AMD GPUs are getting crushed will they ever make a comeback ?

whitedragon101

I use a MacBook Pro for my app development and unfortunately Apple have had a deal with AMD for several years to use AMD GPUs.  Year on year nVidia have been moving ahead, from being a bit faster, to a lot faster, to the 1060 vs the AMD 560 which is just comical.  The new Microsoft surface book uses an nVidia 1060 and the current MacBook Pro uses an AMD 560 which are in the same TDP envelope yet the 560 isn't even in the same class.

My question is, can AMD ever come back to parity with nVidia for GPU performance like back in the old days where they traded blows for the top spot.   

maybe

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

With Navi they may catch up but it will have huge power draw

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Apple uses AMD because they do business for cheap. 

Nvidia is not a very casual company when it comes to their IP and I think their business practices keep Apple from making new agreements with them. 

If Nvidia wants their name associated with the Mac then they need to make themselves desirable for Apple.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Only if they can ever make a card that is on par or better than the Nvidia flagship cards. Even then, with all the other external factors like power draw, mining, and stupid business practices, It could still be a hard sell. I liked my Asus RX480 it was a really good card, and I even managed to buy it for $198.99 new at Frys right before the mining stuff came about. Ended up selling it for nearly 400 and bought a MSI 1080 for $470. 

Maybe if they manage to beat Nvidia to the 7nm node they can pull even until Nvidia releases their 7nm parts, sort of like how they got the 7970 out before Nvidia's 680, so they were competing against the older 580 and winning

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

20 minutes ago, whitedragon101 said:

My question is, can AMD ever come back to parity with nVidia for GPU performance like back in the old days where they traded blows for the top spot.   

Look at Tahiti vs. GK104.

That should answer your question!

Tahiti wasn't bad and lasted way longer than GK104, but everyone bought GK104 because nVida. And before this generation, the power consumption wasn't important at all...

As long as that's the case, no. It's impossible...

People just need the pain like not be able to overclock and other bullshit nVidia does to sell more GPUs, before they wake up and stop buying every generation from them and just wait for "something good".

Even if AMD had a decent GPU that is on par with nVidia, nobody would buy it.

Only Miner buy AMD en masse right now because they don't care about ideological bullshit like the normal customers...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I don't know what some of you people are smoking

Amd fan boys are everywhere

Performance is fine for the price

They were selling before this 2nd mining wave too

For what they have for r and d they are doing great

If they can make a good flagship product, like they did with the Fury X, they would be instantly competitive. They should overhaul their entire lineup, no rebrand nonsense once, on 7nm, and then they can start rebranding again, with less power draw. JUST DO IT AMD.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.