• Vmware
    • Virtualbox
    • Hyper-V
  2. 2. Do u like ur hypervisor

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

Done

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

For the most part, Hyper-V is adequate for what I use my Linux VMs for. But I'd like it if Hyper-V could allocate multiple physical cores, and passing through GPUs was easy on the few Windows versions that even support it.

You should also make the poll multiple choice, as a few of us might use VMs with different host operating systems. Especially as Hyper-V is Windows exclusive. I'm one of few, but I also use Ubuntu and OSX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

No multi choose on the hypervisors?

Yeah, I deal with more than one.

These the ones I deal with:

VirtualBox (on home computer)

VMware and ESXi at my drill weekends.    Sometimes you want to strangle the bugger who set it up.  :P   More specifically the dumb nugget who decides heck one thread good enough for a server.  ....I really want to strangle that one.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 minute ago, Ithanul said:

No multi choose on the hypervisors?

Yeah, I deal with more than one.

These the ones I deal with:

VirtualBox (on home computer)

VMware and ESXi at my drill weekends.    Sometimes you want to strangle the bugger who set it up.  :P 

cant change pole once it is started 

I forgot about Kernal Virtual Machines. There's really two main options for those:

UnRAID

Generic KVM utilities on desktop Linux distros.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I love my ESXi, Why would I use something I didn't like after all. I am a bit confused as to why VMWare is there on it's own, a bit of a redundant option when ESXi and Workstation are basically the two options. 

Yours faithfully

7 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

More specifically the dumb nugget who decides heck one thread good enough for a server.  ....I really want to strangle that one.

I consulted a school a few weeks back, standard DC replication.. Both running slow... 1 core... Naughty IT admin who got a slap on the wrist! Something as stupid as that, didn't surprise me if they had 2 DC's on the same vm host... lool

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Using KVM at my local hackerspace, which I have to say astonishing good performance and hasn't failed me once.

Also I like the concept of nested virtualization, although then you will loose a LOT of performance on the additional layer.

No backup, no pity

Located at CET/CEST   ||   not a native english speaker

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Why would I use something I didn't like after all.

Work.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Work.

Then that isn't really you using it, that's your work using it, you're just tagging along. I wouldn't use anything other than ESXi because

1; It's what I know best and there is no point using something I don't know how to use

2; Its the one I prefer, it does all I want from it (well, not the free one but I manage) so I wouldn't use another one, installing crap on servers is already a fap as is haha. 

I'm sure there are people who's work uses something they don't like, without an express clarification from the question, we can only lightly paw at the question. Perhaps the question should be broken up more with the "for work" and "for fun/other reasons users" separate. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

All - Meh. Does the job. Better than having a thousand real machines.

True. I got myself an actual server. Converted all my physical servers into VMs. 

Running 4 VMs on one physical server. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, BSpendlove said:

I consulted a school a few weeks back, standard DC replication.. Both running slow... 1 core... Naughty IT admin who got a slap on the wrist! Something as stupid as that, didn't surprise me if they had 2 DC's on the same vm host... lool

Yeah, what was bad.  All the virtual servers where running on one thread.

....Ever try to work a Exchange with one thread....lag, lag, lag, lag.  Talk about just wanting to find the peeps who push the image down and ask "Why!?".  And, these are individuals being paid six figures.  I just shake my head at times.

Want to talk about wack, our unit was helping the police station research a new server for them and the fire department.  They let us look at their server.  O god, it was super bad.  Poor thing was overloaded with VMs way past what the CPUs could handle (old OSes too).  No redundancy too.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

You forgot one, Xencenter :P

I use a load of them for work (ESXi,Hyper-V and Xencenter). I just recently moved from ESXi to Hyper-V for my home server.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Vmware player/workstation(used Virtualbox before as well) and Meh.

Wish there was one that could truly share the resources from the host, especially the GPU, without lag or through emulation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've always used VirtualBox, and it has always worked for me.

At my last job we used VMware and it was really good, currently using Virtualbox as we don't do as much VM's anymore and are moving more to hosted servers so just a nice RDP connection and a phone call to get things running. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Vmware player/workstation(used Virtualbox before as well) and Meh.

Wish there was one that could truly share the resources from the host, especially the GPU, without lag or through emulation.

you can use unraid

that worked well for me 

4 hours ago, _Dr_Eye_ said:

you can use unraid

that worked well for me 

Does unraid allow me to have the Linux "host" always present in the background while opening a Windows VM within it? Because if it's a complete "switch to other OS" kind of deal without much possibility to interact with each other, I might as well just reboot the PC and use the bootloader to switch from windows to Linux at that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 hours ago, Altecice said:

You forgot one, Xencenter :P

It's XenServer ^^

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Does unraid allow me to have the Linux "host" always present in the background while opening a Windows VM within it? Because if it's a complete "switch to other OS" kind of deal without much possibility to interact with each other, I might as well just reboot the PC and use the bootloader to switch from windows to Linux at that point.

UnRAID operates while any and all guest operating systems are online. But UnRAID is an OS specifically for NAS and KVM.

Many Linux distrobutions can do KVM, they just require a bit more work.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

On 22/08/2017 at 6:47 PM, CatBoiler said:

It's XenServer ^^

Derp my bad, The management is called XenCenter :o

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just now, Altecice said:

Derp my bad, The management is called XenCenter :o

Yep :P I'm using XenOrchestra these days instead of XenCenter tho

• 2 weeks later...