Fan hubs, splitters, 3 pins and 4 pins??

Below27

Hey guys,

I am currently using a MOBO with two 4-pin fan slots. 

My case has four fans, two stock 3-pin fans and two 4-pin fans. I want to use pwm on all of the fans, what would be my best options? 

I understand that the 3-pin fans do not run on pwm but can be controlled via voltage regulation, and while I'm not sure if there are others on the market, i see that phanteks has one fan hub which has a 4-pin connector to the MOBO, then six 3-pin hubs, so i am pretty sure this fan hub will be able to effectively control and regulate the voltage (thus fan speeds) for my 3-pin fans. 

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-PWHUB.html

However in regards to the other two 4-pin fans, would I be able to use a y splitter and connect it to the remaining 4-pin slot? Would this allow the MOBO to control and regulate the fan speeds through pwm control? Or would I need to buy another pwm hub like the silverstone or deepcool? 

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=526&area=en

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml

I considered getting a 4-pin fan hub and connecting all four of my fans to it, but it seems that if that was the case the fan hub would only control the 4-pin fans and the 3-pin fans would run at full speed, or vice versa, depending on if it is controlling the speed using voltage control or pwm modulation signal? Please correct me if I am wrong? 

To summarise, I am looking for a way to control the speeds of all four of my fans. If there is something I am misunderstanding or something that will be able to do this please do let me know. The phanteks also seems a bit overkill to control two 3-pin fans so if there are any other suggestions for that it would be great. And lastly do you know if the y splitter for 4-pin to 4-pin will be able to control my two 4-pin fans via pwm modulation, or will a hub be required for this? 

Thanks for all your help, I do hope that there is some solution which can allow one product to control all four of my fans, otherwise hopefully one fan hub (4-pin to 3-pin) and one splitter (4-pin to 4-pin) will suffice. I really am hoping that I do not have to purchase two separate fan hubs. Thanks again! 

3 minutes ago, Below27 said:

-SNIP-

The Phanteks hub you have selected takes a PWM input and provide an equivalent 3 pin DC voltage control output to the fans. As for the two other options they are PWM hubs the silverstone one is externally power via the PSU allowing for a large number of fan connections as the motherboard only needs to provide the (4 pin) PWM signal for the control. 

3-pin fans can plug into 4 pin fan headers but you cannot enable PWM mode on 3 pin fans, they are DC regulated so you control them by voltage and not RPM. 4-pin fans are PWM and are controlled by RPM and because of this are traditionally quieter. 

If you buy a fan hub it means that all the fans connected to that hub will operate at the same RPM/voltage. For the ease of controlling your fans I would NOT plug in 4-pin and 3-pin fans into the same hub. If you do that and enable PWM mode all your 3-pin DC fans will spin at full speed. If you enable DC mode all your 4-pin fans will spin at full speed. So if you want to get fan hubs I would at least get a separate one for your 4-pin PWM fans and your 3-pin DC fans.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

24 minutes ago, JM21 said:

If you enable DC mode all your 4-pin fans will spin at full speed.

um...pwm fans can be controlled by voltage like any other fan, pwm is just better because it allows finer adjustment over a wider range

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Thanks for the replies,

I am sorry Cyracus, that was my mistake. But even so, since they are pwm fans, do you think there is any other solution that will allow me to still use their pwm functionality while at the same time controlling the fan speeds for the 3-pin fans?

JM21, yeah that was what I was thinking about, I was considering whether or not there are other options rather than purchasing two separate fan hubs, or if I do go ahead with two fan hubs, do you have a different one to recommend other than the phanteks one? That one seems a bit expensive, and it has 6 fan slots which I think are a bit overkill.

W-L, thank you for your reply, but yeah I kind of understand what the different fan hubs do, I am more interested in whether or not they, or any other fan hub will be able to control the speed through voltage regulation for the 3-pin fans, and still provide the PWM inputs for the 4-pin fans.

I have actually looked into the NZXT fan controllers, but it seems that it only works through voltage regulation so I think the pwm will not work? I am not too sure though

Just now, Below27 said:

-SNIP-

If you want a hub or controller to do both you will need a digital fan controller like the Corsair Commander, the only option I know of that have both DC voltage control and a pass through for PWM would be the fan controllers that come with the NZXT cases such as this one. As for the Grid controllers they run on DC voltage control, however any PWM fan is capable of DC voltage control, the RPM range will be more limited however in the lower limit. 

Image result for nzxt fan hub

8 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

um...pwm fans can be controlled by voltage like any other fan, pwm is just better because it allows finer adjustment over a wider range

I know you control a 4-Pin PWM fan by voltage, but I assumed you could not together in a fan hub with other 3-pin DC fans. I could be wrong.

But my other point is why would you do that if you have 4-pin fan headers already? it's far less efficient and you usually you can't get them to go at lower RPM than if you just used PWM mode to begin with.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

JM21, yeah thats what I meant, because I have only two 4-pin headers in the mobo, but 4 fans. With two of them PWM and two of them 3-pin, I was wondering what the best way to control them was. I was seeing if there is anything that I can just plug into one header to control all four fans, but if not, I was looking at the best solution for using one header to control two of the 3-pin fans, and the other header to control the other two 4-pin fans.

WL, yeah that is kind of exactly what I am looking for. It only comes with NZXT cases thoguh? As in I wont be able to purchase one from them?

2 minutes ago, Below27 said:

JM21, yeah thats what I meant, because I have only two 4-pin headers in the mobo, but 4 fans. With two of them PWM and two of them 3-pin, I was wondering what the best way to control them was. I was seeing if there is anything that I can just plug into one header to control all four fans, but if not, I was looking at the best solution for using one header to control two of the 3-pin fans, and the other header to control the other two 4-pin fans.

WL, yeah that is kind of exactly what I am looking for. It only comes with NZXT cases thoguh? As in I wont be able to purchase one from them?

No they do not sell it separately as a unit. If you only have 4 fans in your system you could easily configure your motherboard header itself to provide a PWM output for the 4 pin fans and DC voltage output for the 3 pin fans using regular fan splitters. 

17 minutes ago, Below27 said:

do you think there is any other solution that will allow me to still use their pwm functionality while at the same time controlling the fan speeds for the 3-pin fans?

several ways to go about it, either a splitter for the 3 pin fans or a hub https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=fan hub&bop=And&Order=BESTMATCH&PageSize=36   

13 minutes ago, JM21 said:

I know you control a 4-Pin PWM fan by voltage, but I assumed you could not together in a fan hub with other 3-pin DC fans. I could be wrong.

nah, you can do it no problem, and now you know 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Thanks Cyracus, I will look into doing it that way then, so the two 4-pin fans will be able to be controlled through pwm even if i use a y splitter? 

Thanks wl, that definitely sounds like something more cost efficient, but I have no idea how to configure the MOBO headers

1 minute ago, Below27 said:

Thanks Cyracus, I will look into doing it that way then, so the two 4-pin fans will be able to be controlled through pwm even if i use a y splitter? 

Thanks wl, that definitely sounds like something more cost efficient, but I have no idea how to configure the MOBO headers

What board do you have it should be all doable within the BIOS or using their own fan control software. 

I am currently using the Asus Z370i, I will look into whether or not I can do it, thanks man!

8 minutes ago, Below27 said:

I am currently using the Asus Z370i, I will look into whether or not I can do it, thanks man!

You can configure the control type within the BIOS and setup custom fan curves, Asus also has their AI suite software for control within the OS. 

Okay thanks! So I just use one 4-pin header with a y splitter (3-pins), and the other 4-pin header with another y splitter (4-pins). Attach two fans to each and then use the BIOS to set PWM for the 4-pins, and voltage regulation for the 3-pins?

17 minutes ago, Below27 said:

Okay thanks! So I just use one 4-pin header with a y splitter (3-pins), and the other 4-pin header with another y splitter (4-pins). Attach two fans to each and then use the BIOS to set PWM for the 4-pins, and voltage regulation for the 3-pins?

Yep that's correct. 

4 hours ago, Below27 said:

Asus has probably best fan control options there are. They allow you to select control method and do individual curves per header. So using splitter for 3pin and PWM fans as their own units from single header per bunch is best option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks WL and LogicalDrm, 

I have decided to go with a 3-pin y splitter to control the two stock fans via MOBO. 

Originally I had intended to go with a 4-pin y splitter to do the same for the two pwm fans, but have just realised that I will run into issues as I need an extra 4-pin slot for the pwm pump. I am looking into getting the Deepcool pwm hub, but am worried I might run into power issues. Would one 4-pin header from the motherboard be able to sufficiently power the two fans (and pump/hub, if these two. Components draw power) ? Will the pump draw power from the hub, or just take the pwm signal? 

I will be going with two120mm  high static pressure pwm fans from phanteks. 

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120MP.html

http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml

15 minutes ago, Below27 said:

Thanks WL and LogicalDrm, 

I have decided to go with a 3-pin y splitter to control the two stock fans via MOBO. 

Originally I had intended to go with a 4-pin y splitter to do the same for the two pwm fans, but have just realised that I will run into issues as I need an extra 4-pin slot for the pwm pump. I am looking into getting the Deepcool pwm hub, but am worried I might run into power issues. Would one 4-pin header from the motherboard be able to sufficiently power the two fans (and pump/hub, if these two. Components draw power) ? Will the pump draw power from the hub, or just take the pwm signal? 

I will be going with two120mm  high static pressure pwm fans from phanteks. 

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F120MP.html

I would check the power draw or current that the pump and fans all use, the header is only rated for 1amp so you want to keep it below that. 

A general rule of thumb is 3-4 fans per header but this ofcourse depends on the fan.