best intel xeon cpu for cheap $500 dual socket gaming rig

Hey guys quick question, what would be the best intel xeon for gaming? 

I really wouldn't recommend Xeon's for gaming especially for cheap builds, try go with Ryzen 5/7 or better (my opinion) i7-7700/k/8700/k

Why would you get a dual Xeon system for gaming? O.o A Ryzen 5 1600 or an i5 8400/8600/i7 8700(K) would be much better options. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, TheCheese said:

I really wouldn't recommend Xeon's for gaming especially for cheap builds, try go with Ryzen 5/7 or better (my opinion) i7-7700/k/8700/k

for 500 dollars complete comp build

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why would you get a dual Xeon system for gaming? O.o A Ryzen 5 1600 or an i5 8400 would be much better options. 

Then this guy is right

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why would you get a dual Xeon system for gaming? O.o A Ryzen 5 1600 or an i5 8400 would be much better options. 

I would like dual xeons since its my first setup and i got about 500 to spend on the full build. I was thinking that with a lot of cores I could overclock the xeon a little bit and the difference between a gaming cpu and a server cpu for gaming and also for rendering

I'm sure if you hunt around websites like amazon etc... it would be possible but not viable, and Ryzens can handle gaming and rendering reasonably well by themselves so then you pair it up with slightly better RAM and viola.

Maybe a graphics card like this dude said

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why would you get a dual Xeon system for gaming? O.o A Ryzen 5 1600 or an i5 8400/8600/i7 8700(K) would be much better options. 

5 minutes ago, log dawg said:

I would like dual xeons since its my first setup and i got about 500 to spend on the full build. I was thinking that with a lot of cores I could overclock the xeon a little bit and the difference between a gaming cpu and a server cpu for gaming and also for rendering

Still why though O.o

Old Xeons have pretty crappy IPC

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, TheCheese said:

I'm sure if you hunt around websites like amazon etc... it would be possible but not viable, and Ryzens can handle gaming and rendering reasonably well by themselves so then you pair it up with slightly better RAM and viola.

Maybe a graphics card like this dude said

i need a whole setup for 500

4 minutes ago, JDE said:

Still why though O.o

Old Xeons have pretty crappy IPC

not like an extremely old xeon like the e5 2670

13 minutes ago, log dawg said:

There was only 1 dual socket board that could overclock Xeons and it goes for like €400+ now, so it won't happen, no overclocking on dual Xeons on a budget. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

There was only 1 dual socket board that could overclock Xeons and it goes for like €400+ now, so it won't happen, no overclocking on dual Xeons on a budget. 

then what would you suggest then for a complete build cheaply

Just now, log dawg said:

then what would you suggest then for a complete build cheaply

Ryzen basically, CPU's and motherboards are cheaper. Now you can probably get an old LGA 1366 Xeon system for $500, but the crappy IPC argument comes back. Also that's the price of two E5 2670's, they only get more expensive from there. Motherboards also cost a hell of a lot. 

Screenshot (93).png

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Ryzen basically, CPU's and motherboards are cheaper. Now you can probably get an old LGA 1366 Xeon system for $500, but the crappy IPC argument comes back. Also that's the price of two E5 2670's, they only get more expensive from there. Motherboards also cost a hell of a lot. 

Screenshot (93).png

how about like other cheap setups i could do? Like if it was your setup what would u do for a budget builld

Just now, log dawg said:

how about like other cheap setups i could do? Like if it was your setup what would u do for a budget builld

Me and budget.... don't really go along very well, but if I had to build a new system for $500 (I live in Ireland so that's impossible for me to build a decent PC for that) I'd probably go either Ryzen or look for 2nd hand haswell stuff. Getting an entire system for $500, it can be done, The first season of Scrap Yard wars did it for $500 CAD, so USD would get more. Maybe an X58 system if you want more cores. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Me and budget.... don't really go along very well, but if I had to build a new system for $500 (I live in Ireland so that's impossible for me to build a decent PC for that) I'd probably go either Ryzen or look for 2nd hand haswell stuff. Getting an entire system for $500, it can be done, The first season of Scrap Yard wars did it for $500 CAD, so USD would get more. Maybe an X58 system if you want more cores. 

thats what i was thinking with the x58 intel. How are they for overclocking and multisockets

Just now, log dawg said:

thats what i was thinking with the x58 intel. How are they for overclocking and multisockets

They don't make dual socket X58 boards, only Xeons support more than 1 processor, and they don't officially support overclocking. LGA 1366 dual socket boards mostly use the Intel 5520 North Bridge. The most powerful Xeons it supports are X5690's, 3.4GHz 6 cores. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

They don't make dual socket X58 boards, only Xeons support more than 1 processor, and they don't officially support overclocking. LGA 1366 dual socket boards mostly use the Intel 5520 North Bridge. The most powerful Xeons it supports are X5690's, 3.4GHz 6 cores. 

how are those cpus the x5690s?

Just now, log dawg said:

how are those cpus the x5690s?

Well they're still a little expensive but not awful, they're pre Sandy Bridge though.... IPCs aren't great, I use dual X5670's and E5606's.

Yours faithfully

• 3 months later...

I mate , try to go to X58 p6t delux or msi x58 ou gigabyte..

I have a P6t whit a x5677 stock speed whit gtx 970 itx, 12 GB ram 3 channel , 2 ssd "no hard drive´s crap , just give up form mechanical drives ",  runing nice..

I play all recent games no problem´s .. if you want mor cores try the x 5680 3.3Ghz base or the x5687 quad core whit more Ghz base clock if is for gaming..you can overclock the x5680 but i don´t like to overclock is nice to try but for long therm i don´t like because you will destroy your cpu and mob ...

Buy some ecc memory kit on ebay or amozon for cheap ..do not buy over 1333mhz because your cpu don´t let you use over it...is a server cpu :( but is nice to mining my x5677 makes me around 50 cent´s day xD ..

I play , gta V , Dota 2 , CSGO, Day z crap.., rust and more ...

On 10/8/2017 at 7:37 PM, log dawg said:

if you want a cheapo gaming pc i would probably stray away from any dual socket cpus . I wouldnt recommend x58 either since motherboards are still rather expensive but if you can get a good deal on a motherboard it can be worthwhile. You only have two options. lga 1156 or lga1155. On lga 1156 you can get a xeon x3450 which is very similar to an i7 860 for only like 20$ online. It's overclockable and you can get great performance if you couple it with say a gtx 970/gtx 1060 level gpu. H55 motherboards are also rather cheap and should allow you to get a decent overclock. On lga 1155 you can either do what i have done and get a cheap pc with an i5 2400/2500, or you can try getting an h61 motherboard online and get a xeon e3 1230 for about 80$. Performance is basically identical to an i7 2600 which is still a great cpu for gaming even in 2018 (performs similar to ryzen 5 1500x in most cases)

Try finding a HP Z420 with a E5-1650v1 or v2 for less than 500$. You can find them with 16 or 32GB of ram, 128GB SSD and official Windows key... 

The clockspeed of that Xeon is high enough for gaming or single-threaded tasks. If you are rendering video or other tasks you still have 6 cores/12threads.

The powersupply is powerfull enough for a good gaming gpu. It has 2x 6-pin pci-e powercables.

Having dual Xeon setup won't benefit you with gaming, the second Xeon won't do any work...

1 hour ago, Dog_01 said:

I mate , try to go to X58 p6t delux or msi x58 ou gigabyte..

I have a P6t whit a x5677 stock speed whit gtx 970 itx, 12 GB ram 3 channel , 2 ssd "no hard drive´s crap , just give up form mechanical drives ",  runing nice..

I play all recent games no problem´s .. if you want mor cores try the x 5680 3.3Ghz base or the x5687 quad core whit more Ghz base clock if is for gaming..you can overclock the x5680 but i don´t like to overclock is nice to try but for long therm i don´t like because you will destroy your cpu and mob ...

Buy some ecc memory kit on ebay or amozon for cheap ..do not buy over 1333mhz because your cpu don´t let you use over it...is a server cpu :( but is nice to mining my x5677 makes me around 50 cent´s day xD ..

I play , gta V , Dota 2 , CSGO, Day z crap.., rust and more ...

You can find a x58 , between 90$ to 150$ ,and if you go overclock is the deal !!

If you go to dual xeon ..you gonna have a head pain to find a decent mob with pci-e x16 under 100$!

Try to go to a 1 xeon config ..try a 6 core 12 th for working and casual gaming !

For gaming try a x5677 or x5687 4 core 8 th whit mor Ghz base clock and turbo!!

Have compare my rig vs actual generations and does his job with honor!

You can search for modern parts to is my best advise to you , you don t need a core i5 or i7 to gaming heavy games but helps ..

you can try to find used parts form new 7 and 8 generation.. like ...

CPU++++++ i3 8350k 4.0 Ghz 195$ 4 core you just need 4 cores for gaming so is the deal or i3 7100 3.9 Ghz 2 cores 4 th 110$  and does the job to !

MOB+++++  8350k MSI Z370-A PRO 120 $ for 7100 Gigabyte GA-H110M-M.2  59$ no overclock !

Memory+++ Kingston ValueRAM 8 Go (2x 4 Go) DDR4 2133... does the job well ! 100$

Gpu++++++ Radeon RX 560  130$  or nvidia  GTX 1050  130$ or gtx 1050ti is more the right chose for 160$

PSu++++++ Corsair Builder Series VS450 80PLUS for 40$

ssd++++++ Crucial MX500 250 Go 85$

...the case you get one cheap or your old one ..if you have a decent psu good!! less money you spend...

110+59+100+160+40+85= 554 $ you can get some parts cheaper than i post her so is 500$ to 550$!  ..generation 7

195+120+100+160+40+85= 700 $ generation 8

you can cut the price by take ssd off and psu .. or try to find all this parts used ..

Most of the modern games depends of the single tread performance and uses the maximum of 4 cores , so 6 core and more do not affect gaming performance ...i compare a i5 vs i3 8 gen and don t wort the extra money you pay ...and after some months intel release a new gen of cpus and you spend money just to say i have a outdated extream i7 or i9 ..so i prefer to do a smart buy ..like 8350k for me is one i5 form 7 gen with some improves and cost me less money and have mor power and single tread performance.. actually my p6t and x5677 will go do some mining job s or i will sell it ..   

Take a look at your local classifieds (craigslist, ebay, whatever). Search x58 and look for motherboards. Can you see any for under 100$ that are from Asus/Gigabyte and listed as working 100%? If so, maybe a xeon system is an option. Otherwise? Go look on ebay for a 2600k+RAM+p67/z68/z77 board combo for about 200$/€, get a decent PSU, decent CPU cooler and case. Add a 1050 Ti and then overclock the 2600k. With current RAM prices building a new system for ~500 isn't the best idea...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W