General Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Discussion

Go to solution Solved by GrockleTD,

image.jpeg.b8411fead9bfaea71c078608c4627778.jpeg

Ok the article is from a couple days ago, but did anyone else see it??? Intel possibly making a comeback in the HEDT space?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-return-to-hedt-xeon-w9-3495x-hits-geekbenched

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok the article is from a couple days ago, but did anyone else see it??? Intel possibly making a comeback in the HEDT space?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-return-to-hedt-xeon-w9-3495x-hits-geekbenched

This is the first I'm hearing of this news.

Hopefully they expand into the enthusiast space a little bit instead of 56-core chips that us mortals will never be able to obtain while they're modern.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This is the first I'm hearing of this news.

Hopefully they expand into the enthusiast space a little bit instead of 56-core chips that us mortals will never be able to obtain while they're modern.

Yeah that's the thing that got me worried a bit when I read the article initially as they appear to be marketing it towards workstations with the Xeon processors. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

40 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yeah that's the thing that got me worried a bit when I read the article initially as they appear to be marketing it towards workstations with the Xeon processors. 

I mean, to be fair, X58, X79. X99, and X299 were all workstation platforms as well. They essentially just served the role of "people who needed workstation hardware but couldn't buy supercomputers" or "people who needed cores and performance in their home".

Workstation hardware isn't exactly my issue, that's nearly what we all run in this thread anyway. My worry is that instead of occupying the workstation space, these new Xeons will reside in the server space or the very high end workstation space. Think Epyc or the imaginary tier between Threadripper and Epyc.

Seems like the Xeons are more targeted at the server space rather than the consumer workstation HEDT space that X58/X79/X99/X299 were all aimed at.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I mean, to be fair, X58, X79. X99, and X299 were all workstation platforms as well. They essentially just served the role of "people who needed workstation hardware but couldn't buy supercomputers" or "people who needed cores and performance in their home".

Workstation hardware isn't exactly my issue, that's nearly what we all run in this thread anyway. My worry is that instead of occupying the workstation space, these new Xeons will reside in the server space or the very high end workstation space. Think Epyc or the imaginary tier between Threadripper and Epyc.

Seems like the Xeons are more targeted at the server space rather than the consumer workstation HEDT space that X58/X79/X99/X299 were all aimed at.

They did deviate from that path as we got into X99 and X299 with their extreme Core processors. They were basically the streamer's platform/high-end gaming when Intel kept us locked in at 4C/8T until Ryzen came along. 

This part (in bold), I feel will indeed be the case with this HEDT generation coming from Intel. 

3 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

More information in case anyone wants to dive further into the W790 chipset: 

https://wccftech.com/intel-w790-desktop-workstation-hedt-cpu-platform-detailed-up-to-8-channel-ddr5-oc-support/

This article is similar to the wccftech article above: https://appuals.com/official-specs-for-w790-leak-out/

https://videocardz.com/newz/supermicro-next-gen-intel-w790-xeon-hedt-motherboard-pictured-up-close

Intel will probably try to compete with the really expensive Threadripper Pro platform since AMD doesn't have any consumer Threadrippers anymore.

So if you need more PCIe lanes or more RAM and memory bandwidth than what the mainstream platforms offer you have to spend thousands for a CPU

Intel Core i9-10900X, Asus TUF X299 Mark 1, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 2TB 970 EVO Plus, 2TB SN570, 8TB HDD, DC Assassin III, Meshify 2

Old PC: Intel Xeon X5670 6c/12t @ 4.40GHz, Asus P6X58D-E, 24GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 500GB, 250GB & 120GB SSD, 2x 4TB & 2x 2TB HDD, Fractal Define R5

PC 2: Intel Xeon E5-2690 8c/16t @ 3.3-3.8GHz, ThinkStation S30 (C602/X79), 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR3 1600MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 960 Turbo OC, 1TB Crucial MX500

PC 3: Intel Core i7-3770 4c/8t @ 4.22-4.43GHz, Asus P8Z77-V LK, 16GB DDR3 1648MHz, Asus RX 470 Strix, 1TB & 250GB Crucial MX500 and 3x 500GB HDD

Laptop: ThinkPad T440p, Intel Core i7-4800MQ 4c/8t @ 2.7-3.7GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, GeForce GT 730M (GPU: 1006MHz MEM: 1151MHz), 2TB SSD, 14" 1080p IPS, 100Wh battery

Laptop 2: ThinkPad T450, Intel Core i7-5600U 2c/4t @ 2.6-3.2GHz, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Intel HD 5500, 250GB SSD, 14" 900p TN, 24Wh + 72Wh batteries

Phone: Huawei Honor 9 64GB + 256GB card Watch: Motorola Moto 360 1st Gen.

General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion

Some other PC's:

Spoiler

Some of the specs of these systems might not be up to date

PC 4: Intel Xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 3.07-3.47GHz, HP 0B4Ch (X58), 12GB DDR3 1333MHz, Asus GeForce GTX 660 DC2, 240GB & 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD

PC 5: Intel Xeon W3550 @ 3.07GHz, HP (X58), 8GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (GPU: 1050MHz MEM: 1250MHz), 120GB SSD, 2TB, 1TB and 500GB HDD

PC 6: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.8GHz, Asus P5KC, 8GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470, 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD

HTPC: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, HP DC7900SFF, 8GB DDR2 800MHz, Asus Radeon HD 6570, 240GB SSD and 3TB HDD

WinXP PC: Intel Core2 Duo E6300 @ 2.33GHz, Asus P5B, 2GB DDR2 667MHz, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT, 32GB SSD and 80GB HDD

RetroPC: Intel Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, Gigabyte GA-8SGXLFS, 2gb DDR1, ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, 2x 40gb HDD

My first PC: Intel Celeron 333MHz, Diamond Micronics C400, 384mb RAM, Diamond Viper V550 (NVIDIA Riva TNT), 6gb and 8gb HDD

Server: 2x Intel Xeon E5420, Dell PowerEdge 2950, 32gb DDR2, ATI ES1000, 4x 146gb SAS

Dual Opteron PC: 2x 6-core AMD Opteron 2419EE, HP XW9400, 32GB DDR2, ATI Radeon 3650, 500gb HDD

Core2 Duo PC: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, HP DC7800, 4gb DDR2, NVIDIA Quadro FX1700, 1tb and 80gb HDD

Athlon XP PC: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MSI something, 1,5gb DDR1, ATI Radeon 9200, 40gb HDD

Thinkpad: Intel Core2 Duo T7200, Lenovo Thinkpad T60, 4gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400, 1tb HDD

Pentium 3 PC: Intel Pentium 3 866MHz, Asus CUSL2-C, 512mb RAM, 3DFX VooDoo 3 2000 AGP

Laptop: Dell Latitude E6430, Intel Core i5-3210M, 6gb DDR3 1600MHz , Intel HD 4000, 250gb Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1TB WD Blue HDD

Laptop: Latitude 3380, Intel Pentium Gold 4415U 2c/4t @ 2.3GHz, 8GB DDR4, Intel HD 610, 120GB SSD, 13.3" 768p TN, 56Wh battery

14 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

They did deviate from that path as we got into X99 and X299 with their extreme Core processors. They were basically the streamer's platform/high-end gaming when Intel kept us locked in at 4C/8T until Ryzen came along. 

This part (in bold), I feel will indeed be the case with this HEDT generation coming from Intel. 

One can hope. I would still choose X299 over a lot of modern platforms.

Nothing wrong with the Core i7 Extreme Edition processors. Kaby Lake-X was a major flop and we don't need that again, but stuff more along the lines of Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, that's the good stuff.

All I really want is decent power efficiency with a bunch of cores at a solid frequency on a workstation platform. The one downside of current Intel HEDT is that they're all dead sockets, and there isn't really an upgrade path that allows you to stay on Intel without venturing into the server space.

3 minutes ago, Pasi123 said:

Intel will probably try to compete with the really expensive Threadripper Pro platform since AMD doesn't have any consumer Threadrippers anymore.

So if you need more PCIe lanes or more RAM and memory bandwidth than what the mainstream platforms offer you have to spend thousands for a CPU

Yeah, this was more or less my concern.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

One can hope. I would still choose X299 over a lot of modern platforms.

Nothing wrong with the Core i7 Extreme Edition processors. Kaby Lake-X was a major flop and we don't need that again, but stuff more along the lines of Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, that's the good stuff.

All I really want is decent power efficiency with a bunch of cores at a solid frequency on a workstation platform. The one downside of current Intel HEDT is that they're all dead sockets, and there isn't really an upgrade path that allows you to stay on Intel without venturing into the server space.

Really, even with the lackluster single core performance on X299 compared to consumer chips?? 

Skylake-X, Cascade Lake-X were great for the time being. 

Perhaps, we'll be lucky in receiving an X socket chipset for us enthusiasts further out from when W790 releases.

6 minutes ago, Pasi123 said:

This is all hypothetical, so take it with a grain of salt: Intel's Q4 2022 missed projections where the consumer market has weakened slightly, while server market has remained strong. I think Intel has the ability to undercut Threadripper PRO as they can afford to do so to remain competitive against AMD. I think their main focus right now is to remain in control with workstation platforms that need the processing power. Will they be cheap, no, of course not. Maybe even poorer binned Xeons will become the new Extreme Edition X(E) overclockable processors down the road (getting back to what I said above with maybe an X series socket for desktop enthusiasts). 

24 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Really, even with the lackluster single core performance on X299 compared to consumer chips?? 

Skylake-X, Cascade Lake-X were great for the time being.

I honestly don't do nearly enough single threaded stuff at this point to care. Core i7-7820X will be fine for a while.

When I rebuilt my PC into X299, I did it with the idea of turning it more into a workstation and a potential flight sim. RAM was cheap, so I went big with 64GB just to make sure I'd cover all my potential bases for at least a couple years.

I'm learning programming again with the intention of getting into AI at least as a hobbyist, so I snagged a cheap GPU upgrade to help me do AI and machine learning a little more efficiently.

As a result of several factors, I'm doing less and less video gaming these days and looking at more intensive tasks, so I'm not worried if my CPU won't get the best possible performance in the newest titles.

Additionally, my motherboard not being Windows 11 Ready means that I can continue to use my PC in peace without Microsoft bothering me to upgrade. Might not be an optimal choice, but that's certainly a major selling point for me.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I honestly don't do nearly enough single threaded stuff at this point to care. Core i7-7820X will be fine for a while.

When I rebuilt my PC into X299, I did it with the idea of turning it more into a workstation and a potential flight sim. RAM was cheap, so I went big with 64GB just to make sure I'd cover all my potential bases for at least a couple years.

I'm learning programming again with the intention of getting into AI at least as a hobbyist, so I snagged a cheap GPU upgrade to help me do AI and machine learning a little more efficiently.

As a result of several factors, I'm doing less and less video gaming these days and looking at more intensive tasks, so I'm not worried if my CPU won't get the best possible performance in the newest titles.

Additionally, my motherboard not being Windows 11 Ready means that I can continue to use my PC in peace without Microsoft bothering me to upgrade. Might not be an optimal choice, but that's certainly a major selling point for me.

X299 is Windows 11 compatible unless the BIOS doesn't have fTPM(?), so is the 7820X. Microsoft may come knocking soon. 

If I ever have time to tinker and have more parts without ripping them out of my current PC, I'd screw around on my X299 stuff. Tbh, growing up, I was really thrilled by everything with HEDT at the time, you know all the extra cores, PCIe lanes, 8 DIMMs vs 4 DIMMs, which was the reason I decided to upgrade from Z79 to X299 at the time. It just caught my imagination as a kid with that platform when a friend of mine had an Alienware Area-51 with a 5820X installed. Lol, have the times changed. 😂

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

X299 is Windows 11 compatible unless the BIOS doesn't have fTPM(?), so is the 7820X. Microsoft may come knocking soon.

I'd have to be running the latest BIOS to know for sure, and I can't be bothered to update that just yet.

12 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Tbh, growing up, I was really thrilled by everything with HEDT at the time, you know all the extra cores, PCIe lanes, 8 DIMMs vs 4 DIMMs, which was the reason I decided to upgrade from Z79 to X299 at the time. It just caught my imagination as a kid with that platform when a friend of mine had an Alienware Area-51 with a 5820X installed. Lol, have the times changed. 😂

I wasn't into PCs much growing up, but I got on the HEDT train when I discovered Linus Tech Tips just in time for the 5960X to be the best CPU on the market. A lot of the older LTT videos surrounding X99 were instrumental to how I approached the PC world, even now. HEDT hardware will always look cooler than regular consumer stuff.

I love that my motherboard has two EPS connectors and a supplementary PCIe power for when the slots themselves need that extra boost. Little stuff like that really tickles my nerd brain in a way few things do.

I'd want something with better single core performance at this point.

And while X99 is cool it kinda hurts when my 25W, 1.1kg 5700U laptop trumps my OCd 5960X at 1/10th of the power.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I honestly don't do nearly enough single threaded stuff at this point to care.

^^ same here. I don’t really do anything that needs fast cores, they’d be neat but not required. At this point I just game, and I only shoot for 60fps which is incredibly easy. Fallout 76 is the only title I have that even requires much of an overclock, purely due to being functionally single-threaded and having a lot going on (fallout 4 is fine despite being nearly the same engine). For any other tasks I can just do the ole “throw cores at it”. 

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

And while X99 is cool it kinda hurts when my 25W, 1.1kg 5700U laptop trumps my OCd 5960X at 1/10th of the power.

Yeeep. I’ve been eyeing an i3 12100 setup to use over the summer, due to the sheer amount of heat my 7980XE dumps into my lounge. My killawatt broke, but going off other people’s numbers it’s probably somewhere around 400W. 

12 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Should be. You have a FTW-K IIRC, don’t see why my Dark would be fine with W11 and the FTW wouldn’t. 

12 hours ago, Pasi123 said:

+1 for this worry. I want actually attainable HEDT, not “server lite” workstation type stuff. Not sure why both AMD and Intel abandoned that sector, I guess the private folks buying HEDT themselves weren’t profitable enough vs large companies that can slurp up nauseatingly expensive machines with ease. Must be, as AMD promised support for sTRX4 and then killed it off after one generation of CPUs, TR community doesn’t seem large enough to raise enough of a row over that. I imagine if they had done the same with AM4 there’d be an incredible outcry. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

25 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Not sure why both AMD and Intel abandoned that sector, I guess the private folks buying HEDT themselves weren’t profitable enough vs large companies that can slurp up nauseatingly expensive machines with ease. Must be, as AMD promised support for sTRX4 and then killed it off after one generation of CPUs, TR community doesn’t seem large enough to raise enough of a row over that. I imagine if they had done the same with AM4 there’d be an incredible outcry.

I think mainly, AMD is to blame with the introduction of Threadripper to compete again Intel's HEDT Core Extreme CPUs. Then once AMD saw the following of their products and also with the introduction of consumer high-core count chips of 8C/12C/16C, that they really didn't need to have a "cheap" enthusiast TR anymore; they made it binary in a sense of if your a professional or not demanding high core count CPUs, distinguishing Ryzen and Threadripper PRO now. Intel hasn't been able to compete with Skylake-X and X299 in general so they receded from the market with chips such as the 9900K introducing 8C/16T onto the consumer platform thru present day. 

12 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

I think mainly, AMD is to blame with the introduction of Threadripper to compete again Intel's HEDT Core Extreme CPUs. Then once AMD saw the following of their products and also with the introduction of consumer high-core count chips of 8C/12C/16C, that they really didn't need to have a "cheap" enthusiast TR anymore; they made it binary in a sense of if your a professional or not demanding high core count CPUs, distinguishing Ryzen and Threadripper PRO now. Intel hasn't been able to compete with Skylake-X and X299 in general so they receded from the market with chips such as the 9900K introducing 8C/16T onto the consumer platform thru present day. 

This would also explain why Ryzen has ECC support, even on the consumer socket.

12 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Should be. You have a FTW-K IIRC, don’t see why my Dark would be fine with W11 and the FTW wouldn’t.

Probably either needs a BIOS update or TPM to be enabled in BIOS. Either way, Microsoft isn't bothering me with pressure to update and I'm fine keeping it that way. My greatest worry is that I'll accidentally update my OS when installing other random system updates 😄

19 hours ago, Kilrah said:

I really don't want to think about how much more power efficient my MacBook Pro with a 9750H is compared to my 7820X. Sure it has fewer cores and a worse cooling solution, but I have little doubt in my mind that with some good cooling, this mobile Core i7 could wipe the floor with my LGA 2066 behemoth.

12 hours ago, Zando_ said:

^^ same here. I don’t really do anything that needs fast cores, they’d be neat but not required. At this point I just game, and I only shoot for 60fps which is incredibly easy. Fallout 76 is the only title I have that even requires much of an overclock, purely due to being functionally single-threaded and having a lot going on (fallout 4 is fine despite being nearly the same engine). For any other tasks I can just do the ole “throw cores at it”.

Yup. DCS: World is a game I've been thinking about getting into a little bit, and while that game is CPU-heavy, it needs cores. More importantly, it needs fast storage and a lot of RAM. This was the main driving force behind me getting a boost in both departments(5820K to 7820X, 16GB to 64GB RAM). Now I just need to eat the cost of head tracking and a HOTAS....

The games I've played the most in the past 6 months are CS:GO and Minecraft, neither of which really require a ton of power. Counter Strike runs perfectly fine at 1080p75, my biggest issue is load times in that regard. Minecraft, though horribly optimized, has no trouble running at 75 FPS the entire time and I really don't mind the decrease I take when I throw on a shaderpack for screenshots.

Having more CPU cores available was my main concern for when I get into some heavier tasks and if I ever need to edit videos again for any reason, it would make the rendering go a little bit faster.

Here it's FS2020 that's very single-thread performance constrained 😞

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Probably either needs a BIOS update or TPM to be enabled in BIOS. Either way, Microsoft isn't bothering me with pressure to update and I'm fine keeping it that way. My greatest worry is that I'll accidentally update my OS when installing other random system updates

I updated to W11 on purpose, prefer most of the UI changes. The right click menu is a lil goofy but NanaZip (a version of 7zip) puts the 7zip menu in the normal spot and that's 99% of my right click usage, so it's quite nice. And task manager is dark mode now, which means I don't flashbang myself opening it on a 27" 4K panel (with the brightness up because otherwise games are too dark) in the middle of the night. That alone makes the few small quirks worth it. Overall though, W11 is just W10 with a nicer aesthetic. 

Now I just need to eat the cost of head tracking and a HOTAS....

Get HOTASAS so you can play Star Citizen too :old-tongue:.

Having more CPU cores available was my main concern for when I get into some heavier tasks and if I ever need to edit videos again for any reason, it would make the rendering go a little bit faster.

The most hilarious bit about this is that if you use Adobe stuff, Intel's own mainstream chips clap the HEDT stuff due to QuickSync. It is weird Intel never put an iGPU bit on the HEDT chips just for that, no need for display output itself purely QuickSync acceleration. Given accelerators are the name of the game on their new server stuff, I wonder if they will implement something like that for the rumored HEDT/WS hardware.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:37 AM, CommanderAlex said:

Intel hasn't been able to compete with Skylake-X and X299 in general so they receded from the market with chips such as the 9900K introducing 8C/16T onto the consumer platform thru present day. 

Pretty much. X299 was competitive with Zen/Zen+ TRs in a lot of stuff, but Zen 2 was basically unbeatable. Also yeah mainstream stuff has gotten nutty for CPU performance. I get a flat 25k or so in CB R32 at 4.5Ghz allcore w/2400Mhz RAM, a friend pushed his 13900K to 6GHz on 4 cores, quite fast still on the rest, pulled a flat 40,000 with a 324W mainstream chip. Even stock (pulling 253W) it absolutely trounces.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

28 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

The most hilarious bit about this is that if you use Adobe stuff, Intel's own mainstream chips clap the HEDT stuff due to QuickSync. It is weird Intel never put an iGPU bit on the HEDT chips just for that, no need for display output itself purely QuickSync acceleration. Given accelerators are the name of the game on their new server stuff, I wonder if they will implement something like that for the rumored HEDT/WS hardware.

You can get an ARC card now tho 😄

F@H

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You can get an ARC card now tho 😄

Having an iGPU is still an improvement: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/intel-arc-a750-a770-content-creation-review-2376/. Resolve charts because at the time Puget did this article, Premiere Pro didn't support hardware decode on ARC yet: 

pic_disp_php.thumb.jpeg.e401b9aaf59b836d97355bcea6142057.jpeg

pic_disp.php-2.thumb.jpeg.6f0f26f20d71452b9ff2b8d877fd71b4.jpeg

Main PC 

4 hours ago, Zando_ said:

I updated to W11 on purpose, prefer most of the UI changes. The right click menu is a lil goofy but NanaZip (a version of 7zip) puts the 7zip menu in the normal spot and that's 99% of my right click usage, so it's quite nice. And task manager is dark mode now, which means I don't flashbang myself opening it on a 27" 4K panel (with the brightness up because otherwise games are too dark) in the middle of the night. That alone makes the few small quirks worth it. Overall though, W11 is just W10 with a nicer aesthetic.

I never upgrade operating systems quickly. I'll give it a few years to mature and then maybe consider leaving 10. I ran Windows 7 until my hardware literally didn't support it anymore, and that was the sole reason I upgraded to 10.

2 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Doubtful but interested

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Doubtful but interested

Who knows...knowing how Intel encounters issues and delays their product lines multiple times. 😂

I did create a Tech News article in case anyone is interested. It just seems like more and more leaks are coming out pointing to a launch, so I felt it was worthy as Tech News.