I need a desk

paps511

Bought a condo, and I need a new desk to put my computer on.

I have a 3440x1440 34" monitor so the desk needs to be able to fit that comfortably.

Max width is 66"

Thoughts?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

3 hours ago, paps511 said:

Bought a condo, and I need a new desk to put my computer on.

I have a 3440x1440 34" monitor so the desk needs to be able to fit that comfortably.

Max width is 66"

Thoughts?

A lot of youtubers go to Ikea and get a table top and legs. That might be the best route. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Depending on your level of handiness you could build your own and customize it completely to your liking. That's how I built mine. Mine wraps around in a large L. Plus there is storage underneath. (Ignore my cord mess, I keep changing things so it won't stay organized)

IMG_5329.JPG

ikea is the way to go for cheap desks, just keep in mind that the linnmon series will bow after a whil as they are basically just filled with carboard but still very sturdy. otherwise what ever will fit in the area you're looking for and what ever is in your budget.

also have a look at used office furniture places in your area, you can get used solid wooden desks for cheap(er), not ikea cheap but they won't be like the new $800 price tags

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

53 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

Put that shit on ur lap son u got ur self a very portable desk then. I put my mouse n keyboard on my lap when i didnt have a desk. Then my bro held the display for me. Gotta work with what you got

This method wont work if u dont got thicc thighs

You WILL regret typing this in the morning...

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

14 hours ago, ITOUTLAW said:

Depending on your level of handiness you could build your own and customize it completely to your liking. That's how I built mine. Mine wraps around in a large L. Plus there is storage underneath. (Ignore my cord mess, I keep changing things so it won't stay organized)

IMG_5329.JPG

That. Is. G L O R I O U S (minus the mac but I'll let it slide)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

That. Is. G L O R I O U S (minus the mac but I'll let it slide)

Thanks :) That's only half the desk, and it's inspired from my work setup....

1 minute ago, ITOUTLAW said:

Thanks :) That's only half the desk, and it's inspired from my work setup....

That's not just stained pine, it looks like a specific type of wood like mahogany but I cant tell what it is...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

That's not just stained pine, it looks like a specific type of wood like mahogany but I cant tell what it is...

Well... if you must know...the top of it is laminate flooring. The rest of it is from a coffee table that I built out of a pallet that I found by a dumpster....

Just now, ITOUTLAW said:

Well... if you must know...the top of it is laminate flooring. The rest of it is from a coffee table that I built out of a pallet that I found by a dumpster....

That explains the chip on the corner. Cheap but effective! It's hard to tell they're from two different sources. Well done!

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That explains the chip on the corner. Cheap but effective! It's hard to tell they're from two different sources. Well done!

Well thank you. it looks better in the picture than it does in person. Most things I make are an imitation of myself. Rough around the edges, needlessly complicated, and always a work in progress. xD

The IKEA top and desk legs people here mentioned:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/63380-the-easy-option-for-a-computer-desk/

I would personally recommend shopping on the used market as you can get some really good deals on great desk. It just depends on what you want? Corner desk? Extra drawers? How wide exactly? (Do you need to store a PC on there too for example)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you're handy and have tools, it's always convenient if you make a custom desk. I have an hvac duct in the corner of my room (the wall caves in inward 1'x1' in a corner) and I made a custom wall desk that wraps entirely around one wall with a tv wall mounted above / storage shelves etc.

Prior to this, I went on Craigslist / Kijiji & purchased second hand but in mint condition Ikea Linnmon / Alex / Adils table parts for like 1/2 the retail price. This requires a vehicle to transport stuff, and you'll probably have to drive a bit to get the best deal.