Switzerland got 1Gbit/s Internet!

Hi Guys,

I just saw some advertisements in CH from Swisscom (largest ISP, phone, TV etc provider) mentioning that they are launching 1Gb/s internet!

Have a look at their website (in English): http://giga.swisscom.ch/en

For long Switzerland was lagging behind our European neighbours with internet speeds, and so I really was NOT expecting this. So this is some great and mostly surprising news!

SwissCom are overpriced dipshits with horrible customer service. I'm using a 150 connection from UPC Cablecom and it's cheaper and more reliable.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

SwissCom are overpriced dipshits with horrible customer service. I'm using a 150 connection from UPC Cablecom and it's cheaper and more reliable.

+6, I'm using 1M/B from Swisscom but could get 35x more for the same money when i would switch to UPC Cablecom

I want it where I live!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

+6, I'm using 1M/B from Swisscom but could get 35x more for the same money when i would switch to UPC Cablecom

I can't wait to see the ludicrous price they'll make people pay, SwissCom throttles your internet A LOT when there's a lot of traffic.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

): Highest speed you can get here is 100 Mbps but it's very, very, veeery expesive... (That's why I'm paying over 70 €/month for 50 Mbit ._.)

wow i live in georgia. near russia you could hear about my country. i have 50 Mbit/s and it costs 10.85  €/month

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Always fun when it happends!

Here in Sweden you can basicly get 1gbits in every 40k+ ppl city for around 60€/month

I live in a small village with about 200 people, so highest i can get (which i got) is 100/100 mbits, for 35€/month

3139402489.png

I can get 500Mb fibre for 66 euro's here. Not sure what people would do with such speed, even for downloading that would be overkill. I'll stick to 60, good to know internet is still going forward though.

Well, I have 20Mbits with Swisscom, and I am using it quite hard. I have never had any throttling, only one outage that was due to a block wide power outage... And that one lasted for 2 hours. On the other hand side, my parents have got UPC, and it's total crap! So my experience with it is the opposite of yours... I agree on the pricing, there is no arguing about it, but I cannot say anything bad about Swisscom's service record...

I wish i had 1gbit internet :'( 

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

Well, I have 20Mbits with Swisscom, and I am using it quite hard. I have never had any throttling, only one outage that was due to a block wide power outage... And that one lasted for 2 hours. On the other hand side, my parents have got UPC, and it's total crap! So my experience with it is the opposite of yours... I agree on the pricing, there is no arguing about it, but I cannot say anything bad about Swisscom's service record...

i wasn't talking about their support or stability, i was just talking about how much you have to pay for swisscom when i could get the 35x more speed on upc for the same price.

I remember being on 56k dail up. Nothing is to fast.
I really wonder what everythings gonna be like in 10 - 20 years. How much faster CAN it all get?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Europe gets epic bandwidth but I hear your caps are treacherous. Is this true? I wouldn't trade my comparably 'slow' connection (60Mbps) for this if it has caps

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I have never experienced caps (in Ch) in home broadband. On mobile it depends, on my last contract I do not have caps...

Here in Singapore when they introduced fibre a few years ago the standard plan was 100mbps. Now we have 200 , 300 and now even 500 Mbps plans as standard. Smaller ISP were also launched, some have plans especially for gaming. Some even increase your speed for special days. We have had 1Gbps since the start but it was really expensive and still is. I wonder what we'll see in a few years to come

Here in Latvia we have 1gbit/s from october.

I have 250 Mbit/s up and down for about 21.73 EUR or 17.86 GBP or 29.31 USD

But 1 Gbit/s is for 70.59 EUR or 58.02 GBP or 95.22 USD

Hi Guys,

I just saw some advertisements in CH from Swisscom (largest ISP, phone, TV etc provider) mentioning that they are launching 1Gb/s internet!

Have a look at their website (in English): http://giga.swisscom.ch/en

For long Switzerland was lagging behind our European neighbours with internet speeds, and so I really was NOT expecting this. So this is some great and mostly surprising news!

YAY xD Except I live in the mountains.... don't think it's going to happen for me ;)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Pff, Casuals.

The average speed you'll find here is <1 Mbps. And even that is rare, and expensive. 

Ours is about $85