Lets talk about the Nintendo Switch build quality and issues.

Renton577

So I recently made a separate thread trying to figure out a way to stop the back of my console from getting scuffed and scratched and that got me thinking, why not make a thread where we talk about things that Nintendo should have gotten right from the get go, what they need to change, ideas we have for improving upon what they lacked in engineering smarts and just all around the flaws and things that make this otherwise cool console shine less than bright at times

I for one wish they would have used harder plastic and made the air intakes on the back metal not a fragile feeling material, and that's just my two main issues.

PS this includes software too, *cough* save files *cough*

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

6 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

The switch is a piece of expensive plastic imop

Yeah, I really love the concept but the execution could use some *ahem* 'minor fixes and changes'

aka metal unibody ples or at least good quality solid plastic like an Xbox controller

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

9 minutes ago, Renton577 said:

why not make a thread where we talk about things that Nintendo should have gotten right from the get go, what they need to change, ideas we have for improving upon what they lacked in engineering smarts and just all around the flaws and things that make this otherwise cool console shine less than bright at times

No, because you could apply that for everything

Honestly I don't have much issue with the console it self more so I'm just not thrilled with the games thus far, breath of the wild held my interest for a while but then it wore off which was odd to me as zelda games normally get more love from me.

I concluded that the lack of large scale dungeons combined with the stupid weapon breaking mechanic made the game seem less special in a way.

But to be fair it is still the best game to come out this year, which tells you a lot about the games industry.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Honestly I don't have much issue with the console it self more so I'm just not thrilled with the games thus far, breath of the wild held my interest for a while but then it wore off which was odd to me as zelda games normally get more love from me.

I concluded that the lack of large scale dungeons combined with the stupid weapon breaking mechanic made the game seem less special in a way.

I have to agree with that but there is also Sonic Mania which has been fun Splatoon 2 is a blast and I'm sure excited to bring Doom on the go and the new Wolfenstien. But I do hope 3rd party support goes well, I think its to early to tell but I'm hopeful. Then again they could totally drop the ball too. 

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

I bought a switch and within 2 weeks I sold it on craigslist. Screen got scratched easy, as I was very uneasy with the docking system scratching the screen. I do miss my Nintendo switch a little, but I don't game very much + I already have an PS4, Xbox One S, PC, and a laptop. ( I need help with spending habits)

Edit: I also felt guilty spending the $420 as I have more important things to save for (A vehicle)

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

9 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

$420

9_9

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

24 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

9_9

B|

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Have yet to get a switch myself, though plan soon to get one for Xenoblade.  By my understanding, it not overly hard to stop the screen scratching part.  Still, Nintendo should held off a bit and fixed those issues.

15 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

9_9

$420 is a good chunk.  That like two of my truck payments.  Or, 195 gallons of gas.  :P (gas cheap back in my home State)

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I was unemployed when the Switch launched and I still bought it anyway. It helped that I was in Vegas a month prior and stopped gambling once I had enough to buy a Switch :)

The hardware faults I feel have already been covered, though I haven't personally experienced it since I mostly play it docked. I can only really think of two time I played it undocked. BotW in between job interviews. And M+R during a BBQ.  I prefer the kickstand and detached controller mode of play when undocked. Easier on my CTS.

The biggest mess looks to be the online situation of having to use a phone, especially if you want a headset with all audio. Might be fixable with a patch and allow bluetooth headsets.

Not having VC at launch is still a bummer but the first year line-up of games looks really good to me: BotW, M+R, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 for solo. MK8, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Bomberman for local multiplayer are awesome. Solid year one.

I finally turned my switch in last week at the store for repair, because since launch I experienced the left joycon disconnect like so many other people, when in TV mode. Returns just in time for Just Dance 2018 hopefully :P 

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

My only real issue is a lack of gorilla glass on the display, but I understand that could cause other problems if I were to say... drop it.

I can't complain too much on the actual build quality of this console... like previous handhelds it feels pretty sturdy and decent quality imo.  Otherwise I could complain about the price of the controllers, but they aren't notably more expensive than a Xbox One controller... 

Hardware wise I've had little to no issues the stupid voice chat approach not withstanding.  I did get some cheap screen protectors for mine on Amazon though and they work like a charm and I never notice it being there.  The system itself (being the tablet part) does have a sleek premium feel to it and the joy cons themselves feel sturdy enough.  Dock is pretty cheap but it is a dock maybe at most what they could have done was maybe instead of plastic have a mesh or soft rubber back for the Switch console to rub against to prevent scratching.

12 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

but they aren't notably more expensive than a Xbox One controller...

But they ARE noticeably less versatile and less high-quality.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

8 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

But they ARE noticeably less versatile and less high-quality.

Gonna disagree with you on the quality bit.  To date I feel the Switch joycons are by far the best feeling controller Nintendo has produced since the SNES.  Personally I'd put the joycons between the Xbox One and PS4 controllers in terms of feel and quality.  Less versatile, sure... I might try arguing that after a few beers too many, but not in a sober state of mind.  

I don't think there's much to complain about in terms of quality. Personally my only issue is that the matte finish on the JoyCon tends to wear around the buttons a bit. Though even then I'd take a matte finish that does that over a glossy finish on a controller any day. In any case there's a video of someone literally attaching the Switch to a drone and dropping it from two stories up and the only damage to it was with one joycon

In terms of the system software? Well even there it's the same as every other new piece of hardware. The software improves over time. I find it amusing that the OP singled out save files given that in just the last week or so they have added:

1. Transfer of Save files between systems

2. USB Audio support

3. A "current offers" section in the digital store

4. Pre-purchasing on the eShop

5. And the major new feature

I've said it on this forum before, I'm obviously biased when it comes to Nintendo stuff. I have to have been to have brought and liked the Wii U. But the Switch? It's a fairly unique product on the market. I get excited when even games like Super Meat Boy are announced on the thing. The Switch is a platform where I'll buy games I've owned for ages again just because there's so much more value having it on a system that's portable like the Switch. There's nothing else on the market like it with the same level of quality and support.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

11 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

Less versatile, sure... I might try arguing that after a few beers too many, but not in a sober state of mind.  

Xbox One controllers can be used with a PC (wired, wireless adapter, or the new ones with BT), the console itself (wired, wireless), or a phone (BT).

What do Switch controllers do besides control a Switch?

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

1 hour ago, Shiv78 said:

Xbox One controllers can be used with a PC (wired, wireless adapter, or the new ones with BT), the console itself (wired, wireless), or a phone (BT).

What do Switch controllers do besides control a Switch?

Pretty much exactly what you described. Though with the JoyCons it's not going to be that great unless you get them to work as a single controller. AFAIK the Pro Controller works pretty decently. In any case, this isn't something Microsoft has a monopoly on. I've probably put more hours into using the Wii U Pro controller on PC either directly or via the Steam Link than I ever did on the Wii U itself. 

While the plastic build quality of the Switch might be dissapointing next to an iPad, we can't really complain. It's only $300 and they spent it where it counts. People say Switch is underpowered (it is) but it's a small tablet.

The fact BotW, Mario Oddessy, and Doom are going to be on this portable thing is worth it. They spent the money where it counts. I'd rather have a more power plastic console, than a glass screen with metal body. 

That being said I would have opted for $500 Switch with a glass screen and more storage or something. 

The Switch might not be the best console ever, but I believe it should be the future of consoles. Something that you can take with you, a tablet, but also your netflix machine for the TV. 

One thing I seem to be in the minority on is the Joy Cons . I hate them. 

They're okay for Zelda, I used them 100% to play Zelda in handheld mode. But when I started playing Might Gunvolt Burst, I realized that I could never do any serious 2D gaming with these things. In handheld mode it's AWFUL. Try shooting fast in Megaman or Metroid with a joycon on the switch. My right joycon is loose on my console, but I blame myself for being a toughie boi. The grip doesn't make it much better. Although I find myself able to shoot extremely fast if I use the joycon loose, one in each hand. I've only done this a few times and honestly I can't speak to how I feel about it.

But I've had the pro controller since launch and I gotta say, I LOVE this controller. It's seriously the best feeling controller out there. That D-Pad it's -insert dunkey mastapiece- . The feel and quality of the controller, the large, flat face buttons, the triggs boi!! My only complaint is that it's hard to tell + - from capture and home just by feel, so you end up with accidental screen shots. I am fully confident I can play any game with the pro controller. 

I didn't really read too many comments but have heard of Switch's being fragile (or better put, not built with durability at the forefront of a 'quasi-handheld'). I do own a Switch but personally I have had no issues with any hardware. Obviously I don't want damage to come to mine, however I tend not to play handhelds, so it's hard for me to sit in "tablet mode" so it tends to be sitting in the dock which I replaced with a 3rd party one that doest have a front, I can't believe people would buy another Nintendo dock for a whopping 90 bucks for basically what amounts to a cell phone MHL Adapter with a USB Hub and LAN port.

I am just getting annoyed with it sitting in my living room. Going into buying the Switch I knew I wasn't going to have a ton of software for it, and today, about 9 mo. later, I have Zelda, MK8D, and Splatoon 2, the latter two I played just barely, and Splatoon mainly because of Nintendo's horrible online service and even worse their voice chat, or lack thereof. After beating Zelda, I feel like just getting rid of mine until it's dropped back down a bit and sell it while I can still get most of my original money back.  The thing is, as a teen I'd buy each console and get the games I wanted for each, and I most likely was on one console (or PC, just didn't really game on my PC til the past few years). So for online games, I just tend to use XBL/PSN, while I know it's probably not too difficult to get a discord voice chat server up and find ppl, I've found that XBL and now PSN to just be easier alternatives. Now I'm just too busy to keep up with all games that I want to or even REALLY want to play sometimes.

10 hours ago, likwidsolutions said:

I am just getting annoyed with it sitting in my living room. Going into buying the Switch I knew I wasn't going to have a ton of software for it, and today, about 9 mo. later, I have Zelda, MK8D, and Splatoon 2, the latter two I played just barely [...]  The thing is, as a teen I'd buy each console and get the games I wanted for each, and I most likely was on one console. [...] Now I'm just too busy to keep up with all games that I want to or even REALLY want to play sometimes.

Personally I feel that the Switch is a decent console precisely because I don't have as much time as I used to. Because it's portable it's much easier for me to find time to play it because I can play it whenever I want. I don't have to physically sit down infront of the TV/Computer and for the TV in particular I can play it while watching Sport or while someone else is watching the Bachelor or whatever. I felt the same way about the Wii U to a degree, I was much more likely to beat a game if I got it on the Wii U or 3DS than I was if I got it on PC.

In terms of games? Again, being a bit time poor it doesn't really bother me if I have to wait a little bit for a game I want. Even so I don't think the Switch has been particularly software poor. I got Zelda at launch which served me pretty well right up until Mario Kart 8 came out. Then Arms came out which I have been playing pretty much exclusively with the exception of the indie releases like Steam World Dig 2. Super Mario Odyssey comes out this week which will probably be almost enough for me on the platform for most of the rest of the year. And if it's not then I can get Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Mario & Rabbids or Splatoon 2. I could potentially grab games like Doom, Skyrim, L.A.Noire which I have on PC but would be happy to play again on Switch. And between that there is a flood of indie releases and the Zelda DLC which is coming soon.

Each to their own I guess but my experience hasn't really been like this at all.

The main issues with the switch to me are no backwards compatability and that it only has one game currently worth buying. The new Mario game might make it 2, although I've never been a huge Mario fan, especially with 3d Mario games.

The Switch just doesn't have enough of a games library to make it worth buying, which is ridiculous considering how rich Nintendo's game history is. Nintendo wants to milk their previous console games by just trickling out a few at a time with limited classic console releases, so they crippled the switch's launch by having no games. It will take a fairly long time for that to turn around to, and by then people will have moved on.

Its a shame, since it has a lot of appeal as a mobile gaming hybrid.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The Switch is exactly what a console should be. 

100% portable, but easy to throw up on your TV. 

It’s underpowered now, yes..... but I see the future, and this is the experience I want..... and each new version will beef up on hardware. 

You can have the most overpowered PC for gaming in the world..... but what good is it when you’re not at your desk?

14 hours ago, NoDoubt said:

and each new version will beef up on hardware.

which will still be generations behind the competition.

Honestly, Nintendo should make a $400-500 proper unibody, powerful Switch with a 1080p screen and capable hardware. AND make a good quantity of them... instead of letting resellers make money, they should make that money themselves!

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN: