PSU test

Go to solution Solved by wONKEyeYEs,

How to Jump Start your power supply (Paper clip test)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

So, my PSU has arrived. I do not have any other component as I am waiting for Intel coffee lake CPUs to be available. Can I plug in and power on to check if my PSU is working, is there any other way to check if its not DOA and working? 

Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

So, my PSU has arrived. I do not have any other component as I am waiting for Intel coffee lake CPUs to be available. Can I plug in and power on to check if my PSU is working, is there any other way to check if its not DOA and working? 

Thanks! 

The PSU has a self-tester if it's a decent modern unit and you can use that.

Pp0M8mN.jpg?1

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

How to Jump Start your power supply (Paper clip test)

http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/QA/PSU/PSU-Paper Clip-EN.pdf

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Pp0M8mN.jpg?1

No mine does not have one. 

On 10/13/2017 at 11:23 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Pp0M8mN.jpg?1

I have the Corsair tx750m n I do not have the tester. :(

28 minutes ago, Chennaiyen said:

I have to try this method as I don’t have the tester. I hope I don’t fry the psu. 

You wont. The paper clip test has been done successfully many times (including myself when I thought my CX600m was dead) Just double check the pins before you switch it on and youre good

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

34 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You wont. The paper clip test has been done successfully many times (including myself when I thought my CX600m was dead) Just double check the pins before you switch it on and youre good

Thanks Buddy! Will try it. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:23 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

LOL!  Bullshit.

Only EVGA came with those.  Seasonic only recently started including them with the "Ultra" versions of their Prime PSUs.

Use the paper clip suggestion made above.

And don't worry about "frying the PSU".  The only lead that's live when the PSU isn't powered on is the +5VSB and if you were accidently short that pin instead of the power on lead, the PSU's safety would just latch the PSU off.

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOL!  Bullshit.

Only EVGA came with those.  Seasonic only recently started including them with the "Ultra" versions of their Prime PSUs.

And don't worry about "frying the PSU".  The only lead that's live when the PSU isn't powered on is the +5VSB and if you were accidently short that pin instead of the power on lead, the PSU's safety would just latch the PSU off.

Awesome, thanks! 

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

LOL!  Bullshit.

I haven't bought a non-Seasonic or EVGA PSU in awhile, thought that would be standard by now to include. Is there any reason other than cost that they wouldn't be included?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Cost.

14 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Cost.

I woulda thought the cost to benefit for a PSU jumper would pay off, or at least pay off more than the 100 page, 10 language, glossy-paged manual that came with my SF. You cannot even use that as dunny wrap, too glossy. :P

Being serious about it;

Yes it looks and feels nice, but it isn't something that adds anything to the product, and I'm not going to read it anyway (and I don't think a typical consumer would either). That information mostly already on the box, apart from the quickstart.

Which if I needed, I'd probably want it on a sheet of A4 folded in half, and is the 1st thing I see after I open the inner carton.

Your manual is not glossy.  None of the Corsair PSU manuals are glossy.

And the manual itself not only prevents a "ding" from reviewers (and since most people don't READ reviews and only the summary page so they may not know that the score is not a perfect 10 because of something stupid like lack of manual), but keeps Amazon at bay.  When  someone RMA's a product, they tend to turn off your SKU, typically because of lack of documentation.  Not that it actually matters to the functionality of the product, but in Amazon's eyes, lack of documentation is the #1 reason people return their product.

The multiple languages are required in many cases in that if you put a manual in English, you have to do certain other languages in certain regions.  Typically not by law, but by the retailer.  In many regions, we even find that if we put something in English on the box and not in another language, the distributor will put a big sticker in their native language on the box.

But yeah... That manual is cheap.  About 30 cents.  The 24-pin connector alone costs that much, never mind one with a jumper wire installed.

11 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Your manual is not glossy.  None of the Corsair PSU manuals are glossy.

Okay, glossy is probably not the right adjective. Magazine finish? Doesn't matter anyway, just seems like a premium expense that is unneeded, however, brand image is key, isn't it?

but keeps Amazon at bay.  When  someone RMA's a product, they tend to turn off your SKU, typically because of lack of documentation.  Not that it actually matters to the functionality of the product, but in Amazon's eyes, lack of documentation is the #1 reason people return their product.

You can RMA because you don't like that the product doesn't include a manual?

That's quite backwards, I wouldn't deem that as "Unacceptable quality", or anything else the Australian Consumer Law (Or any consumer law) would deem as reason to allow a return.

However, I guess Amazon doesn't want to damage their brand, and they have the power to force returns to the manufacturer to accept a return.

The multiple languages are required in many cases in that if you put a manual in English, you have to do certain other languages in certain regions.  Typically not by law, but by the retailer.  In many regions, we even find that if we put something in English on the box and not in another language, the distributor will put a big sticker in their native language on the box.

I shouldn't have included language as an example, so I already knew that, and understood that.

But yeah... That manual is cheap.  About 30 cents.  The 24-pin connector alone costs that much, never mind one with a jumper wire installed.

Ah, I didn't realise the booklet was soo cheap (compared with how much I thought it would cost). 

I'm sorry that I was a bit of a dick with that comment I made last night, it wasn't called for, or needed, or even related to the topic.

39 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You can RMA because you don't like that the product doesn't include a manual?

That's quite backwards, I wouldn't deem that as "Unacceptable quality", or anything else the Australian Consumer Law (Or any consumer law) would deem as reason to allow a return.

No. That's not what I said.

You can return a product for ANY reason and Amazon won't ask why.  When THEY (Amazon) sees the return, the first thing they assume is that it was returned because the customer did not know how to use the product due to lack of documentation.  Then they will put the product on hold until you can provide documentation.  

That's why I get so pissed off when someone says, "could be the motherboard, could be the PSU.  Don't have time to troubleshoot so I'll return the PSU because Amazon will take it back with no questions asked" because the next thing that's going to hit MY inbox at Corsair is "Amazon Andon Cord Action Required / Item is Unsellable:  Kindly provide us with User Manual/Troubleshooting Guide/Instruction Manual (if available) which can be updated on the detail page for better customer understanding."