HP wants you to know that they're still going to produce their flagship Windows 10 Phone through 2019

AlTech
1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

They probably don't think the return on investment is high enough to be worth it.

Yeah I guess, maybe.

There are mentions about so called Surface Phone for 2018 with MS's Andromeda OS (core modular OS as said), like Google's Android and ChromeOS hybrid. So a replacement for W10M in a way. It's quite odd and interesting but we'll see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is a good question.  Google and Apple really should be asking themselves that and trying desperately to come up with an answer.  How can this platform, with, admittedly, many serious limitations like extremely limited app availability still be managing to hang on against their offerings?  Really says something about what they're making imo

Finally, someone agrees with me!

ASU

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is a good question.  Google and Apple really should be asking themselves that and trying desperately to come up with an answer.  How can this platform, with, admittedly, many serious limitations like extremely limited app availability still be managing to hang on against their offerings?  Really says something about what they're making imo

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Finally, someone agrees with me!

The only reason why it is even a thing still is because Microsoft has been pumping the rotten corpse full of dollar bills and some people have been too much in denial to admit that it's actually dead.

If it weren't for a handful of very... "dedicated fans" of Microsoft people on here would almost never hear about Windows 10 Mobile. Its marketshare is currently at 0.1% (maybe even lower now).

For comparison, GNU/Linux is sitting at about 3% desktop marketshare. That means you are 300 times more likely to run into someone who uses GNU/Linux as their desktop OS than you are running into someone who uses Windows mobile as their smartphone OS.

Just now, LAwLz said:

The only reason why it is even a thing still is because Microsoft has been pumping the rotten corpse full of dollar bills and some people have been too much in denial to admit that it's actually dead.

If it weren't for a handful of very... "dedicated fans" of Microsoft people on here would almost never hear about Windows 10 Mobile. Its marketshare is currently at 0.1% (maybe even lower now).

For comparison, GNU/Linux is sitting at about 3% desktop marketshare. That means you are 300 times more likely to run into someone who uses GNU/Linux as their desktop OS than you are running into someone who uses Windows mobile as their smartphone OS.

I must be like a unicorn then xD 

What I was getting at is the reason it's still around, obviously, is someone is buying it... even if it is very few people.  The fact that happens, despite the limitations should be interesting to Google and Apple.  If I were them, I'd be looking very hard into what turned them off "my" product.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I must be like a unicorn then xD 

What I was getting at is the reason it's still around, obviously, is someone is buying it... even if it is very few people.  The fact that happens, despite the limitations should be interesting to Google and Apple.  If I were them, I'd be looking very hard into what turned them off "my" product.

Unfortunately, I think they're considerably more concerned about understanding why someone switches from Android to iOS or vice versa than why there are still people buying Windows phones.  They know that the good features Windows 10 Mobile brings to the table clearly aren't enough to reverse its fortunes, and that at least some of those people are likely buying for reasons other than desirability, such as the ecosystem (I'd like to keep all the apps I use) or just plain inertia (it's what I've bought for years, I'm not changing now).

It'd be fascinating to look at this last crop of Windows phone holdouts for a news story, but for a device maker?  Tough sell.

49 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Unfortunately, I think they're considerably more concerned about understanding why someone switches from Android to iOS or vice versa than why there are still people buying Windows phones.  They know that the good features Windows 10 Mobile brings to the table clearly aren't enough to reverse its fortunes, and that at least some of those people are likely buying for reasons other than desirability, such as the ecosystem (I'd like to keep all the apps I use) or just plain inertia (it's what I've bought for years, I'm not changing now).

It'd be fascinating to look at this last crop of Windows phone holdouts for a news story, but for a device maker?  Tough sell.

Well, yes, I'd imagine they are looking to why people buy the main competing product too (google vs apple) but I keep thinking back to the very limited app ecosystem on windows phone.  If I was google or apple I'd be trying to figure out what made someone hate both of those options so badly they were willing to deal with that for the other perceived benefits.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm still looking to a) either upgrade to the X3 or b) wait for the venerable Surface Phone to magically be announced.

As far as I am concerned WM10 meets an exceeds my needs, neither the iPhone nor Android does what I need them to do. Also Android feels to clunky to me and I have no reason to buy Apple products at this time for both the expense and the ecosystem which I do not use. I am not biased just have what I need and have no reason to change it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

wait for the venerable Surface Phone to magically be announced.

Depends on how long your willing to wait ;)

I'm still looking to a) either upgrade to the X3 or b) wait for the venerable Surface Phone to magically be announced.

38117500.jpg.b9610ec28094398f9d119c2440964af1.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Depends on how long your willing to wait ;)

Just now, Drak3 said:

<snip>

"magically" was the key word ;) lol.

I have already requested the x3 with the lapdock from my employer for field work. That or he gets me a laptop and a phone, this way he saves a few bucks.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I have already requested the x3 with the lapdock from my employer for field work. That or he gets me a laptop and a phone

Few questions:

1. Why?
  2. What phone and laptop would you have gotten otherwise?
  3. Why?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Few questions:

1. Why?
  2. What phone and laptop would you have gotten otherwise?
  3. Why?

I have the 950xl currently and want it to stay on the previewers fast ring.

Most likely some dell laptop and a Blackberry ....

Because for the reason stated above;

As far as I am concerned WM10 meets an exceeds my needs, neither the iPhone nor Android does what I need them to do. Also Android feels to clunky to me and I have no reason to buy Apple products at this time for both the expense and the ecosystem which I do not use. I am not biased just have what I need and have no reason to change it.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I have the 950xl currently and want it to stay on the previewers fast ring.

Most likely some dell laptop and a Blackberry ....

Because for the reason stated above;

I meant more why would you go Convergence over a phone and a laptop. I cannot call the experience with my 950XL or my dad's 950 anything more that a piss poor experience.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

I meant more why would you go Convergence over a phone and a laptop. I cannot call the experience with my 950XL or my dad's 950 anything more that a piss poor experience.

We are going off topic so Ill try to explain myself with this;

Sorry to see your experience be poor but mine hasn't been exemplary either, it has had its ups and downs, but as for daily driver all the apps I require except one or two have been available to me. I do not have a need for many apps. And if I do need one there has been a third party that met the need just as well or better, continuum has been great for my use case as I need access to internet web apps for my job. I can go from my desk hook up to the screen at my desk or use my pc to get done what I need then take my phone and hook to the screen in my vehicle and keep working as if nothing has changed.

I am a pretty simple type to easily satisfy for needs. As for support WM10 is still being constantly supported through updates and feature additions so I have no worries there.

There is no reason at this moment that I have or can think of to switch away from current device other than adding that lapdock. I dont really need a laptop as there is no need for it at least for the current forseable future.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

According to this, they'll be just selling their phone through 2019, with no more accessories for the phone planned due to Microsoft's lack of commitment to Windows 10 Mobile.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/04/hp_inc_exec_x3_device_nixed/

Key sentence right here:

Nick Lazaridis, EMEA boss at HP Inc, told The Register at the Canalys Channels Forum in Venice that Microsoft had confirmed there will be no further development work on the mobile OS.

It's dead, Jim.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, MSWindowsinside said:

Somewhat because of enthusiasts like me, but mostly because some companies love them for their easy deployment and servicing. Especially because most companies already run entirely on Windows anyways.

I recently installed windows to dual boot on my desktop and the last week I've been using it with my Lumia 850 the integration is actually very good.

I get texts on my pc and I can respond to them super cool.

I do worry about privacy but meh I'm only playing Minecraft and using photo shop so no Biggy. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I recently installed windows to dual boot on my desktop and the last week I've been using it with my Lumia 850 the integration is actually very good.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

18 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

*950 lol

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I agree with Ryan Vickers,  WP is still around because the current users prefer it for what ever reason.  As usual on these forums, we have a whole lot of people projecting their personal experience as if it explains something and objectifies everyone else's subjective preference.  

I personally prefer WP over Android and iphone.  Not only is the GUI to my personal preference but on a dollar per clunk graph Android quickly becomes expensive while WP starts performing like an iphone at half the price.

The other thing that is killing WP is that due to it's lack of market share manufactures are just not willing to invest in producing them.  Which leads to further reduction in market share and the trend spirals.   Apart from app support (which is a consequence of low market share more than anything) there is nothing intrinsically wrong with WP that makes it worse than the others. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

on a dollar per clunk graph Android quickly becomes expensive while WP starts performing like an iphone at half the price.

Why do people keep saying this? WP does not perform like an iPhone even if you get the best phone out.

Hell, just look at the browser scores posted above. My LG G4 completely destroys the 950 XL despite only having half the cores and a worse GPU.

It is only true if both of these two things are true:

1) You're talking about old phones from several years ago. Today even fairly low end Android phones performs well for most tasks. At least as well as the equivalent WP would perform.

2) You're talking about simple things like scrolling in a menu, and ignore things like how apps which needs high performance actually performs.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

The other thing that is killing WP is that due to it's lack of market share manufactures are just not willing to invest in producing them.  Which leads to further reduction in market share and the trend spirals.   Apart from app support (which is a consequence of low market share more than anything) there is nothing intrinsically wrong with WP that makes it worse than the others. 

I haven't used Windows Mobile for quite a while, but a few users on a forum I used to browse decided to gather up a list of things missing from Windows Phone 8 (the OS, not talking about third party apps) and the list was something like 100 to 150 things long. We're not talking about extremely niche things either. It was a lot of very basic things like "being able to charge the phone while it is turned off", "rotation lock", "support for notification light".

I am sure Microsoft has fixed a lot of them, but I doubt all of them are fixed. But anyway, I think a lot of the things on that list (trying to find it, it was on pastebin) did in fact make WP objectively worse than Android/iOS. Of course, there were some people who wasn't bothered by the missing features, but that's just some people weighting the drawbacks differently (which is fine).

Even now, Microsoft are very slow with updates for Windows Mobile. They have been behind at pretty much everything ever since WP7 was released.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I haven't used Windows Mobile for quite a while, but a few users on a forum I used to browse decided to gather up a list of things missing from Windows Phone 8 (the OS, not talking about third party apps) and the list was something like 100 to 150 things long. We're not talking about extremely niche things either. It was a lot of very basic things like "being able to charge the phone while it is turned off", "rotation lock", "support for notification light".

I am sure Microsoft has fixed a lot of them, but I doubt all of them are fixed. But anyway, I think a lot of the things on that list (trying to find it, it was on pastebin) did in fact make WP objectively worse than Android/iOS. Of course, there were some people who wasn't bothered by the missing features, but that's just some people weighting the drawbacks differently (which is fine).

Even now, Microsoft are very slow with updates for Windows Mobile. They have been behind at pretty much everything ever since WP7 was released.

So you are trying to argue my subjective experience is objectively wrong?

My win phone 10 (God rest it's soul) had no issues other than app support.   And it had an update only a few weeks before it died.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

So you are trying to argue my subjective experience is objectively wrong?

My win phone 10 (God rest it's soul) had no issues other than app support.   And it had an update only a few weeks before it died.  

I wouldn't say your subjective experience is objectively wrong, but what I am saying is that you can weight objective things differently to make up a subjective opinion.

Imagine it like this... Having 10 hours of screen-on time is objectively better than having 9 hours of screen-on time. But if you never run out of battery life during normal use with the 9 hours of screen-on time then you do not value that extra hour. 10 hours is objectively better than 9 hours, but you don't care.

That list (which I am still trying to find, but it seems like the pastebin might have expired) had objective facts in it. Maybe you don't care for USB OTG support, or being able to charge with the phone off, or being able to lock rotation, but plenty of people were/are. You might not have missed any features, or thought of things as issues, but others were. "You don't miss what you never had".

It would be interesting to see a new version of that list. I am sure Microsoft has fixed a lot of things, but I am confident that there are still a lot of things missing.

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wouldn't say your subjective experience is objectively wrong, but what I am saying is that you can weight objective things differently to make up a subjective opinion.

Imagine it like this... Having 10 hours of screen-on time is objectively better than having 9 hours of screen-on time. But if you never run out of battery life during normal use with the 9 hours of screen-on time then you do not value that extra hour. 10 hours is objectively better than 9 hours, but you don't care.

That list (which I am still trying to find, but it seems like the pastebin might have expired) had objective facts in it. Maybe you don't care for USB OTG support, or being able to charge with the phone off, or being able to lock rotation, but plenty of people were/are. You might not have missed any features, or thought of things as issues, but others were. "You don't miss what you never had".

It would be interesting to see a new version of that list. I am sure Microsoft has fixed a lot of things, but I am confident that there are still a lot of things missing.

Obviously there is a reason they only have 1% market share.  I don't doubt that for many people the app support alone is a killer.   But the fact that we still have people who like it and would prefer it over the other options is evidence that the OS is still more suited to some people.