Could an alternator be used to power a PC?

3 Lions

Just a question that popped into my head a few moments ago :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

So... You're asking if something that generates AC current can power something that runs on AC current? (Well, the PSU runs on AC).

Like, do you even know what an alternator is?  It produces alternating current, it's literally in it's name.  The current that runs through all our homes.

This question is about as sensible as asking 'Can you use water to quench thirst?' 

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

Like, do you even know what an alternator is?

Yeah your speaking to a person that has got a level 1 vehicle maintenance qualification.  

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

So... You're asking if something that generates AC current can power something that runs on AC current? (Well, the PSU runs on AC).

Like, do you even know what an alternator is?  It produces alternating current, it's literally in it's name.  The current that runs through all our homes.

This question is about as sensible as asking 'Can you use water to quench thirst?' 

More like salt water, BUT if you have a convertor @linustechtipsfanfromdarlo maybe. You know, like what a PSU does is change AC to DC

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yeah your speaking to a person that has got a level 1 vehicle maintenance qualification.  

This isnt helping making you look less stupid in this thread..  

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Very rude. Trying to make an example by comparing water to thirst when salt water would be a better example. You need a filter or convertor to take out the salt or change it to DC. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

What ever you say...

زندگی از چراغ

6 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Very rude. Trying to make an example by comparing water to thirst when salt water would be a better example. You need a filter or convertor to take out the salt or change it to DC. 

...that's what the power supply on the computer does already...

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

...that's what the power supply on the computer does already...

And that's my point, thank you. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

And that's my point, thank you. 

Yes and those are already built into computers...

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yes and those are already built into computers...

See how pointless it would be to use an alternator then? Haha, talk about high thermals 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

If the computer has a Power Supply, it should be able to take the AC power that the Alternator generates, to power the PC, the same way it would if you'd plug it into a wall socket.

If the computer doesn't have a Power Supply, you're just gonna fry everything since a computer use DC and a PSU's role is to convert that AC to DC. Meaning you'd also require a converter.

This is what I got from reading the other comments, without the condescending opinions in them.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If the computer has a Power Supply, it should be able to take the AC power that the Alternator generates, to power the PC, the same way it would if you'd plug it into a wall socket.

Though, I would think a PSU that is designed to hook into a wall socket is expecting a certain voltage and amps.  Then again, alternators do come with different ratings.  Most of the time I seen individuals do anything with alternators beside a vehicle is ones being driven by a belt hooked to bicycles, water mills, or wind mills then hooked to car batteries that are then wired to plugs to allow common electronics to run.  Or my favorite, re purposing one into a gas generator build.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

If it produces enough power for your vehicle and still supply the wattage to run your system and a transformer to output the right voltage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Although a car-alternator will provide too low a voltage for a PC PSU. Full range PSU's are the most tolerant but still require a minimum voltage of 80-ish volts.

4 minutes ago, Unimportant said:

Although a car-alternator will provide too low a voltage for a PC PSU. Full range PSU's are the most tolerant but still require a minimum voltage of 80-ish volts.

How much voltage does a modern PC use? Alternators can output up to something like 22v these days

Ignore me, not reading things properly as per

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

How much voltage does a modern PC use? Alternators can output up to something like 22v these days

As said, full range PSU's start to go from somewhere around 80-ish volts.

Internally, A PC uses 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC - So it's possible to make a PSU that runs a PC off a 22V AC alternator, but your normal PSU won't do it.

1 minute ago, Unimportant said:

As said, full range PSU's start to go from somewhere around 80-ish volts.

Internally, A PC uses 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC - So it's possible to make a PSU that runs a PC off a 22V AC alternator, but your normal PSU won't do it.

I edited my initial post.

If you could make an alternator big enough and have something powerful enough to power it (one big fuck off diesel engine/generator) then in theory you could, but it wouldnt be worth the effort

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

I edited my initial post.

If you could make an alternator big enough and have something powerful enough to power it (one big fuck off diesel engine/generator) then in theory you could, but it wouldnt be worth the effort

Nuclear energy powered PC?

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, BadluckBrian said:

Nuclear energy powered PC?

sounds fruity

Just now, iDeFecZx said:

sounds fruity

Added benefit; emits heat so you can cuddle with your nuclear canister. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

You can power a x86 motherboard from a car's battery/alternator.  Even though the motherboard needs 12V on the highest volt rail, and most car batteries are around 13 V when charged, the alternator will create spikes of over 100V (you can't see this on most voltmeter's because it happens too fast).  Those votlage spikes would kill a computer connected directly to the battery.  Of course, who would wire it that way.  I was only pointing that out because I think it's interesting.

There are power distribution boards made for exactly this.  You can hack a board like this out of some vehicles (since all modern cars have ECU's).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/M4-ATX-HV-Intelligent-Power-Supply-6-34V/dp/B005TWE4YM

I've personally used that board with a 13 Volt power source and was able to run an underclocked i7 6700K (2.0 Ghz, approx. 30 Watts at full load) and a GTX 750 ti.  There's a lot of cool stuff you can imagine doing with a mobile computer like this. 

BTW, although a car will let you keep the computer on indefinitely as long as the car's motor is running, you can also build a mobile computer with a battery using a board like this... Endless possibilities!!

41 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

the alternator will create spikes of over 100V

This is false. 

Most automotive alternators have 3 phases generating AC voltage rectified into DC voltage with diodes. This creates a kind of picket fence type waveform viewable on an oscilloscope. This would not work to power a computer because of the ripple assuming you had something to provide 3.3, 5, and 12 volt rails. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

12 hours ago, vetali said:

This is false. 

Most automotive alternators have 3 phases generating AC voltage rectified into DC voltage with diodes. This creates a kind of picket fence type waveform viewable on an oscilloscope. This would not work to power a computer because of the ripple assuming you had something to provide 3.3, 5, and 12 volt rails. 

I'm 99% sure that it's not false.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find a resource to describe this (searching google for car alternators is a huge hit).  The spikes will be fractions of a second and will not show up on a voltmeter, but they will destroy sensitive electronics.  If I had more time I'd search for it, but we can agree to disagree since it's not really a major issue. 

However, did you read the rest of my post?  There are power distribution boards available designed specifically to let a person power a motherboard from a car battery, although they can certainly be adapted for other purposes.

BTW, directly from the information listed with the power board I linked to in the previous post :

"M4-ATX-HV is a wide input (6 to 34V) vehicle / car / battery operated<br>ATX power supply capable of surviving tough car engine cranks (down to<br>6V) as well as transient over-voltage situations"

Regardless of the spikes, anyone can hook a motherboard up to a car's battery and create a mobile computer if that is what they intend to do.

Transient Over-voltage in a vehicle

http://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics_technical/application_notes/varistors/littelfuse_suppression_of_transients_in_an_automotive_environment_application_note.pdf

Sorry for the double post, but searching for transient over-voltage pretty much clears this up.  If you still disagree, I consider you take your argument to an electrical engineer and not debate with me, since all I can do is regurgitate what I've seen on this topic.

Take care.