How power efficient are Snapdragon Processors compared to Mediatek

RealGamer

I got my first smartphone which is the Xperia M5 Dual, although I really liked it, but the battery drains very fast.

I know that it is because of the MediaTek CPU, because they were infamous for their power consumption and heat.

The Xperia XZ1/XZ1 Compact really caught my eye, and I am planning to get the XZ1 , but I am kinda worried about the 2700Mah battery.

Everyone seem to be very positive about the power consumption on Snapdragon processors.

I wish to know how power efficient they are in daily use, if it is not much better than Mediatek, I think I might go with the Compact version.

Why did they catch your eye?

Sony phones have been irrelevant for a while now.

Something Xiaomi would be good for a good battery life on the cheap.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Depends on the components of the SoC, the implementation, and the manufacturing process. The lowest power consuming chips tend to he the 8 core Cortex A53 designs, while high end chips tend to be quite hungry. If you need lots of battery, you may want to consider the Moto Z Play.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Snapdragon has the fame of battery efficiency, and uses it for marketing. Mediatek seams to produce cheaper stuff and maybe not so power efficient. 

33 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Why did they catch your eye?

Sony phones have been irrelevant for a while now.

Something Xiaomi would be good for a good battery life on the cheap.

Personal preference I guess, I am a long time Sony fan.

Yeah, Sony is irrelevant now, and they only had themselves to blame, always making stupid decisions.

Xiaomi is also in my list along with Huawei, Motorola. If the reviews about XZ1 is bad, I might have to choose the others.

36 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Depends on the components of the SoC, the implementation, and the manufacturing process. The lowest power consuming chips tend to he the 8 core Cortex A53 designs, while high end chips tend to be quite hungry. If you need lots of battery, you may want to consider the Moto Z Play.

Thanks for the info and recommendation 

36 minutes ago, IgorM said:

Snapdragon has the fame of battery efficiency, and uses it for marketing. Mediatek seams to produce cheaper stuff and maybe not so power efficient. 

Yeah, 9 out of 10 users in my region avoid using Mediatek powered phones. They are not as strong as Snapdragon or Exynos, but consume more power than its competitors.

26 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Eh, that phone's over a year old by now.

but yes, the snapdragon 600 series + stock android seems to be the best combo possible.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

24 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Eh, that phone's over a year old by now.

but yes, the snapdragon 600 series + stock android seems to be the best combo possible.

I would still take it, if it is not for the ram.

If you are only concerned about performance, power consumption, and efficiency Android is the wrong place to be looking xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, RealGamer said:

I would still take it, if it is not for the ram.

4GB is more than enough with stock android, and that's what stuff like the Motorola has.

Desktop:

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you are only concerned about performance, power consumption, and efficiency Android is the wrong place to be looking xD 

d5c.png

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

snip

Glorious xD 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

36 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

41 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sorry guys, but I-devices are not in my consideration.

So don't worry mom.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:50 PM, huilun02 said:

Explain

I'd very much get a Zenfone series phone if I wanted a Sony camera.

Right now I'd be looking at the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2. Xiaomi is heading in the right direction as far as hardware goes.

Yeah, decided to go for the Xiaomi Mi Note 3 (the only thing i hate about it is the lack of SD card support).

As for the explanation, I am a Sony fanboy, that's why. 

But their pricing are too high for the hardware they provide(and I am still a student that needs to pay loans).

I will stick with other brands for now and buy Sony when I get a job