8700k or 7700k. Yay of nay?

Joeganja
Go to solution Solved by TheDooz,

Id wait for the cores of the 8700k

I'm looking for a CPU. Should I wait for the 8700k and add two more cores and possibly a higher price point or just go with the 7700k?

INb4 everyone tells you to buy Ryzen.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8700k will require a new motherboard too. If you have already bought a motherboard, your choice is only the 7700k. Going for Ryzen at this point of time makes more sense, unless you decide to wait for Coffee Lake CPUs and supported motherboards to come out. Those will definitely have an upper hand in the majority of games.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Nope. Sorry. Intel 4 life. Ha. I've always used intel and I have many close friends that use intel and have tried AMD. Nothing against but I just feel like I know more about intel and I like what they have to offer. AMD I feel is more for enthusiasts where I feel intel is more of a professional based company. I know I will get backlash for saying that but it's how I feel.  I was looking at the 1900x as the only one I would be interested in but the clock speed is no where near intel. If someone would like to somehow convince me that more cores at a lower speed vs half the amount of cores at almost 15-20% higher clocks speeds is better feel free too. I won't be using this for doing multiple tasks like streaming and gaming at once while watching a movie. 

I would go with the Lake of Caffeine.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

3 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

8700k will require a new motherboard too. If you have already bought a motherboard, your choice is only the 7700k. Going for Ryzen at this point of time makes more sense, unless you decide to wait for Coffee Lake CPUs and supported motherboards to come out. Those will definitely have an upper hand in the majority of games.

I haven't bought motherboard yet. So far this is what I have. 

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

9561D846-261C-498E-A0BE-E3F506538A34.jpg

10 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

I'm looking for a CPU. Should I wait for the 8700k and add two more cores and possibly a higher price point or just go with the 7700k?

Wait for Coffee Lake 

1 minute ago, Joeganja said:

Nope. Sorry. Intel 4 life. Ha. I've always used intel and I have many close friends that use intel and have tried AMD. Nothing against but I just feel like I know more about intel and I like what they have to offer. AMD I feel is more for enthusiasts where I feel intel is more of a professional based company. I know I will get backlash for saying that but it's how I feel.  I was looking at the 1900x as the only one I would be interested in but the clock speed is no where near intel. If someone would like to somehow convince me that more cores at a lower speed vs half the amount of cores at almost 15-20% higher clocks speeds is better feel free too. I won't be using this for doing multiple tasks like streaming and gaming at once while watching a movie. 

I don't even know why would anyone fanboy, 1 should always go for what's the best, not for what brand it is!

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

9561D846-261C-498E-A0BE-E3F506538A34.jpg

REEEEEEEE Non-EVGA power supply, its good but I hate corsair for customer service reeeeeeee

If you dont want to buy amd and already brought case and stuff just buy the 7700k not worth waiting IMO.

5 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

Ughh, really? I haven't got one yet but that's going to mean an even longer wait...

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe AMD is faster than Intel I just want the best of the best for under $600. As far as the CPU. If someone can explain to me or give me a video link to why threadripper would even destroy the x series chips and would be better in the long run vs even the 7700k or 8700k for that matter feel free. I just want the best bang for my buck. More cores doesn't always mean better performance. 

3 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

AMD I feel is more for enthusiasts where I feel intel is more of a professional based company. I know I will get backlash for saying that but it's how I feel.

That's just wrong, AMD haven't had a competitive product for years until now, Intel has been and still kinda is #1 for enthusiasts and professionals for years now.

As for your question, I'd wait for the 8700k. 6 cores will start to become the norm now for higher end consumer chips, and paying almost the same price for 4 cores just isn't worth it.

18 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

So this is tech news or reviews?

16 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

Ryzen is better and cheaper my dude ryzen beats out that cpu 

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Why is this in the tech news section? >.>

same I am questioning it the same as you're friend 

Just now, Haeking said:

same I am questioning it the same as you're friend 

Well the 8700k is new? Sort of? Idk. My bad. 

I want the 8700k but if it's priced over £320 I will buy a R7 1700 or R5 1600, no point in spending double what a 1600 is worth for higher clock speed with IPC improvement, I can upgrade a 1600 to 7nm or Zen 2 also.

Well the 8700k is new? Sort of? Idk. My bad. 

but this isnt tech news regarding it, its asking if you should wait for it, which should go in the cpu section.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

13 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

If you're just gaming then go for Intel. At least at the high end. R5 beats i5 though.

If you're not in a rush wait for the 8700k. If you're itching to get going go for the 7700k.

12 minutes ago, Joeganja said:

-snip-

If you can I suggest you return the SSD. NVMe doesn't improve boot times or app launch times so it's pretty much a waste of money compared to an 850 evo. You could get a 500gb 850 evo for a similar price.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb