Switzerland got 1Gbit/s Internet!

Hi Guys,

I just saw some advertisements in CH from Swisscom (largest ISP, phone, TV etc provider) mentioning that they are launching 1Gb/s internet!

Have a look at their website (in English): http://giga.swisscom.ch/en

For long Switzerland was lagging behind our European neighbours with internet speeds, and so I really was NOT expecting this. So this is some great and mostly surprising news!

Dude if you think Europe is bad you should see the middle east, i have 10mb/s and i want 100 (max) but they never come and install it :(

Welcome to the twenty first century! :D

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

UK is getting 1Gb very soon as well :) I'm currently on 80Mb :P

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Lel 10 Mbps is the average here

same in italy :( 

Corsair C70|i7 3930K|Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz|Asrock x79 Extreme6|Samsung SSD 256GB|WD Green 3TB|Corsair H100i|Corsair TX750m |GTX 780 Palit Super JetStream (review here https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/54814-palit-gtx780-superjetstream-review/ )  -_-|

STILL LEARNING ENGLISH  :P  :P  :P

actually they are not installing that line till the rest of the country has at least 25mbs internet supposedly by 2016

Dude if you think Europe is bad you should see the middle east, i have 10mb/s and i want 100 (max) but they never come and install it  :(

I get like 3,7 Mbps....  :( 
But yeah that's because the only cable that runs to my house, is a telephone cable.....

actually they are not installing that line till the rest of the country has at least 25mbs internet supposedly by 2016

this is so important. you can have a provider with 1gb internet. USELESS if you don`t have metropolitan fiber network

Lithuanian here AMA.

Just kidding. I pay 8 eur for 50/50 and see no reason to upgrade. We already had 300mb/s here for a while and that is way overkill too.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3136957517 1000km~ distance

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Internet is so cheap in my country but they never upgrade it when you ask.

When i first moved here i had 1 mb/s and we wanted fiber optics installed, so we called and they said in a week (this was last year july) they came may this year :|

I'm getting 70 down in the UK at the moment and am in one of the most limited places to get fast internet in the UK.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I could get 1Gbit down and up, but it costs 1000€.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Some places in the UK already have 1Gb if you are willing to pay for it and are in a area where it can be provided by the limited number of ISP's.

BT need atleast 3 years minimum to provide 1Gb nationally since they are struggling to provide even 100Mb to most of there customers on the Infinity Network.

Virgin are about to start doing 150Mb, but they could also quite easily up that to 1Gb if there was a market need for it and it was justified but at the moment it isn't so they won't be doing it for I would say atleast 2 years.

Virgin did a trial giving people 1Gb connections on Fibre and found that most people, could only use around 400Mb really for legit reasons and anything above that was Torrents or Newsgroup downloads and uploads.

There really is no reason why as a residential customer you would need more than 200Mb, even if you stream etc from you pc at home to you laptop/tablet or phone whilst out and about the upload speed required for that is at max only going to be around the 10Mb mark.

If Virgin offered a free upgrade tomorrow to 1Gb I would take it but if I had to pay I wouldn't bother since I have no use for it.

Core I7 3930K 4.6ghz, Rampage IV Extreme, 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600mhz, GTX 780Ti SLI, Corsair Force 3 240Gb SSD, Asus Xonar DX, Killer Xeno Pro, Phobya Easy Bench V3, Phobya Extreme Nova 1080

BT has nearly gotten infinity across 80% of the UK. My area got it late last year, everyone I know is in a fibre optic enabled area.

System Specs:

What I have 1.5mb down.

Check your postcode on BT or Skys website... or Samknows.com and find out when or if your area has fibre or not :)

System Specs:

Old.

Had this in Sweden for years now.

Companies can even get 10 gigabit.

BT has nearly gotten infinity across 80% of the UK. My area got it late last year, everyone I know is in a fibre optic enabled area.

80% of the country is not true actually most places in the south or dorset area and mostly up north farm areas the countryside etc do not have even 10mbps by 2016 they are planning to have 98% of the country at 25mbps standard and then the 1gbp line will be installed.

80% of the country is not true actually most places in the south or dorset area and mostly up north farm areas the countryside etc do not have even 10mbps by 2016 they are planning to have 98% of the country at 25mbps standard and then the 1gbp line will be installed.

Well apparently my house can only get 40Mb and thats the highest it will ever go... They couldn't be more wrong :)

I bet it wont be long before your area gets fibre ;)

System Specs:

Well apparently my house can only get 40Mb and thats the highest it will ever go... They couldn't be more wrong :)

I bet it wont be long before your area gets fibre ;)

long the estimated date is 2015 I am on a border the figures you have been given are very wrong go and look at the project for internet for the UK there is more than 60% still to be done 

Time to move to Switzerland.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2