HELP!!!!!!!!NEED TO PACK MY PC FOR A TRIP

OneKickMan98

How big is it, where are you going and why don’t you just bring a laptop or go to a library that has PCs and use them on the road

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

first, you don't have to shout that. posts with normal titles will also be read by some people.

if you still have the box of the case, put the whole build in there

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

why do you need to bring your entire PC on a "trip"?

as for actual advice, depending on the components, take them out or find a way to brace and heavy, non secure items, ie GPU and CPU cooler (if its an air cooled tower)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

take out the GPU and stuff a pillow in there and you should be good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

What I'd do is I'd take out the GPU, or any other device plugged in your PCI ports, from the build and wrap it up tightly with bubble wrap and tape it tight so it won't unravel and put it somewhere safe where it won't move as much on the trip. Also taking out the CPU and doing the same thing just in case would be my next suggestion including the cooler you have. As for everything else, it should just be your motherboard, RAM sticks, Storage, and PSU. These all should be screwed and locked in tight and shouldn't move dangerously. Just leave your case side panel on during the trip.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Take out the GPU and the CPU cooler if it's a big air cooled heatsink. Watercoolers are find as long as it's an AIO loop or you're very confident in your custom loop abilities. 

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

tenor.gif

Seriously though, why bring the whole PC? If you're going to, the safest way to do it is to remove the graphics card and mechanical hard drives and pack them separately. If you have a large heatsink or an AIO, remove it and pack it separately as well. If you have a custom loop, don't even think about bringing your PC. If you have the original box, repack your PC into there. If you don't, wrap it in bubble wrap several times until you think it's secure, then wrap it again. Lie it flat on its back if possible, motherboard side down. If not, make sure the motherboard side is the side "on its back" so you don't introduce unnecessary stress by way of gravity.

Trust me, I evacuated six computers for a hurricane a little over a month ago. That's the safe way to do it (and why I keep case boxes).

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

If it's going to be subjected to lots of vibrations and shocks and shaking, it would be best to pull out the graphics card and the cpu cooler ... if it's heavy and/or if it uses some basic tie down mechanism - i mean, if the cooler came with a backplate and you screw the cooler to the backplate it would probably be fine since those 4 screws should hold it fine. However, if it's just a cooler that clips to existing plastic frame and clips put pressure or it's those clips Intel uses on their coolers ... it would be better to remove the cooler. 

I usually remove the mechanical drive and put it in a plastic bag and then wrap a towel (or a tshirt or something soft, whatever i also have to move with the computer, no point weighing myself with extra packaging material) around the hard drive bag, or some pants or shove it inside a couple of thicker socks.

If you're going to move the pc with your car or you know the pc is not going to be subjected to big shocks, usually it would be enough to lay it horizontally on some soft blanket in the trunk or on the back seat (though in this case use tie it with seatbelt or something, don't want to break suddenly and have it fly in your seat). The blanket with cancel out vibrations and small shocks and the pc being layed down horizontally won't cause graphics card or cpu cooler to bend up and down putting pressure on the circuit boad or the slots.