Gtx 970 or 1050ti ? Compatible ?

Twink

Hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I post out of place or in some way wrong. But besides that, I'm in the market for a new GPU since I'm using a complete huck of junk atm and cant run H1z1 at all or any Games besides Minecraft Win 10 and have narrowed it down to either the Gtx 970 G1 or the MSI 1050ti since both are within my $160 budget, though I'm leaning more towards the Gtx 970 based on a ton of Benchmarks I've seen. Now here's the thing, my setup is really old & I'm unsure if these cards would even be compatible with my specs, so I would appreciate some help.

Setup (All Stock)

Dell Studio Xps 435t/9000

Mobo - X501H 0X501H

Cpu - i7 920 @2.67GHz 

Gpu - AMD Radeon HD 5450 (i know right!)

Ram - 8gb DDR3, 1066MHz 

Win - Windows 10

I have tried to overclock my Cpu since it is Overclockable but apparently, I cant with this Motherboard

As of now, she fits my needs since I only really use it for music production and web browsing but I'm slowly trying to lure my way into to PC Gaming. I will be upgrading Cpu to an "i5 6600k" within the next month or sooner so I don't have to worry about a Bottleneck, I hope I don't and also I have an "Asus Maximus Viii Hero Alpha" that I got as a gift a while back from a close friend, though I haven't used it all since DDr4 is pretty Expensive. 

I'm just trying to squeeze the most I can out of my current setup before spending a crazy amount of money on a new setup.

Thanks in advance. 

I think the GTX 970 is better than the GTX 1050 TI.

The GTX 1050 TI is like a 4gb version of the GTX 960 I think. (In performance. The architecture is DIFFERENT.)

970 is slightly better than the 1050ti

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

970 is slightly better than the 1050ti

The 1050ti is better simply because it has a full 4gb of vram

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Capture.PNG.28ae6426585313f73f7fe3a7a3c513d4.PNG

Image result for REALIZATION DRINKING MEME

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Lol, I appreciate the quick feedback, I am aware if the Gtx 970 "3.5gb" mishap but that's something I'm really not too concerned with. 

Would the Gtx 970 G1 be compatible with my system? 

According to synthetic benchmarks, the 970 is significantly better.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2577vs3649

Real benchmarks, it's still better. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

1 minute ago, Twink said:

Would the GTX 970 G1 be compatible with my specs/motherboard? 

Unless you're running an ancient motherboard, yes it should.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

970 is more powerful, but it's older and needs more juice.

1050 Ti isn't as powerful (somewhere equivalent to or slightly above a 960), but it takes less power and is newer architecture.

I'd personally go 970.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

970 is more powerful, but it's older and needs more juice.

1050 Ti isn't as powerful (somewhere equivalent to or slightly above a 960), but it takes less power and is newer architecture.

I'd personally go 970.

Thanks, i have decided to go with the "Gigabyte Gtx 970" as its got some crazy overclocking in its belt, nut now my only issue is if it would be compatible with my Motherboard/ Specs? Heres my Setup

Setup (All Stock)

Mobo - X501H 0X501H

Cpu - i7 920 @2.67GHz 

Ram - 8gb DDR3, 1066MHz 

Win - Windows 10

19 minutes ago, Twink said:

Thanks, i have decided to go with the "Gigabyte Gtx 970" as its got some crazy overclocking in its belt, nut now my only issue is if it would be compatible with my Motherboard/ Specs? Heres my Setup

Setup (All Stock)

Mobo - X501H 0X501H

Cpu - i7 920 @2.67GHz 

Ram - 8gb DDR3, 1066MHz 

Win - Windows 10

I'm more concerned about the stock power supply than anything else. Do you know what the wattage is, and does it have the PCIe connectors needed for the 970?

Just now, aisle9 said:

I'm more concerned about the stock power supply than anything else. Do you know what the wattage is, and does it have the PCIe connectors needed for the 970?

I will be ordering a "Corsair CS750M 750W" PSU once i purchase the Gtx 970

3 minutes ago, Twink said:

I will be ordering a "Corsair CS750M 750W" PSU once i purchase the Gtx 970

You're good.

Just now, aisle9 said:

You're good.

Wait, So it'll work with my current Motherboard and current components, aside from PSU that I'll be ordering with it? 

Just now, Twink said:

Wait, So it'll work with my current Motherboard and current components, aside from PSU that I'll be ordering with it? 

Any motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot can work with any graphics card with a PCIe interface. Everything else looks good. The only worry I had was trying to slap a 970 onto a power supply that was included with an HD 5450, but if the power supply is being replaced, you've got nothing else to worry about.

19 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Any motherboard with a PCIe x16 slot can work with any graphics card with a PCIe interface. Everything else looks good. The only worry I had was trying to slap a 970 onto a power supply that was included with an HD 5450, but if the power supply is being replaced, you've got nothing else to worry about.

Awesome, I appreciate your help and quick feedback, I'm a noob to this PC Building World but we all gotta start somewhere & better late than never. I just placed my order for my Gtx 970 G1 and 750W PSU  and will be here in a week or so, I can't wait.

Thanks, again bud really do appreciate it, Cheers

Caution aubout one thing...

If i recall , the GTX970 G1 is a triple fan card.

Not sure it's gonna fit in a standard dell case.

About the cpu / mb , it's fully compatible i still have an old pc with a  I7 920 @4Ghz in it, and it's doing pretty good. 

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

11 hours ago, Twink said:

Setup (All Stock)

Mobo - X501H 0X501H

15 minutes ago, Atsura said:

Caution aubout one thing...

If i recall , the GTX970 G1 is a triple fan card.

I second this. If I recall, my friend has an identical Dell system and he upgraded to Palit GTX 970 which barely fits. G1 is definitely longer so you might want to check the specs before jumping on your purchase.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

10 hours ago, davyre89 said:

I second this. If I recall, my friend has an identical Dell system and he upgraded to Palit GTX 970 which barely fits. G1 is definitely longer so you might want to check the specs before jumping on your purchase.

yes, I was aware of this before placing my order, the only thing that was in the way was 1 of the fans so I went ahead and cut the housing where the extra HDD's would go so that's where I will be placing the fan, and moved my HDD to where my CD Drive was placed since I don't use it for anything, it should fit perfectly now

11 hours ago, rhysj6 said:

Dont get a 6600k get a 8600k it has 2 more cores

Then he would have to go get a brand new motherboard. He already has one that will take the 6600k, and it was a gift.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:
11 hours ago, rhysj6 said:

Dont get a 6600k get a 8600k it has 2 more cores

Then he would have to go get a brand new motherboard. He already has one that will take the 6600k, and it was a gift.

Oh i didnt know that that now makes sense

On 25.10.2017 at 10:47 PM, Himommies said:

How is it better, if the fps are far below?

It does have 0.5gb more Vram, however, a GTX 970 beats a 1050 ti's ass, by a BIG margin. ARound +50% performance.

So.. GTX 970 > GTX 1050 ti.

GTX 970 is more or less compareable to a GTX 1060 3gb, +- few % fps.

GTX 1060 6gb (more Vram, AND more Shader Cores) is pretty much at GTX 980 level.

GTX 1050 ti = GTX 960 4gb, in terms of pure performance / fps.