Looking to upgrade my Pentium

Sooo long story short, I sold my i5 rig as I just didn't use it enough anymore, but now I'm stuck editing and gaming on a Pentium and I'm looking for an upgrade path. 

Current specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Pentium g4400

RAM: 8 gbs DDR4

Storage: 3 240 gb Samsung evo 850 pro's in raid (This is always a controversy, simply put I get them for basically free, so stop XD)

GPU: GTX 960 4gb

PSU: Corsair 500w(I think, I'd have to check and I'm currently at work.) 

My first thought is to upgrade to Ryzen 5/7[edited], get a Ryzen motherboard, a ryzen CPU and MAYBE 8 gbs more ram, not sure. 

I do light 1080p video editing(mostly just teaching myself as a hobby for youtube)

I'd like to do some light streaming, nothing crazy.

Games I play;

Pretty much just Rust.

I'd like to keep the upgrade cost to 200-300 Dollars USD. But it's flexible. 

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Get a 7700k and call it a day

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Just now, Jrock said:

Should have mentioned it's on a non overclockable board, but still a good recommendation, thank you. 

Do you think the 7700 would be a better option cost wise than a Ryzen 5/7 with more upgrade-ability and on the i7 being on a dead socket? For multitasking/editing/streaming, I don't really care for the gaming performance as almost anything I get is overkill for rust.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

What you said seems like the best path, unless you want to go for Coffeelake.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz, MSI Gaming X GTX 1080, MSI B350 Tomahawk, Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 SSD

the 7700 will be fine.

I wouldn't invest in a completely new platform.

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

Just now, ElliottBWeaver said:

What you said seems like the best path, unless you want to go for Coffeelake.

I've thought about it, however I don't think it's a feasible option for me as I'd have to jump for a new motherboard as well as the CPU. Ryzen 5 cpu's generally seem cheaper on the motherboard side. And I don't see Intel getting much cheaper at this point

Don't get me wrong, I love Intel, but I don't buy for the brand. I want to the best for what I am going to do, so idk lol.

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

I wouldn't invest in a completely new platform.

Why not? I don't mean to sound stand off-ish, it just seems like a better option to get into the platform that will be around for a few more years instead of again locking myself into the 1151 socket. 

Just now, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I've thought about it, however I don't think it's a feasible option for me as I'd have to jump for a new motherboard as well as the CPU. Ryzen 5 cpu's generally seem cheaper on the motherboard side. And I don't see Intel getting much cheaper at this point

Don't get me wrong, I love Intel, but I don't buy for the brand. I want to the best for what I am going to do, so idk lol.

Why not? I don't mean to sound stand off-ish, it just seems like a better option to get into the platform that will be around for a few more years instead of again locking myself into the 1151 socket. 

If you have the money, go to a r5 1600.

All im saying is its cheaper to go with the 7700/k

Ryzen 5 1600 is around $200. You can get a cheap but still decent B350 board for about $70. Lastly, an 8 GB module of DDR4 RAM is around $60-70. You have a few options here given your budget:

• Buy Ryzen 5 and the B350 board (~$270)
  • Buy Intel Core i7-7700 (~$288)
  • Buy Intel Core i5-7600 + 8 GB of RAM (~$275)
10 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Unfortunately, it won't fit the OP's budget, as you'd need to spend $330 on the CPU plus at least $25 on a cooler, unless you want to reuse the Pentium's heatsink (you don't).

2 minutes ago, Kavawuvi said:

Ryzen 5 1600 is around $200. You can get a cheap but still decent B350 board for about $70. Lastly, an 8 GB module of DDR4 RAM is around $60-70. You have a few options here given your budget:

• Buy Ryzen 5 and the B350 board (~$270)
  • Buy Intel Core i7-7700 (~$288)
  • Buy Intel Core i5-7600 + 8 GB of RAM (~$275)

Unfortunately, it won't fit the OP's budget, as you'd need to spend $330 on the CPU plus at least $25 on a cooler.

Thanks for the recommendations! For some reason it honestly hadn't even crossed my mind to stick with the 1151 socket and go for a 7700, not I'm stuck xD 

For editing and general multi-tasking, would you guys go for the 7700 or the r5-1600+board? 

16 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Thanks for the recommendations! For some reason it honestly hadn't even crossed my mind to stick with the 1151 socket and go for a 7700, not I'm stuck xD 

For editing and general multi-tasking, would you guys go for the 7700 or the r5-1600+board? 

I would recommend to go for Ryzen. Because, they will release later the new Processors with iGPU and better performance. Just sayin. Since the i7-7700 is a few dollars more I would go for the r5+MB.

Wait for black friday and get a great deal on the outgoing 7700K or 6700K and get a cheap cooler like the 212 Evo if you need one. I know you said you have a non overclocking motherboard, but these cpus tend to go on sale more often, that being said, if you see a great deal on a 7700 I think it would work well too.

Right now a 7700 which comes with a cooler goes for $279 at microcenter or $315 at bestbuy so with some sale pricing as the holidays approach it should fit into your budget.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

2 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

Wait for black friday and get a great deal on the outgoing 7700K or 6700K and get a cheap cooler like the 212 Evo if you need one. I know you said you have a non overclocking motherboard, but these cpus tend to go on sale more often, that being said, if you see a great deal on a 7700 I think it would work well too.

Right now a 7700 which comes with a cooler goes for $279 at microcenter or $315 at bestbuy so with some sale pricing as the holidays approach it should fit into your budget.

Thanks for the advise, I am in no rush so waiting for sales like black Friday is probably best. 

Have you ever thought of getting used 6700/K or 7700/K? It might be cheaper than the options above.

CPU/ CPU Cooler: i7-6700K - 4.5GHz with Noctua DH-15S | Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 | HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Amp! Edition | Case: Corsair 400C | PSU: FSP Aurum S 650W | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitor: BenQ GL2460HM FHD | Speakers: JBL Pebbles | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

I'd suggest a used i7-6700.  There is barely any difference between it and a 7700, but it's a lot cheaper. You could keep your board that way. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440