Good place to start with OSX

Now that my PC can basically do all the things I want it to, I want to try out Apple's Operating system. I really like the idea of a powerful desktop for gaming and a very sleek, minimalist, and "walled garden" experience for writing and business applications. To that end, I've found a 15" Macbook Pro i5 for $300. I believe it has a dual core 520 that boosts to 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and 500 hdd. Honestly, the only thing I want to replace is the HDD and maybe battery and I think this device will be able to navigate the OS very smoothly. Since I've heard many people say that newer Macbook Pros are just thinner, slightly more powerful, do you think I made a wise choice?

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Apple[IPhone SE] [Imac 21.5 dual core 3 Gghz][Time Capsule 3TB]

Linux[Several laptops]

8 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

Now that my PC can basically do all the things I want it to, I want to try out Apple's Operating system. I really like the idea of a powerful desktop for gaming and a very sleek, minimalist, and "walled garden" experience for writing and business applications. To that end, I've found a 15" Macbook Pro i5 for $300. I believe it has a dual core 520 that boosts to 3.1, 8gb ddr3, and 500 hdd. Honestly, the only thing I want to replace is the HDD and maybe battery and I think this device will be able to navigate the OS very smoothly. Since I've heard many people say that newer Macbook Pros are just thinner, slightly more powerful, do you think I made a wise choice?

why not run in a VM to see if you like it before getting one? VMBox and HyperV if your a pro user

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

Newer mac are in essence the same but with slightly better processors thinner but with less ports so buying an old one for cheap is a better idea

However I'd just vm it personally since it costs nothing

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

VM-ing it is a good way to test out OSX. Just be sure you're running the VM on the MacBook Pro or another piece of Apple Hardware for legal reasons.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'd get it. I've had a Mac Mini for a short while, and OSX is fairly zippy on hardware that Windows or Ubuntu would be a tad sluggish on.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

15 minutes ago, kirashi said:

VM-ing it is a good way to test out OSX. Just be sure you're running the VM on the MacBook Pro or another piece of Apple Hardware for legal reasons.

Uhh... if he's running the VM on a MacBook, then what's the point? 

To OP: Don't worry about legal stuff. Apple doesn't care.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Uhh... if he's running the VM on a MacBook, then what's the point? 

To OP: Don't worry about legal stuff. Apple doesn't care.

Talking about running OSX on non-Apple hardware is against the Forum CoC, that's all. What you do in your own time offline is totally up to you though, so run all the OS's on all the VM's on any hardware you like. :P Just keep it a secret.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I would like to point out that OSX VM ideas aren't a full proof way to test out OSX, here's why:

Some versions of OSX have EULAs that constitute VM installations as hackintoshing, even within OSX on Apple hardware

OSX doesn't always play nicely with VM software.

You need to have access to something with OSX to get OSX, and taking a thumb drive to an Apple store is a good bit more risky than just spending $300 on a laptop that is still performing where $600 laptops today are at, if we're being generous to today's laptops.

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Talking about running OSX on non-Apple hardware is against the Forum CoC, that's all. What you do in your own time offline is totally up to you though, so run all the OS's on all the VM's on any hardware you like. :P Just keep it a secret.

Technically, talking about hackintoshes in detail and anything that can be perceived as helping one set them up or maintain them is against CoC. We're free to discuss if we have them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

I'm really not interested in emulation or anything like that, if I want Windows, I'll just use Bootcamp, I want this Mac for convenience purposes as a high build quality, low software maintenance machine!  

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Linux[Several laptops]

I guess its down to how much you want to spend. If you want a laptop or another computer then go ahead, if you don't I would find another HDD/SSD and head over to the tonymacx86 website.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Are you trying to get a new macbook? If you are, just get yourself a new laptop.

Or you just want an entry level mac to get used to macOS. If this is what you are meant to do, then I recommend one of this 2 option: 

1. Get a 2012 mac mini. A one that you can open up easily and install a SSD in it. 
  2. Get a 2012 macbook pro. Same, when you have it open it up and install a SSD in it. 

I remembered the 1st time I used a mac I hated it. lol. 

Fast forward a few years, once I stopped gaming, I started to use macOS more frequently. 

And now I am a full time mac user. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

23 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Newer mac are in essence the same but with slightly better processors thinner but with less ports so buying an old one for cheap is a better idea

An i5-7360u is quite a bit faster than an i5-520. Year-to-year they don't see massive performance gains as Intel hasn't been offering large improvements, however the aggregate of Intel's minor IPC bumps over many generations has lead to a sizable performance delta. And that's just the CPU side of things, the display is also significantly better (going from 1280x800 to 2560x1600) and with much more vivid and accurate colors. As is the GPU -- Iris Plus 640 is significantly faster than HD3000.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Are you trying to get a new macbook? If you are, just get yourself a new laptop.

Or you just want an entry level mac to get used to macOS. If this is what you are meant to do, then I recommend one of this 2 option: 

1. Get a 2012 mac mini. A one that you can open up easily and install a SSD in it. 
  2. Get a 2012 macbook pro. Same, when you have it open it up and install a SSD in it. 

I remembered the 1st time I used a mac I hated it. lol. 

Fast forward a few years, once I stopped gaming, I started to use macOS more frequently. 

And now I am a full time mac user. 

I went for the 2010, only difference is i5 2520m v 520m, which I don't think will be a huge dealbreaker for performance with slightly higher L2 cache and 100mhz bump. I got a great deal on it for $300.

Linux[Several laptops]

16 minutes ago, SammyGoad said:

I went for the 2010, only difference is i5 2520m v 520m, which I don't think will be a huge dealbreaker for performance with slightly higher L2 cache and 100mhz bump. I got a great deal on it for $300.

The frequency bump is irrelevant, however, the 2520 is decently faster as Sandy Bridge had a pretty nice IPC bump.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The frequency bump is irrelevant, however, the 2520 is decently faster as Sandy Bridge had a pretty nice IPC bump.

I had a Lenovo Laptop with the same processor(520m) and before some punk who is now in jail stole it, it did every thing I could ask of a laptop including streaming 4k video and steam streaming service. 

Linux[Several laptops]

3 hours ago, SammyGoad said:

I was afraid that the 2010s won't get as many update as the 2012 ones. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.