Best way to clean a dusty PC?

VillaiNPC

Canned air and I use a tooth brush for the hard to reach places on the front "grill" on my case

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

Remove as many panels you can. 

Remove as many fans you can.

Buy a can of compressed air to deal with the actual PC.

Buy a multi-pack of microfiber cloths (the ones they use for car detailing) and clean the fans with them.

Maybe the heatsink needs a clean also (But only consider if you have termal paste to re-install)

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

6 minutes ago, VillaiNPC said:

what the title says

canned air would be ideal

but i personally use an air compressor

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, Vx0x said:

Or possibly something like a leaf blower

Probably not the best of ideas, as considering you can just get a can of compressed air for £1 in pound land it makes a bit more sense xD

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

I have a super dusty room, I clean my PC once a month. :$

My Gaming Rig: AMD Ryzen 5600x  |  Corsair H100i GTX  |  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming  |  32GB Samsung DDR4 3600MHz  |  ASUS RTX 3070 ROG Strix  |  WD Black 240GB NVMe  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 2TB Samsung Enterprise SSD  |  WD Black 1.5TB   |  3x NZXT Aer RGB 140MM  |  Seasonic Focus 750w   |  NZXT H500 Elite   |  Windows 10 Pro

My Home Server: AMD Ryzen 1400x  |  Gigabyte Aurora B550 Elite  |  32Gb Samsung DDR3 3200Mhz  |  HP RTX 2060 6GB  |  1TB Samsung 850 Pro  |  2x Seagate IronWolf Pro 18TB | 3x Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB |  2x WD Green 2TB  |  Corsair CX650m  | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows Server 2022

4 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Probably not the best of ideas, as considering you can just get a can of compressed air for £1 in pound land it makes a bit more sense xD

am i the only one who feels weird in paying money for air?
I normally use an air compressor at work, but have done it just with vacuums

4 minutes ago, Pickstock said:

I usually only use a vacuum if I can't see the heatsink or the motherboard xD

But yeah, buying compressed air is madness, try and use a compressor for free.

11 minutes ago, Pickstock said:

Yeah canned air is foreign for me. It's literally just air. I'd buy a cheap air compressor to get by, and then there you can pump up your car tires, bike tires... Get a rechargeable can haha

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Can of compressed air, they are generally cheap. I wouldnt recommend using an air compressor or anything that outputs high air pressure because you could potentially damage a component in your system. For cleaning the heatsink to remove the thermal paste, 99% Isopropyl alcohol is a good cleaning solution.

13 minutes ago, Pickstock said:

canada has been selling canned air for human consumption to china for some time. it started as a joke but the air is actually that bad over there. Theres also those crazy oxygen bars.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

you need homer simpson for that level of cake.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

Yeah canned air is foreign for me. It's literally just air. I'd buy a cheap air compressor to get by, and then there you can pump up your car tires, bike tires... Get a rechargeable can haha

I am thinking about making a small rechargeable thing out of a used fire extinguisher and a shroter (sp) valve. In case i cant be bothered disconnecting the computer and taking it out to the shed.
Or even use a cheap bike pump to charge it up.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

canada has been selling canned air for human consumption to china for some time. it started as a joke but the air is actually that bad over there. Theres also those crazy oxygen bars.

they do that from Tasmania in Australia, its meant to have some of the most un polluted air in the world.

@TheBeastPC, @BadluckBrian, @EnergyEclipse, @SeanAngelo, @KingCollins, @A Silver, @Vx0x. Please correct me if I am wrong, But I am fairly sure that the "canned air" you are all referring to is actually an organic solvent, not compressed air as you get from an air compressor. If you pull the trigger with the can upside down it comes out as a liquid.

This video shows what happens when the liquid from the can is tipped into water.

I think the solvent has the advantage of not causing static problems, but its quite expensive for me, around $10US a can. So I just use a vacuum cleaner.  I have never had any issues. But mind you, most of the dust in my PC gets caught in the radiator and dust filters.

32 minutes ago, Pickstock said:

I am thinking about making a small rechargeable thing out of a used fire extinguisher and a shroter (sp) valve. In case i cant be bothered disconnecting the computer and taking it out to the shed.
Or even use a cheap bike pump to charge it up.

Good idea. I might do something like that. Mind you I already have something that could be used for that purpose, but its more intended for launching pointed bits of metal at high velocity.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

54 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Good idea. I might do something like that. Mind you I already have something that could be used for that purpose, but its more intended for launching pointed bits of metal at high velocity.

you need the velocity and the volume.
My old man said that the fire extinguishers he has at work filled with water already have a valve on them for recharging with a normal air compressor.
Just need to get the water out of it and good to go.

2 hours ago, Pickstock said:

So vacuum time for this?

(pulled from a computer i got given to me for parts, unknown origin)

IMG_20170925_201615.jpg

IMG_20170925_201700.jpg

This really hurts to look at :(

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

If you are going to use an air compressor make sure of two things,

1) make sure it is grounded, the act of compressing air will generate static electricity. Back in the late '90s I blew up a couple of boards blowing them off with an ungrounded compressor when the tip touch the board and sparks ensued. 

2) use a compressor that you can control the output, a friend of mine (again in the late '90s) used an unregulated compressor to clean the insides of a seismograph and the d@mn thing was strong enough that it damaged some of the caps and stripped a few traces. The seismograph never worked again, now we got some really cool parts off of it including some killer magnets so it wasn't a complete loss but we were hoping for an actual seismograph.  

Power Washer. Will even take care of those pesky metal traces on PCB's. :P

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."