Performance per Dollar Ryzen Build Guide

This isn't a performance-per-dollar build.  This is moreso a not-overkill build.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

9 hours ago, Fiat-Libertas said:

Like this video. Best build guide you've done in awhile.

<snip>

IMO, it really isn't. Ltt doesn't have a knack for build lists anymore.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 10/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, DocSwag said:

If he doesn't recommend it why did he use it...

Because Linus said he wanted to compare benchmarks with SLI and the single card configuration, which are both in the video... If you would've just watched it... Instead of just complaining. 

10 hours ago, CalhounTyphoon said:

Because Linus said he wanted to compare benchmarks with SLI and the single card configuration, which are both in the video... If you would've just watched it... Instead of just complaining. 

Did he test both?

I didn't watch the video, because the list was too bad for me to do it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

The list is fantastic if you apply it in the US or UK maybe the Deustchlands

but not in my country, i even plan on getting a $700 R5 1400 + RX 460 4GB + AB350 Pro4 + 8GB DDR4 + 500GB HDD

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Registered an account here just to comment about this video which I found really poorly made for LTT's normal quality.

The first problem that popped out to me was what I can only assume is an editing error. The first step of the video after the intro is to tell the viewer to "Post" their system and verify if it "outputs to display". Then after showing this step, Linus introduces the CPU and the second step is to insert the CPU which will be used in this build. 

Next up, you're building Performance per buck. So naturally (what?) Linus decides to buy an AIO cooler for a CPU that comes with a stock cooler. He also says the reason for choosing that CPU was a factor because it came with a stock cooler. So why the AIO? Well maybe it has something to do with the fabricated prices? The MasterLiquid Lite 120 All-in-one as shown in the video is listed on Amazon.com for $55.04 but in the build guide at the end of the video you list it as costing $28? I don't even think it's ever been on sale for this price and even if it was you probably shouldn't make a build guide using sale prices unless you address them as such. I'm really not sure what happened here. Did you transpose the price of a Cooler Master Hyper 612 by mistake?

Again for price jigging you've got Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz listed for $127 but it is currently listed on Amazon.dom (link in the description) for $194 and again, I'm fairly sure it wasn't a sale or a lower price when the video was made.

Did you buy used parts for these builds? EVGA Supernova 650 G2 you claim is $100 on Amazon.com for $113. How does this keep happening???

Amazon tells me We found 0 results for "EVGA SuperClocked 2 GTX 1070" they call all the Superclocked 2 cards "SC2" that link wasn't really great. Who knows why you even recommend a 1070 card with 1070ti right on our doorstep and the SLI I can only explain by knowing that Linus can only get hard thinking about SLI video cards. (You also mention a high bandwidth bridge but dont mention the price or even factor it into the build guide even though its shown on the final build, cool!) The video card benchmarks and comparison of SLI seemed like a complete waste of time and should have been dropped from the video. You bought and 1080p panel and focused on 1080p but the SLI had very little advantage for 1080p and only showed itself at 4K. So why include it? Since it's a BANG FOR YOUR BUCK build. Why not take that ~$400 from the second video card and see what could be done. Is there a reason to jump to Ryzen 7? 

At the end of the video you list the cheaper build as using a Buy EVGA BRONZE 550W G2 but your description links only have the EVGA BRONZE 500W which was discussed briefly if you were not doing the SLI? Prices seem out of wack again but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

Since the entire reason Linus wanted to use the SLI and X370 board was almost completely negated by the results. Did anyone think to chart the cost over performance between the two builds? That seems like a key part of the entire video and at the end its just sort of Linus in a depression saying "Well, don't build the SLI one"

The last thing I'll mention is how strange the video is. It's a real Frankenstein's monster of is this a build guide or is this a comparison of cost for performance or is this a how to build a computer for a first timer video? I'm not sure why we got basic info like how to insert a CPU, attach front bezel headers, what screws on the case to get the side panel off? 

Thanks for the video James and Linus. I just feel it missed the mark. In a perfect world the video could have been more organic and featured both James and Linus discussing the price for performance and advantages of Ryzen. Then finishing with some real numbers on cost and results of both their ideas.

On 30/10/2017 at 2:02 PM, James said:

for the least money!

The quote that bugs me so much in the video is

We wanted to benchmark our system in both single graphics card and SLI configurations to see how they stack up form a performance for dollar standpoint.

I feel like it would have been nice if rather than just reading the script Linus had said "I personally think SLI will improve performance, so we're trying it."

Also I found the High bandwidth SLI bridge you used but didn't include in the costs. Its $40 lol

2017-11-02_19h28_56.png

On 10/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, JoshIsMean said:

They do configs with and without SLI in the video, and he explains why he uses SLI in the video as well. 

Only if people actually watched the vid before running off their mouths

I wish build guides, especially bang/$ and builds centered around a particular budget (high or low) would contain a price list that was used.  Prices do fluctuate depending on availability and region of course, but providing something current as of the time of the video would help people (or at least me) have a frame of reference for these types of guides.

It's hard to gauge your bang for the buck when you don't know how much buck.

17 hours ago, KillDeer said:

The quote that bugs me so much in the video is

I feel like it would have been nice if rather than just reading the script Linus had said "I personally think SLI will improve performance, so we're trying it."

Also I found the High bandwidth SLI bridge you used but didn't include in the costs. Its $40 lol

2017-11-02_19h28_56.png

He didn't really think there was much of a debate until he saw the numbers, which happened after script review.

That SLI bridge wasn't used during bench-marking.

The motherboard you've chosen comes with a high bandwidth SLI bridge in the box. So why show the EVGA one? Why even mention High bandwidth SLI or put the EVGA one in all the glamor shots? 

Why ignore all the comments about dishonest prices?

Edit: Noticed a comment on the youtube that Linus calls the 8-pin power for the video card "VGA cable" I find it funny that the script being pre-written and no changes made afterwards but nobody catches all these errors? 

• 2 weeks later...

Question. Is the wraith spire cooler enough for an R5 1600 at 3.7 ghz?

• 11 months later...

Hey guys, just seen this build and was thinking about following it. Only thing is.. can you swap out the ryzen 5 1600 for a ryzen 5 2600 without any other changes? 

Thanks

24 minutes ago, ShadowIvara said:

Hey guys, just seen this build and was thinking about following it. Only thing is.. can you swap out the ryzen 5 1600 for a ryzen 5 2600 without any other changes? 

Thanks

You can, I would personally recommend changing out the motherboard in that case too; as there is a chance you might have to update the BIOS with a B350/X370 board. I would personally suggest something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($160.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.72 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($86.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($379.60 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW2 Gaming iCX Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($379.60 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($96.78 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1614.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-15 16:07 EDT-0400

I changed some parts out and you can alternate this list in same areas.

For example, I set up an SLI GTX 1070 set here, but 1070 Ti are often just as much and perform a bit better. Furthermore you can wait a bit for the RTX 2070, but I doubt it will have very competitive prices.

You could also ditch the cooler, but it will just be a bit louder.

But if you want opinions from more members, be sure to start a thread in this sub forum: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/