Why is Algae in your loop bad?

So everybody says that algae is bad for your cooling loop, but I've never been given an actual reason why.
Also, I thought that not all algae was bad?

In relation to this I am a HS student looking into Bio luminescent Algae as a neat lighting source for a loop.
it is just a thought, and i am mainly here for the info about the algae having negative effects in loops.

1 minute ago, omfgitscrazy said:

So everybody says that algae is bad for your cooling loop, but I've never been given an actual reason why.
Also, I thought that not all algae was bad?

In relation to this I am a HS student looking into Bio luminescent Algae as a neat lighting source for a loop.
it is just a thought, and i am mainly here for the info about the algae having negative effects in loops.

It basically can clog your loop and hampers cooling potential by having a film coating your waterblocks and surfaces. If serve enough it can cause issues with the pump and blocks. 

It will clog up the heat sink that the coolant is flowing through, like the finned cold plate for the CPU. It will clog and you will overheat.

Ok, makes sense, so would it also cause corrosion?

How much of a temperature issue are we talking?

Just now, omfgitscrazy said:

ok, makes sense, so would it also cause corrosion?

No....

It would clog up your loop.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

ok, makes sense, so would it also cause corrosion?

Usually no since it's just bacterial growth unless it's something that can consume or damage the metal in the loop. 

So, as it would clog my loop, would it be possible to control the growth of the algae in the system, but still allows the algae to grow and die at the same rate, ultimately keeping the algae in your system from building up too much and causing a clog?

9 minutes ago, omfgitscrazy said:

That would be a fascinating build idea! Maybe with a mineral build somehow, like the one Luke did that was fishtank themed? 

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

That would be a fascinating build idea! Maybe with a mineral build somehow, like the one Luke did that was fishtank themed? 

Ye, that's kind of what inspired this, but ...

So, as it would clog my loop, would it be possible to control the growth of the algae in the system, but still allows the algae to grow and die at the same rate, ultimately keeping the algae in your system from building up too much and causing a clog?

Possibly, but I would imagine this would require careful monitoring of the environment in the loop to maintain optimal conditions. Especially considering that the temperature of the water is constantly changing.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Possibly, but I would imagine this would require careful monitoring of the environment in the loop to maintain optimal conditions. Especially considering that the temperature of the water is constantly changing.

Ye, that's kind of what i had figured. I think it will probably require a lot of testing. i would have to probably test the growth rate and how it is affected by temperature. if it isn't a big difference, it may be possible

Ye, that's kind of what i had figured. I think it will probably require a lot of testing. i would have to probably test the growth rate and how it is affected by temperature. if it isn't a big difference, it may be possible

As to answer your question to a bioluminescent glow effect, there are dyes and UV effect fluids which would alleviate the problem of having bacteria from clogging the loop. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

As to answer your question to a bioluminescent glow effect, there are dyes and UV effect fluids which would alleviate the problem of having bacteria from clogging the loop. 

ye, but some of those start to fade, and they're usually consistent throughout the loop, this would be more random, and would hopefully cause an effect like this bioluminescent-plankton.jpg

You do not want living stuff inside a computer watercooling loop.

Not only does it look disgusting, clog your waterblocks, and contaminate the fluid with biomatter, but it probably also eats away at the nickel plating and other metals of the loop by increasing the pH level of the fluid.

If you want it to glow, use UV fluid and UV lighting, or the thermaltake LED fittings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

ye, but some of those start to fade, and they're usually consistent throughout the loop, this would be more random, and would hopefully cause an effect like this 

Most are pretty good thsese days in terms of longevity but it would be harder to get a fluidity type look where it would glow in certain areas. You might be able to get a similar look with UV dye with Mayhems Auroa. 

Assuming the algae survives the constantly changing levels of heat, it's certainly going to impact cooling performance over time.

If you really want lighting in the case, there's better ways to do it than to introduce living organisms into the loop.

---

2 hours ago, omfgitscrazy said:

-snip-

I hope you don't mean to grow P. fusiformis, that would be an insta-clog on your CPU block. A supremacy block I believe has micro fins that are 250 micrometers spaced apart. A standard P. fusiformis is about 1000 x 150 x 350 microns, so has no chance of squeezing past of the CPU block unless if it aligns perfectly down the channels, meaning:

1. The cells will die of shear stress

2. The CPU block will clog

3. Bad day for your pump and temps 

Thanks everyone for the help and feedback, it is really appreciated.