Being a PC System Builder is EASY MONEY... right?

2 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

To be worse, its a mb that sold for only $800 when new, but they say "oil boom, we can inflate" although its been done for 3 years and they weren't in it in the first place.

Oil boom? whats that got to do with PC pricing, can't say I understand there logic on that one. I think a lot of it comes down to buying power of smaller shops, some can't afford to mark down their stock. Which is another problem of operating margins. Some small business are one mistake away from financial disaster. 

1 minute ago, William Payne said:

Oil boom? whats that got to do with PC pricing, can't say I understand there logic on that one. I think a lot of it comes down to buying power of smaller shops, some can't afford to mark down their stock. Which is another problem of operating margins. Some small business are one mistake away from financial disaster. 

Our population "in the boom area" went from 3000 to 45000 in about 1.5 years(and we are back down to 7000). Milk went up to $9 for a while. I believe that is more expensive than where they have to fly it in, like in Yellowknife or northern Alaska

1 minute ago, TheGleaner said:

Our population "in the boom area" went from 3000 to 45000 in about 1.5 years(and we are back down to 7000). Milk went up to $9 for a while. I believe that is more expensive than where they have to fly it in, like in Yellowknife or northern Alaska

Sounds like your area had a rather serious supply and demand problem. Are you in a hard to access area?

Just now, William Payne said:

Sounds like your area had a rather serious supply and demand problem. Are you in a hard to access area?

No. The Williston Basin area(or the "bakken" as what its being called, the layer they are drilling to). Close to the center of North America. Two major roads: US 85(nicknamed death road) and US 2(four lane). The towns wouldn't let any other stores in and when they finally did, people were going elsewhere for their needs, up to 300 miles away.  

1 minute ago, TheGleaner said:

No. The Williston Basin area(or the "bakken" as what its being called, the layer they are drilling to). Close to the center of North America. Two major roads: US 85(nicknamed death road) and US 2(four lane). The towns wouldn't let any other stores in and when they finally did, people were going elsewhere for their needs, up to 300 miles away.  

yikes 

Just now, William Payne said:

yikes 

Yep, it was "fun" going to Fargo for groceries, and other supplies, we would end up taking our farm trucks there, fill them up, and bring them back. It was somewhat cheaper than paying for it here. for example: Milk in Fargo: $2.50

I do like Fargo, just not driving 6 hours/300 miles just to go shopping. They do have a nice, wide variety of stores, even a couple focusing on computers. Nice town too, but I am biased as that is where we are from.

16 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Why is the video getting so much shit on YouTube? This was an awesome video and apparently none listened when Linus mentioned the testing process for the machines and complains about prices. YouTube kidos these days!

Some users may be upset at how high the markup is from them. Compared to building your own, puget is extremely expensive, but unlike companies like alienware/dell, that markup at least includes some extra services that attempt to justify some of the markup.

From the pricing, they are not really for regular consumers with time to build a system on their hands, instead they are for businesses who want multiple systems that are built properly ready to use and have had some burn-in testing done to at least avoid getting a lemon. If I had to go for a prebuilt system with a high markup, I would go with them compared to other high markup companies like alienware, apple, and other similar companies, as aat least I know I am getting some individualized testing and hours of extra work put into the system to justify some of that markup.

For everyone else, build a PC yourself and pay much less.

what pisses me off is that there are so many carpetbagging pc builders around here that it is impossible to actually make money legitimately building systems for people. I've lost count of the number of times i've spent hours putting together a system for someone, custom from the ground up, just to have them run to one of these Assholes with a cheaper system that they promise will "do the job" for them thats probably over 4-5 years old and built from used parts with no warrantee whatsoever. i just can't compete with them.

Following AMG, I think Puget System's philosophy should be "One man, one PC". And all systems should come with a plaque with the builder's signature. 

mercedes-amg-going-mainstream-will-help-

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 03/10/2017 at 12:57 PM, Razor512 said:

Sadly with the move to creative cloud adobe gave up on proper multithreading and GPU acceleration (which is why it has not had any progress in years).

In the past when you purchased a copy of the application and you used it forever (only buying a new version if some improvement was made that benefited your specific workflow), adobe took upgrades more seriously. If you can find release notes on older versions, you would see that most focused on improved acceleration and performance before finishing off with their "but wait, there's more" moment where they would introduce some random effect or feature that might be cool to some users.

With the mode to creative cloud, they moved to a system where users paid to continue to use their software. In this business model, there is less pressure to engage in the R&D needed to improve hardware acceleration as those are expenses that will not translate into getting more money out of the current customers. Now all you see are minor tweaks and the occasional new effect that is largely a gimmick for most users.

Thank you for being someone who totally gets why I refuse to pay for an Adobe license! To be clear, I'm totally content with using Adobe CS6 in its' current state, and actually would love to move up to a CC subscription, but until they actually listen to users (and @TaranLMG) they're not going to see a penny of my money. I cannot stand that we've now got 4, 6, and 8 core multi-threaded CPUs available to us and yet software support is so far behind. Now, I'm no app developer, but I certainly understand that you can't just flip a multi-threaded support switch overnight same as I can't just automagically convert a non-responsive website over to HTML5/CSS3 with proper breakpoints in a day. It's just that we're buying this hardware and not fully utilizing it because our software isn't up to par yet.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 10/9/2017 at 11:56 AM, kirashi said:

Thank you for being someone who totally gets why I refuse to pay for an Adobe license! To be clear, I'm totally content with using Adobe CS6 in its' current state, and actually would love to move up to a CC subscription, but until they actually listen to users (and @TaranLMG) they're not going to see a penny of my money. I cannot stand that we've now got 4, 6, and 8 core multi-threaded CPUs available to us and yet software support is so far behind. Now, I'm no app developer, but I certainly understand that you can't just flip a multi-threaded support switch overnight same as I can't just automagically convert a non-responsive website over to HTML5/CSS3 with proper breakpoints in a day. It's just that we're buying this hardware and not fully utilizing it because our software isn't up to par yet.

this is why I say build a system optimised for the software you use and not just whatever has the most power. 

I mean what is the point of having a bazillion cores and threads if the software only uses half a dozen. Yes there are use cases where a task will use as much as you can give it but then you would buy parts accordingly. 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:20 PM, William Payne said:

this is why I say build a system optimised for the software you use and not just whatever has the most power. 

In the case of adobe premiere CC and adobe after effects, a system designed for the adobe premiere CC and After effects CC would be a single core system with the IPC of the core i7 7700k, but running at 100GHz, along with 128GB of RAM, a mid range GPU, and 2 NVMe SSDs (1 for working files, and another for cache).

Overall, there is no current system that can be built by an end user that would be allow full utilization across the board by the Adobe CC series of software.