NLTech

Best Console?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Best Console

• Nintendo Switch
    • Xbox One S/X
    • PS4 S/Pro
    • None, you filthy console peasant

i own ps4 and xbox one. i really enjoy the PS4 exclusives tho so thats where my votes are going. i am a PC gamer for the most part (havent plugged my PS4 in since july and longer for my xbox) but i will be using it again for the upcoming spiderman game and last of us 2

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Just now, SlipperyPete said:

i own ps4 and xbox one. i really enjoy the PS4 exclusives tho so thats where my votes are going. i am a PC gamer for the most part (havent plugged my PS4 in since july) but i will be using it again for the upcoming spiderman game and last of us 2

Nice, I do PC gaming (though not much with a fucking R7 240) and have an Xbox 360 and One S

Well, the xbone and ps4 are both ok space heaters...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, NLTech said:

Nice, I do PC gaming (though not much with a fucking R7 240) and have an Xbox 360 and One S

rip lol. i use to only use console but in the past 2.5 years everything has changed

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Just now, Cyracus said:

Well, the xbone and ps4 are both ok space heaters...

The xbox one s runs actually quite cool. 

'best' is subjective to the usecase of a specific person. for some, the switch may be best because of it's portability, for the other, a PS4 would be the better choice. 

there is no console that is best for everyone.

Just now, SlipperyPete said:

rip lol. i use to only use console but in the past 2.5 years everything has changed

Yea in the past 3 years I have gotten into tech, I only got the 360 December of 2014, before that it was just a Wii, and a DS and a Gameboy SP

I used to play GTA VI on xbox 360 720p low settings 30fps. But I would choose PC any day of the week for a number of different reasons.

objectively PS4 as far as power and games go (i don't own any of the new consoles) but really the switch is the only one filling something the PCs can't really do. exclusives are really just a form of DRM because the hardware in modern consoles is a fucking PC.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

I used to play GTA VI on xbox 360 720p low settings 30fps. But I would choose PC any day of the week for a number of different reasons.

I still play GTA IV on the 360. 

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the hardware in modern consoles is a fucking PC.

kinda, it's wired together differently which is part of why it's difficult to emulate on a pc

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

I'll go with PS4 as it has some good exclusives, but I really don't know about this generation of consoles... they lost even more of their appeal for some reason and what's with all the redesigns? Trying to get people to buy what is essentially the same console with slightly better hardware again just to get a little more performance and a couple of new features.

Just now, chilicheeseburger said:

I'll go with PS4 as it has some good exclusives, but I really don't know about this generation of consoles... they lost even more of their appeal for some reason and what's with all the redesigns? Trying to get people to buy what is essentially the same console with slightly better hardware again just to get a little more performance and a couple of new features.

The Xbox One S is a real step up, and its cheaper now than the Xbox One was at launch, or evena year into its life, and the Xbox One X will be way more powerful than even a GTX 1060 being comparable to a GTX 1070. The Nintendo Switch is a real step up with potentially a TFlop of power (Xbox One has 1.3) Mean while the Wii U had 260 GFlops, the Xbox 360 230, etc, they are step ups and I can say that I have used quite a few Xbox One S features. 

Just now, NLTech said:

The Xbox One S is a real step up, and its cheaper now than the Xbox One was at launch, or evena year into its life, and the Xbox One X will be way more powerful than even a GTX 1060 being comparable to a GTX 1070. The Nintendo Switch is a real step up with potentially a TFlop of power (Xbox One has 1.3) Mean while the Wii U had 260 GFlops, the Xbox 360 230, etc, they are step ups and I can say that I have used quite a few Xbox One S features. 

Wasn't talking about the Switch, since that one is actually a proper new console. But with the Xbox One, S and X it kinda makes me laugh. Back in the day, console gamers always brought up the argument of not having to upgrade their hardware for the life cycle of a console generation. They didn't have a clue about PCs and thought you'd have to upgrade with every new piece of hardware that comes out... 

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

'best' is subjective to the usecase of a specific person. for some, the switch may be best because of it's portability, for the other, a PS4 would be the better choice. 

there is no console that is best for everyone.

Agree,  I have a PS4 Pro, but I got it for the exclusives.  I plan to get a Switch for the its exclusive and the portability looks nice too.

Can not say anything about the Xbox One S since I have yet to mess with one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

For me at least, my only reason for using a console is good, old-fashioned, couch sitting, screen-peeking offline multiplayer. For this basically any console except the new gen of consoles work. So probably like a PS3. Switch is cool but I'm not really into those kinds of games.

That's an F in the profile pic

Best console, for me, is the Super NES. 

Pros:

Cartridge-based games meaning very little time spent on loading levels as it can dump into RAM nearly immediately.

Easy to keep clean and difficult to wear out pins.

Can be used via cable and RCA or A/V.

Lots of games.

SUPER F#CKING GAME BOY!

Cons: 

I have a copy of Mario's Time Machine... [shudders]

Yellows over time, but that's easy to reverse with patience and chemicals.

Too large a library to play all worthwhile games. 

Super Game Boy pretty much exacerbates the "too many games" clause. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Of Course it is the Best the Games are so much Fun and the Graphics are so beautiful for that Time. I Love it 

My 3DS is my only sort of "console" but I use that for FireEmblem now.

PCMR

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Nintendo Switch. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I own both a PS4 and Switch love em both but strictly for games I'm gonna go with the Switch I mostly use my PS4 as a streaming device now and its blu ray player don't get me wrong Uncharted, Nioh, Crash, and FFXV are all awesome but i find myself gaming and getting more excited about the games on the Switch than the PS4.  Especially with some heavy hitters coming up and third party support growing on the Switch I mean its getting freakin Doom and and New Colossus on the go!  When was the last time id/bethesda games were on a Ninty system a portable at that?

- Moved to Console Gaming -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER