Our school's IT is dumb. I need help!

Ryois

So at our school, the IT is clueless about what our teachers and students need/want out of our technology.

• First of all, we cannot change our password https://gyazo.com/e113ef17fdf965644b8fabaf16fd2199. Our passwords are six digit numeric only passwords.
  • Secondly, students cannot email and we cannot receive emails outside our domain. Example my@gmail.com to myschool@assigned.email
    • other teachers that are not our teachers
    • other students
    • outside our domain
  • Third, our website is absolute trash. It's not mobile friendly, it takes many clicks and going back to view a simple page.

I need help on trying to communicate these problems with them. Should I try to talk in person with them or send them an email assuming I can email them or what? Other students are frustrated with these problems.

They won't listen.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Ouw schools push off managing ouw websites, and ouw IT depawtments awe a single pewson. Well, in my one school we awe the IT depawtment. I think you should talk to them and make a few wecommendations, but it also sounds they awe wather nyew. If they awe nyew, dont be wude about it, with school wegulations its vewy difficult to set up a good system quickly

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

Ouw schools push off managing ouw websites, and ouw IT depawtments awe a single pewson. Well, in my one school we awe the IT depawtment. I think you should talk to them and make a few wecommendations, but it also sounds they awe wather nyew. If they awe nyew, dont be wude about it, with school wegulations its vewy difficult to set up a good system quickly

We had them before we switched to Azure Active Directory which was 3 years ago.

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

We had them before we switched to Azure Active Directory which was 3 years ago.

Then pobabwly they wont wisten wike kelvin said :( Usually the IT depawtment is undew compeewt contwol by the school weaders. They follow diwections from the highew ups and they cant weally make any changes they want without consent from the diwectors.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

Then pobabwly they wont wisten wike kelvin said :( Usually the IT depawtment is undew compeewt contwol by the school weaders. They follow diwections from the highew ups and they cant weally make any changes they want without consent from the diwectors.

Bawwy, is that you?

f4a433689ed94942364b7b3de5279a75--bang-bang-the-big-bang-theory.jpg.d50e515c1c075983876f176d518055c7.jpg

11 minutes ago, Ryois said:

why?

Because schools don't give a shit about what the students think.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Because schools don't give a shit about what the students think.

7 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

We are very influential and it’s about our security on our student accounts. I know several students logins because of our passwords. They’re our county issued student ids. 

Yea sadly the email part is for safety of viruses and crap being sent by the less techy kids and the passwords (atleast for our school) is linked to our lunch number. Which kinda keeps everything organized as far as school stuff with school stuff and then your personal stuff well thats your problem. But in term of the web site we had our graphics design and web tech classes do a class project (8 periods) between graphics design and web tech

EX: 1st period web tech and 1st period graphics design. Where a big group and they held a small competition to make the best looking and functional website for the school

It worked really well considering there some high schoolers just starting out. But maybe you could try and convince those classes to do that and then you have more of a group of people to support you.

Just now, Ryois said:

We are very influential and it’s about our security on our student accounts. I know several students logins because of our passwords. They’re our county issued student ids. 

Well our one school had all our passwords on one file in a folder on admin resources. SO E-Z In this case I'd just blame the IT depawtment if anyone logs into your account.

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

They never listen. I have tried in the past. My old school was mostly Mac and if you went in with some issue or other they told you to get a Mac. After the 3rd time I ended up being rude to them. 

It was only after my parents complained to the management about the state of it all they bothered to setup something to allow printing off windows. Even then I had to find my own drivers among other things. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, lonely_sata_cable said:

Yea sadly the email part is for safety of viruses and crap being sent by the less techy kids and the passwords (atleast for our school) is linked to our lunch number. Which kinda keeps everything organized as far as school stuff with school stuff and then your personal stuff well thats your problem. But in term of the web site we had our graphics design and web tech classes do a class project (8 periods) between graphics design and web tech

EX: 1st period web tech and 1st period graphics design. Where a big group and they held a small competition to make the best looking and functional website for the school

It worked really well considering there some high schoolers just starting out. But maybe you could try and convince those classes to do that and then you have more of a group of people to support you.

We have Microsoft teams, we can already send viruses through that... and OneDrive. Passwords shouldn’t be 3 milliseconds to crack I don’t care if it’s not accessible outside of the machine it self. Active Directory is the way we log into aspen, canvas, Edulastic, o365, and the desktops/laptops.

1 minute ago, unknownmiscreant said:

They never listen. I have tried in the past. My old school was mostly Mac and if you went in with some issue or other they told you to get a Mac. After the 3rd time I ended up being rude to them. 

It was only after my parents complained to the management about the state of it all they bothered to setup something to allow printing off windows. Even then I had to find my own drivers among other things. 

Lucky for me both of my parents are teachers at our school.. I know my principal very well and she likes me and will consider suggestions from students like me.

Oh no i meant viruses sent from people outside the schools domain then the less techy kids ruin every thing

7 minutes ago, Ryois said:

We have Microsoft teams, we can already send viruses through that... and OneDrive. Passwords shouldn’t be 3 milliseconds to crack I don’t care if it’s not accessible outside of the machine it self. Active Directory is the way we log into aspen, canvas, Edulastic, o365, and the desktops/laptops.

Oh no i meant viruses sent from people outside the schools domain then the less techy kids ruin every thing

We can’t run executables on the PCs.

28 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

What the hell happened to your R key? xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

WoW your school must suck that would be my last straw where i start bringing my own laptop. Lol

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

We can’t run executables on the PCs.

WoW your school must suck that would be my last straw where i start bringing my own laptop. Lol

We can’t have laptops, iPads, phones, other electronic devices out...

No comment

Just now, Ryois said:

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

that sucks! We can bwing ouw PC's, consoles, laptops, phones anyting. We boot linux on the school compuwtews. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

40 minutes ago, Ryois said:

So at our school, the IT is clueless about what our teachers and students need/want out of our technology.

• First of all, we cannot change our password https://gyazo.com/e113ef17fdf965644b8fabaf16fd2199. Our passwords are six digit numeric only passwords.
  • Secondly, students cannot email and we cannot receive emails outside our domain. Example my@gmail.com to myschool@assigned.email
    • other teachers that are not our teachers
    • other students
    • outside our domain
  • Third, our website is absolute trash. It's not mobile friendly, it takes many clicks and going back to view a simple page.

I need help on trying to communicate these problems with them. Should I try to talk in person with them or send them an email assuming I can email them or what? Other students are frustrated with these problems.

1. Likely because they don't want to have to deal with a bunch of kids forgetting their passwords constantly.

2. That's pretty dumb.

3. Bring it up with them. I doubt they'll do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

that sucks! We can bwing ouw PC's, consoles, laptops, phones anyting. We boot linux on the school compuwtews. 

Bioses have a password... you can’t mash any key to get into dell boot selection..

Just now, TheKDub said:

1. Likely because they don't want to have to deal with a bunch of kids forgetting their passwords constantly.

2. That's pretty dumb.

3. Bring it up with them. I doubt they'll do anything, but it's worth a shot.

Point 1: any teachers can add a note on our aspen so that all teachers can see it.

Point 2: exactly

Pont 3: I already tried...