Which car should I get?

Caleb SF

So I currently have a 2013 Scion tC Release Series 8.0, it only has 32k miles and I've kept it very clean. I was looking at trading it in for crossover from around 2014, sort of near $17k. I know Toyota's are reliable and hold their value pretty well.

Should I get a Toyota RAV4, Subaru Crosstrek, or Subaru Forester?

Why?

Are the hybrid versions any better or worse?

Thanks! I don't know a lot about cars and am really curious.

Just now, Caleb SF said:

So I currently have a 2013 Scion tC Release Series 8.0, it only has 32k miles and I've kept it very clean. I was looking at trading it in for crossover from around 2014, sort of near $17k. I know Toyota's are reliable and hold their value pretty well.

Why?

Why a crossover if I may ask? 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

19 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

Why?

I'd look seriously at the RAV4 - the newer models are damn slick. I'd get AWD (Not sure if they even make FWD versions anymore).

As for Hybrid, depends on the cost premium.

Look at your average KM's driven, then using the L/100KM (or MPG) rating, calculate your average fuel bill. Multiply that by how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

Finally, compare that value vs the value the Hybrid would produce, and cross reference against the cost difference between Hybrid vs non-Hybrid.

In some cases, the cost premium will simply be too high to break even. In other cases, you pay more up front, but save a lot of money in the long run.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

44 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Why a crossover if I may ask? 

I really dont like huge vehicles. I already park far away from people in fear that ill hit someone trying to back out or pull into a parking spot.

23 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I'd look seriously at the RAV4 - the newer models are damn slick. I'd get AWD (Not sure if they even make FWD versions anymore).

As for Hybrid, depends on the cost premium.

Look at your average KM's driven, then using the L/100KM (or MPG) rating, calculate your average fuel bill. Multiply that by how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

Finally, compare that value vs the value the Hybrid would produce, and cross reference against the cost difference between Hybrid vs non-Hybrid.

In some cases, the cost premium will simply be too high to break even. In other cases, you pay more up front, but save a lot of money in the long run.

By the looks of it, the hybrids are only maybe $1000 more than the normal. I only drove from home to school before so I was getting like 24 mpg, not on the highway, just back roads.

3 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

I really dont like huge vehicles. I already park far away from people in fear that ill hit someone trying to back out or pull into a parking spot.

Why are you wanting to get a new car? Your current car seems like it would be fine, and it is a Toyota just so you know.

`

I only know of 2 people with Hybrids, i think one is a plugin and the other isn't. A plugin would be the best bet as it would lower the cost of travel, but that means jack all if the price doesnt add up (as mentioned above).

If you do go with a hybrid make sure the battery pack gets checked, the last thing you want is a 50% battery life needing replacement within 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

That makes things more puzzling as crossovers are generally "bigger" than sedans.

17 minutes ago, klh2000 said:

Why are you wanting to get a new car? Your current car seems like it would be fine, and it is a Toyota just so you know.

No i know its a toyota, and I wanted something that handles a bit better in winter. It's not the most comfortable ride

17 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I only know of 2 people with Hybrids, i think one is a plugin and the other isn't. A plugin would be the best bet as it would lower the cost of travel, but that means jack all if the price doesnt add up (as mentioned above).

If you do go with a hybrid make sure the battery pack gets checked, the last thing you want is a 50% battery life needing replacement within 5 years.

That makes things more puzzling as crossovers are generally "bigger" than sedans.

Yeah i wanted to switch though out of a sedan. Better handling in winter and in general. More storage. Overall it seems like a better experience.

What about a station wagon? There's one parked in my driveway (it's 13 years old), no worst than SUV's but not as tall.

Only downside is Prius V is the only hybrid of 2014, there is the Jetta a year earlier but then you get into the volkswagen scandal...

I hate SUV/Crossover, and minivans, too high (im 6') for my taste and i find most who drive them have bigger ego's than a Panzer.

If you go with the crossover route via a dealer see if they will let you take it home for a day to see if it works for you.

For better winter handling better winter tires (or all season even, not the cheap walmart brand ones) will work wonders. Also ensuring your alignment is good is also key. Taller vehicles are far worse in winter than what people think. I'm not saying you would be one of them, but i should point out the center of gravity is totally different from what you are used to. My time in a Minivan (grand caravan over various model versions) even in the front seat i could feel the weight move differently compared to the wagon.

Dead set on those choices? I think the RX350 (a year or two older) and the Lincoln MKX are both good choices as well.

Or, like @Egg-Roll suggested, you could look at some station wagons. There are a lot of pretty good ones out there, depending on what you're looking for. Though I disagree with his views on crossovers :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

47 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Dead set on those choices? I think the RX350 (a year or two older) and the Lincoln MKX are both good choices as well.

Or, like @Egg-Roll suggested, you could look at some station wagons. There are a lot of pretty good ones out there, depending on what you're looking for. Though I disagree with his views on crossovers :P

It seems like most Lexus RX350's are fairly expensive. A used 2011 with 80k miles is around $18k. The Lincolns are a little closer to it with a 2013 45k miles, for $20k.

Mostly i picked those specifically because 1. I like the looks 2. We own all Toyota's and they seem pretty reliable 3. Subaru parts are common and they are also decently reliable

9 minutes ago, Caleb SF said:

It seems like most Lexus RX350's are fairly expensive. A used 2011 with 80k miles is around $18k. The Lincolns are a little closer to it with a 2013 45k miles, for $20k.

Mostly i picked those specifically because 1. I like the looks 2. We own all Toyota's and they seem pretty reliable 3. Subaru parts are common and they are also decently reliable

Are they that expensive? I remember looking at pricing on them and it was a lot more reasonable. Though I was looking nation wide.

If you're worried about snow, then the Forester with XMode gets my vote.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

41 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Are they that expensive? I remember looking at pricing on them and it was a lot more reasonable. Though I was looking nation wide.

If you're worried about snow, then the Forester with XMode gets my vote.

I mean not really worried about snow, although i did slide into a rock pretty bad when my dentist didn't clear their drive. More or less just the space and its more future proofing. 

Also those were prices in my area

9 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

I really want you to get a wagon bc they are pretty nice, though really the only good wagons are made by luxury manufacturers and subaru, so really it's kinda limited in choosing.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This might be a good question for the car thread in the off topic section. I think you should get something that is capable (can go on dirt roads and such) while also getting good gas mileage and having a comfortable ride.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

take a look at the Saab 9-2x and impreza station wagon

they're pretty neato

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

if you want to save a ton of money and go with a used car, i'm pretty sure some older rav4 model would do alright, like 10-15k$ 2013 model or something

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

take a look at the Saab 9-2x and impreza station wagon

they're pretty neato

I can vouch for the Saab 9-2X.  I still have my 2006 Saab 9-2 Aero.  2.5 liter turbo charged 4 cylinder.  Great engine.  Full time all wheel drive and man does it handle anything you throw at it.  The only down side to it is if you get into an accident on the front end of the vehicle.  Parts are scarce for the actual Saab front end.  But the Subaru front end bolts right on with no issue....being that its made my Fuji Heavy Industries...aka Subaru.

But if I were you I would honestly avoid the Crosstrek.  My wifes cousin has one and I drove it for a few months.  Its comfortable but its lacking in power.  Now the personal choice for me would be a Forrester or an Impreza.  The Toyota to me has no soul in it.  Its rather lack luster in every department.  But what it does have is that reliability that has be proven again and again.

As for Hybrids.....I absolutely hate them.  I have nothing against protecting the environment but I prefer my cars to have soul.  The only hybrids I could even consider owning run upwards of 80K USD.  My current daily driver gets almost as good of fuel mileage as majority of hybrids without sacrificing the fun of driving.  Got to love my little 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye Edition.  Little 1.4 Turbo with a 6 speed manual transmission.

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

13 hours ago, Caleb SF said:

I mean not really worried about snow, although i did slide into a rock pretty bad when my dentist didn't clear their drive. More or less just the space and its more future proofing. 

Also those were prices in my area

It depends really on your definition of future proof. 

Like here in Canada if theirs no legal limits on purchasing a car you could spend a weekend to test drive and possibly buy if it means saving a couple of grand.

8 hours ago, terrytek said:

I really want you to get a wagon bc they are pretty nice, though really the only good wagons are made by luxury manufacturers and subaru, so really it's kinda limited in choosing.

Because wagons are based on a sedan generally as a rule if the sedan is good and reliable so should the wagon.

That being said the car in my driveway got sat on by a MKX :D it's a taurus.

16 hours ago, dizmo said:

My personal bias is based on the locals and how they drive them. 

21 hours ago, dizmo said:

Wish Mazda would bring the 6 Wagon over here. I love station wagons but unfortunately SUVs and crossovers have taken over the market. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Wish Mazda would bring the 6 Wagon over here. I love station wagons but unfortunately SUVs and crossovers have taken over the market. 

Damn, I just looked at the new one and it looks pretty slick! I'm still waiting for the import ban to be over on the RS6 Avant :P Something about having a Lambo derived V10 in a wagon just seems so....right. At least Mercedes put out the C class wagon this year. I blame Americans. They hate wagons. Though when I move back to Vancouver I'll most likely get an LR4...guilty.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Damn, I just looked at the new one and it looks pretty slick! I'm still waiting for the import ban to be over on the RS6 Avant :P Something about having a Lambo derived V10 in a wagon just seems so....right. At least Mercedes put out the C class wagon this year. I blame Americans. They hate wagons. Though when I move back to Vancouver I'll most likely get an LR4...guilty.

You haven't seen the C63 AMG Edition 502 Wagon then ;). It's no V10, but a 502HP naturally aspirated V8 in a W204 wagon is just insane. I'd love one. You know that one the Mazda 6, the outline of the grill lights up right? It's just amazing at night. I wouldn't mind having a SUV or crossover as a family car (i.e. second car). :P

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

16 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You haven't seen the C63 AMG Edition 502 Wagon then ;). It's no V10, but a 502HP naturally aspirated V8 in a W204 wagon is just insane. I'd love one. You know that one the Mazda 6, the outline of the grill lights up right? It's just amazing at night. I wouldn't mind having a SUV or crossover as a family car (i.e. second car). :P

OH man that looks sexy. I do like the aggressiveness of the Benz cars, though the interior until the W205 always struck me as a little cheap looking. I was very tempted to import a W210 E55t. Still kind of am. Though the W211 will soon be of age as well.

It does? Sick! That's a nice take on the DRL. If I had a second car, hands down a Lotus Evora with a GTE kit.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

OH man that looks sexy. I do like the aggressiveness of the Benz cars, though the interior until the W205 always struck me as a little cheap looking. I was very tempted to import a W210 E55t. Still kind of am. Though the W211 will soon be of age as well.

It does? Sick! That's a nice take on the DRL. If I had a second car, hands down a Lotus Evora with a GTE kit.

Yep, it looks amazing. The W212 is my favourite E class. The aggressive looks just gets me all the time. I agree, the W205 interior does look a bit cheap, but I find that's really only the case if it's the piano black finish (honestly anything with piano black looks cheap nowadays). With the wood options, damn does it look nice. But it's a god damn fingerprint magnet to the max. Not much of a fan of Merc's current design language for the exterior. Reminds me of a fish. Though they did make a car that looks like a fish before so maybe that's where it came from. The W204, W212, and W221 to me, was the pinnacle of Mercedes exterior design. The ones a generation down also look amazing compared to its rivals.