No, GPUs don't have any type of video input. Their purpose is to output video. Get an Elgato HD60s.

Edited by Ryois
grammatical

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

No, GPUs don't have any type of video input. Their purpose is to output video. Get an Elgato HD60s.

Nvida GPUS have the capability of shadow play, video input would matter if he was trying to record from a console to a PC, or other systems.

You can use your spare gpu for encoding from one

6th series supports hevc. But you have to select to hevc from you 1 (0 whould be the main one)

8 minutes ago, SwagMasterIV said:

I plan on using it as a separate system from my gaming system for mainly productivity and whatnot. Mainly, I plan on using it along my gaming system for rendering in Sony Vegas and recording, maybe even streaming.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Nvida GPUS have the capability of shadow play, video input would matter if he was trying to record from a console to a PC, or other systems.

my interpretation is   He wants to plug in a video output from his gaming rig to this mini ITX for streaming and rec.

6 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You may be able to get away with a newer GPU like the 1050TI or 1060 3GB and use shadow play however, its gonna be a real struggle to do gaming and record, and rendering in Sony Vegas is gonna be pretty slow with the cpu you have

as long as he enables gpu acceleration for rendering its pretty fast

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

the HD60s is an external USB capture card.

The 's' variant has no on board encoder so would not be great for the Pentium. The standard HD60 would be better suited for this build.

Just now, mikat said:

wait they make an external one? I only knew about the HD60 so I thought you were talking about that :)

HD60 is the older one. HD60s is a higher quality external USB, and the HD60Pro is a PCIE.

Just now, Tiwaz said:

as long as he enables gpu acceleration for rendering its pretty fast

I agree it will increase the speed of the rendering but the CPU will still bottleneck it.

Nvidia has shadowplay and AMD have Relive, so not much need for a capture card, unless your gpu of choice can't handle gaming + capturing at the same time.

Your main issue will probably be CPU bound though(as you mentioned), gaming and recording with that Pentium will definitely max out it's usage, and may cause some drops in performance. You definitely won't be streaming with it, either.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, ben_lewis said:

The 's' variant has no on board encoder so would not be great for the Pentium. The standard HD60 would be better suited for this build.

Yes I know. This build would also be better suited with an r3 as someone else mentioned above.

27 minutes ago, SwagMasterIV said:

I kinda need a capture card, because I’m not sure if the G4560 can handle recording it at my desired settings by itself.

you kinda got that wrong. 

a capture card does NOTHING to help your CPU encode video. a somewhat modern GPU does (GTX 650 or newer, GT cards can't do it AFAIK ) 

a capture card provides a video input port (HDMI is the most common) - that's all it does. 

if you want to capture footage from your gaming pc, you NEED a capture device with a video input port - take a usb variant if you don't have space for an internal card. 

8 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

you kinda got that wrong. 

a capture card does NOTHING to help your CPU encode video. a somewhat modern GPU does (GTX 650 or newer, GT cards can't do it AFAIK ) 

a capture card provides a video input port (HDMI is the most common) - that's all it does. 

if you want to capture footage from your gaming pc, you NEED a capture device with a video input port - take a usb variant if you don't have space for an internal card. 

Not necessarily; the more expensive ones (Elgato, Hauppauge etc...) have built in H.264 encoders which will take the load off the CPU. Cheaper ones will either not have one at all, or the quality will be pretty low quality. 

12 minutes ago, ben_lewis said:

Not necessarily; the more expensive ones (Elgato, Hauppauge etc...) have built in H.264 encoders which will take the load off the CPU. Cheaper ones will either not have one at all, or the quality will be pretty low quality. 

i could be wrong on this but AFAIK the "built in H.264 encoder" only encodes the video captured by the card itself.

that means the computer will recieve a H.264 stream from the card and IF no further processing is required (like when you just want to record the video as is) the CPU does not need to do much. 

but when you want to stream games on twitch or record lets plays you probably want to add a facecam and overlays using the streaming software of your choice (obs, xsplit, etc) - then the video coming from the capture card needs to be decoded, processed and re-encoded, probably to a different resolution and bitrate and to my knowledge, the capture card does not help with that. 

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is old but if you’re doing mini itx or micro atx

cant you find a board with a 1x slot too?

blackmagic design makes a pcie 1x capture card with an sdi and an hdmi input