Is mac really better than windows?

Hello forum members! Newbie here.

I purchased an ASUS Zenbook Ux305 2 years ago primarily for university purposes and other light tasks. I came from an old 2012 Macbook pro which had my expectations set higher based on my old usage (i.e. gesture usage, common MacOS commands). I made the switch because the internet and some peers convinced me that the UX305 is better than the 2015 Macbook 12 inch.

2.5 years later, I'm stuck with a ton of headaches with my current laptop.

- Touchpad unresponsiveness and input lag

- Windows 10 scaling problems (on a 1080p screen??? Seriously??)

- Wifi connectivity issues 

- Graphics adapter failures (the error "the graphics driver unexpectedly stopped bla bla bla")

- HUGE thermal throttling even at low end tasks like MS word, excel

- Chrome, Edge, Firefox or any browser does not work properly with my device (it always lags when facebook is on)

Some SOP's I employ are:

CCleaner (Clean and Registry clean)

Windows Defender scans every week

Updating my device drivers regularly

Regular shutdown and restarting 

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise, I might just buy the new Macbook Pro 13 in non touchbar just to end my agony

P.S. I've never had any issues with my old 2012 MBP, I just had to give it to my brother who was taking care of the family business. TBH it still works a lot better until now (with a few upgrades) as compared to the UX305. *sigh*

3 minutes ago, louis21ong said:

- Graphics adapter failures (the error "the graphics driver unexpectedly stopped bla bla bla")

- Chrome, Edge, Firefox or any browser does not work properly with my device (it always lags when facebook is on)

Things you do not have to deal with on a Macintosh

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, louis21ong said:

I purchased an ASUS Zenbook Ux305 2 years ago primarily for university purposes and other light tasks. I came from an old 2012 Macbook pro which had my expectations set higher based on my old usage (i.e. gesture usage, common MacOS commands). I made the switch because the internet and some peers convinced me that the UX305 is better than the 2015 Macbook 12 inch.

Some SOP's I employ are:

Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise, I might just buy the new Macbook Pro 13 in non touchbar just to end my agony

P.S. I've never had any issues with my old 2012 MBP, I just had to give it to my brother who was taking care of the family business. TBH it still works a lot better until now (with a few upgrades) as compared to the UX305. *sigh*

It's easier to infect yourself with a PC than a MAC. Good point is a PC you can just format sometimes with MAC you're fucked if infected.

I suggest just format re-install windows...

By the way, windows defender is the most shitty anti-virus ever. It doesn't stop much.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Things you do not have to deal with on a Macintosh

I don't want to sound like a Mac fanboy but I agree with you on that.

2 minutes ago, louis21ong said:

That's what happens when you trust your peers instead of asking for advice on tech forums. ASUS products tend to be subpar and rushed. You should have gone with something else.

Also macs are not better than windows. Neither is linux. It's the whole "if you learn everything about it and set it up to your personalized specifications" thing that gives the illusion of superior efficiency. It's why people recommend crappy things generally without realizing how crappy it is from a non-user's perspective.

2 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

It's easier to infect yourself with a PC than a MAC. Good point is a PC you can just format sometimes with MAC you're fucked if infected.

By the way, windows defender is the most shitty anti-virus ever. It doesn't stop much.

Who says you can't reformat a Mac? I've done it a lot of times. Also, Windows Defender is enough. Haven't been infected ever since

Just now, louis21ong said:

Who says you can't reformat a Mac? I've done it a lot of times. Also, Windows Defender is enough. Haven't been infected ever since

Didn't say you can't format.

Also, win defender is the worst of all anti virus easily. Check out for google reviews etc..

Just use avast or avira or avg, free anti viruses that are way better than win D

Anyway, personnaly, i don't even use anti virus :P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Didn't say you can't format.

Also, win defender is the worst of all anti virus easily. Check out for google reviews etc..

Just use avast or avira or avg, free anti viruses that are way better than win D

Anyway, personnaly, i don't even use anti virus :P 

So how would installing an anti virus would help solve my problem then......

So how would installing an anti virus would help solve my problem then......

Me and you are not the same user. Anti virus only help stop users infect themself. I never infect myself :P 

I'm not saying you did, but it looks like, also, always good to format every 1-2 year for maximum performance. It will clearly make a huge difference. Also, if you never formatted your laptop, all laptops comes with bunch of useless applications that start on boot, which slows a lot the machine.

I always format any laptop I buy right away instead of using their shitty image.

What version of windows are you using?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

15 minutes ago, louis21ong said:

Some SOP's I employ are:

Honestly most of these issues ( if hardware is fine ) looks like OS infected or shitty image, bad drivers, corrupted etc... which in fact, why in my opinion is why MAC OS very good, its very user friendly and manages everything by itself. That being said, I suggest to format and install drivers and see if issues are gone. Also, try to get anti virus like avira or avast instead of win D.

Nope.

Windows has more indiscriminate malware in the wild.

Mac has more sophisticated malware that can be harder to detect.

GUI wise, neither are better than the other. Though it's a bit easier to modify Windows to your needs.

Software wise, Windies has far more games, and more options fkr many softwares, but Mac alternatives are usually just as good.

As of right now, Apple has some of the best Ultrabooks, with Dell XPS and Surface Pro/Book products being on par with build quality, and spec (bar the 15"MBP). Otherwise, ultrabooks have a tendency to be pretty shitty.

Your friends convinced you to get a shit Windows laptop.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Using macOS is different than Windows, but those things don't necessarily make it better.

In many ways, OSX and Windows 7 and 10 (tablet mode barred), aren't that different for casual use. I find Ubuntu to be a bit further removed from Wi dows than OSX is.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

And some of your concerns are hardware related, not necessarily related to using Windows.

Most Windows issues usually are, as far as I've seen.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I feel like it depends on your preference. IOS was created for visual learners, while Windows was created for technical peeps. I personally hop back and forth. I used to own a 2013 Macbook pro, and I began to have issues with it. My Adobe programs started to lag and it used to freeze when I woke it up (I only had it for 3 or so years too and I paid almost 3 grand for it). I got rid of it and got a Lenovo y700 for the classroom (use my desktop when I'm at home), and it absolutely crushes my old Macbook in the Adobe programs and general performance

I say that you just have to be smart when your using a PC. While you don't have those concerns with a Mac, there are weird things that happen on Macs...

I say its all about preference

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Me and you are not the same user. Anti virus only help stop users infect themself. I never infect myself :P 

I'm not saying you did, but it looks like, also, always good to format every 1-2 year for maximum performance. It will clearly make a huge difference. Also, if you never formatted your laptop, all laptops comes with bunch of useless applications that start on boot, which slows a lot the machine.

I always format any laptop I buy right away instead of using their shitty image.

So you assume I don't know how to disable startup apps, remove bloatware, and infect myself with a lot of viruses??? Not all forum newbies are idiots my friend. Also, reformatting every 1-2 years is very ineffecient. Why would you buy a laptop that needs to be reformatted just to get "maximum performance"???

14 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

A Mac is still a PC... 

Have you tried a complete reinstall of Windows? Please don't use registry cleaners, they make problems worse but never solve them. The latest Windows 10 update fixes a huge amount of scaling issues. You should do a reinstall of the creators update and see if you still have so many issues.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

What version of windows are you using?

Latest Windows 10 Home edition. I forgot the build number tho

So you assume I don't know how to disable startup apps, remove bloatware, and infect myself with a lot of viruses??? Not all forum newbies are idiots my friend. Also, reformatting every 1-2 years is very ineffecient. Why would you buy a laptop that needs to be reformatted just to get "maximum performance"???

Was assuming that yes. So then for users that easily infect themself or corrupt windows etc... a format is helpful lol

If not then, maybe hardware related. Was just trying to help no offense my friend :) 

Latest Windows 10 Home edition. I forgot the build number tho

Just format reinstall and see if you still have issues

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

A Mac is still a PC... 

:P 

2 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

Have you tried a complete reinstall of Windows? Please don't use registry cleaners, they make problems worse but never solve them. The latest Windows 10 update fixes a huge amount of scaling issues. You should do a reinstall of the creators update and see if you still have so many issues.

I haven't tried a full reinstall yet. I might try it as a last resort once all options are exhausted. 

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Was assuming that yes. So then for users that easily infect themself or corrupt windows etc... a format is helpful lol

I literally cannot understand what you're talking about. Corrupt windows?? lol

1 minute ago, louis21ong said:

I literally cannot understand what you're talking about. Corrupt windows?? lol

By using excessive Ccleaner per example ;) 

Just format. Even if you didn't infect yourself :P