Ultra slim monitors??

Legolessed

I’m building my own laptop and right now I’m working on the screen part. So far I’ve found a dell 15.4” screen for $14.99 off dells website. I don’t know whether it’s proprietary or not. My original plan was to find a 15” monitor or tv and see how much I could slim it down or just use it stock but I want to see if there something better first for a very cheap price point. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I’m building my own laptop and right now

from like scratch? like not even starting with a pre existing laptop?

maybe a tablet?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

33 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I’m building my own laptop and right now I’m working on the screen part. So far I’ve found a dell 15.4” screen for $14.99 off dells website. I don’t know whether it’s proprietary or not. My original plan was to find a 15” monitor or tv and see how much I could slim it down or just use it stock but I want to see if there something better first for a very cheap price point. Thanks!

What kind of component solution are you using for the motherboard? Your options will be dictated by space constraints, your mounting solution, and the video input solution you have in mind. Most current laptops have a slim, often proprietary connector that joins the display to the motherboard. Will you be using a laptop-specific motherboard or are you trying to fit a desktop inside a laptop?

3 hours ago, emosun said:

from like scratch? like not even starting with a pre existing laptop?

Ye

2 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

What kind of component solution are you using for the motherboard? Your options will be dictated by space constraints, your mounting solution, and the video input solution you have in mind. Most current laptops have a slim, often proprietary connector that joins the display to the motherboard. Will you be using a laptop-specific motherboard or are you trying to fit a desktop inside a laptop?

I’m using desktop components. So get like a thin 15” monitor and just mod that?

1 hour ago, emosun said:

is this a highschool project or?

Yes and it’s for fun. No it’s not practical I know

if you use desktop components get an old used monitor and go from there, you will not be able to find the components you need to run a laptop display without the correct laptop mainboard.

that thin is gonna be one thick bitch

in assuming itx board and then what about power supply  you going pico? thats one route but then you have no dedicated gpu also what about keyboard and trackpad i mean you can find controller boards for displays but keyboard and trackpad are propriotary as fuck also what about battery i dont even know how you make your os recognize its on battery now  and you cant just exactly put a power bank in there and be done with it...

either way if you actually do pull this off im quit interested in what you came up with

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

36 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

that thin is gonna be one thick bitch

in assuming itx board and then what about power supply  you going pico? thats one route but then you have no dedicated gpu also what about keyboard and trackpad i mean you can find controller boards for displays but keyboard and trackpad are propriotary as fuck also what about battery i dont even know how you make your os recognize its on battery now  and you cant just exactly put a power bank in there and be done with it...

either way if you actually do pull this off im quit interested in what you came up with

I’m taking it slowly. My first prototype is going to be thick and have no battery. And I’ll thin it down as I go on.  I have a dedicated gpu. I’m going to be using a keyboard trackpad combo. They are pretty cheap. From there we shall see.