Thinking about switching to android, thoughts?

CasualGamer...

Hello all. I am really thinking about switching to android with the galaxy s8. I have always used ios, ever since the iphone 3g, and I currently use an iphone 6s plus as my daily driver. My iphone is great, but the galaxy s8 looks awesome and I really would like to buy one, but I am not sure if android is right for me. So I came here for your opinion, how does android compare to ios? How is battery life compared to ios? Does android run smoothly for the most part, or does it stutter and freeze? I just appreciate a seamless experience on my devices, and I have never used an android device before, so I am not sure what the experience is like. 

2 minutes ago, CasualGamer... said:

How is battery life compared to ios?

Infinitly better.

Does android run smoothly for the most part, or does it stutter and freeze?

Yes it runs fine

3 minutes ago, CasualGamer... said:

I just appreciate a seamless experience on my devices,

It;s possible but it requires more setup time and you need a different app for pretty much anything you want to do.

Unless for some reason you need Android for something the 6s is a perfectly adequate phone and I woudn't pay another grand for a S8 if your already intergrated into apple because you'll need to re buy apps and stuff.If you really want a new phone I would wait for the iphone 8

My life

why dont you go to a phone kiosk somewhere and actually try an android device

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Infinitly better.

battery has to do with usage , not to mention there are 100's of different android phones , so a blanket statement of "better" is incorrect

3 hours ago, emosun said:

why dont you go to a phone kiosk somewhere and actually try an android device

I actually have, but not for a long enough time to really get a feel of it.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

battery has to do with usage , not to mention there are 100's of different android phones , so a blanket statement of "better" is incorrect

I mean like compared to the S8 which is what the op plans to buy

My life

Just now, CasualGamer... said:

I actually have, but not for a long enough time to really get a feel of it.

well theres no time limit you're allowed to play with it , so go back and see if it works smoothy and you like it

3 hours ago, emosun said:

well theres no time limit you're allowed to play with it , so go back and see if it works smoothy and you like it

I plan on going and doing just that, but I just want to hear from android users on how android feels

android is great, untill your phone becomes obsolete and doesn't receive updates from OEM anymore and it dies slowly. One thing i like about apple. Everything gets updated

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

13 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Infinitly better.

Numbers please

The iPhone 8 is being announced in September, you would be a fool to buy the S8 which is basically an S7 with a pretty face without waiting for Apples response. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, Himommies said:

Unless for some reason you need Android for something the 6s is a perfectly adequate phone and I woudn't pay another grand for a S8 if your already intergrated into apple because you'll need to re buy apps and stuff.If you really want a new phone I would wait for the iphone 8

Well said, I honestly am not all that exited about iphone 8, simply due to the projected price. 1000+ dollars is a whole lot to spend on a phone.

I honestly am not all that exited about iphone 8

There might be a 7s as well which should occupy the current price points. The S8 is just as expensive as the iPhone now. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

There might be a 7s as well which should occupy the current price points. The S8 is just as expensive as the iPhone now. 

If there is a 7s, I may consider it if it has some nice features. 

Functionally speaking (from a software standpoint), I find Android to focus more on functionality, versatility (Different OEM skins as an example) and efficiency of the UI, while iOS is virtually unmatched in attention to detail and utilization of underlying hardware resources. Both have come far enough to where it is difficult to determine a clear winner based on the merits of the respective OSs alone.

Cross platform apps and games tend to be of a somewhat lower quality on Android than what you can find for iOS. However, Android has very good support for emulation software. Assuming you can tolerate touchscreen mapped controls (or stick to RPGs), the game library suddenly opens up massively. If you want anything that pushes visuals though, Android has been a bit of a disappointment.

For updates, you'd probably be better waiting for the next Pixel phone. In fact, that might be preferable anyway if you want to see the best of Android.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, CasualGamer... said:

If there is a 7s, I may consider it if it has some nice features. 

we will know in a month

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Functionally speaking (from a software standpoint), I find Android to focus more on functionality, versatility (Different OEM skins as an example) and efficiency of the UI, while iOS is virtually unmatched in attention to detail and utilization of underlying hardware resources. Both have come far enough to where it is difficult to determine a clear winner based on the merits of the respective OSs alone.

Cross platform apps and games tend to be of a somewhat lower quality on Android than what you can find for iOS. However, Android has very good support for emulation software. Assuming you can tolerate touchscreen mapped controls (or stick to RPGs), the game library suddenly opens up massively. If you want anything that pushes visuals though, Android has been a bit of a disappointment.

For updates, you'd probably be better waiting for the next Pixel phone. In fact, that might be preferable anyway.

I can actually get behind this

Wait for the pixel successor before making your decision if you are getting android  

3 hours ago, Mi26 said:

Wait for the pixel successor before making your decision if you are getting android  

Sounds good, some concepts look really nice.

If you value OS updates, Samsung is towards the bottom. Took them forever just to get Android 7 lol

Bixby is also hit or miss. I'd wait for the Pixel 2 before dropping dosh.

Android is a powerful tool with a spiky handle. It has many more features than iOS but the experience of Android varies greatly among the different Android devices. Overall, iOS has a better user experience than most Android versions.

For $1000, [I'd] stick to iOS. Seems to have less issues when trying to set up an ecosystem and if you ever upgrade, you'll know that you're being upgraded rather than spending another wad of cash for a clock speed bump and a lesser battery. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Battery life isn't really something you can compare since it's wildly different depending on the phone you get. You can have battery life that absolutely crushes the iPhone, or something that isn't anywhere close and will die after a few hours of heavy use. If you get a flagship, and do your research, you'll get a great device. Even some of the mid rangers still have extremely solid performance depending on what you use your phone for.

Personally, I love Android. It has very deep customization, and I like having a wider range of devices to choose from. 

I'm not stuck with what one company deems "best".

35 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I mean like compared to the S8 which is what the op plans to buy

The S8 isn't drastically better than the iPhone 7 though...it can actually be significantly worse.

28 minutes ago, Goodman2265 said:

android is great, untill your phone becomes obsolete and doesn't receive updates from OEM anymore and it dies slowly. One thing i like about apple. Everything gets updated

Doesn't always work though, I've had quite a few friends have their devices crippled by Apples updates.

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The iPhone 8 is being announced in September, you would be a fool to buy the S8 which is basically an S7 with a pretty face without waiting for Apples response. 

The S8 is quite a bit different than the S7.

3 minutes ago, CasualGamer... said:

Sounds good, some concepts look really nice.

Don't wait for 'the next great device'. Android phones are staggered throughout the year, and you'll end up never buying anything.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

For $1000, [I'd] stick to iOS. Seems to have less issues when trying to set up an ecosystem and if you ever upgrade, you'll know that you're being upgraded rather than spending another wad of cash for a clock speed bump and a lesser battery. 

....missing the /s? That's basically exactly what every S model is, and even the 6 to the 7 wasn't a huge difference.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I may just stick with ios, and upgrade when I am really impressed by a new iphone, maybe the iphone 8, if its not 1300$ or something like that

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

....missing the /s? That's basically exactly what every S model is, and even the 6 to the 7 wasn't a huge difference.

I went from 4 to SE and it was a grand improvement for me. The 7 has the much faster SSD vs the slower 6, IIRC. I'm still waiting for the 8 to upgrade. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I went from 4 to SE and it was a grand improvement for me. The 7 has the much faster SSD vs the slower 6, IIRC. I'm still waiting for the 8 to upgrade. 

It's rather misleading to imply that an Android phone wouldn't see similar improvements over a 6 year span, or even year to year. There's a lot more going on than simple speed bumps.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red