How many cores does a minecraft server use efficiently

Just wondering what those big servers with 200+ Players are being run on. On the wiki it says minecraft supports multiple cores, but how many? I've heard it only takes advantage of 3 but others say it can take up as many as you throw at it. Anyone with experience wanna explain? Also, how much ram does it take up(for a 200 player survival or minigame server)? 

one core. the entirety of the tick handling is trough one thread.

all that remains past that in terms of cpu usage is stuff that java is doing, or the network threads.

as for those 200 player servers, they either lag to shreds, or are running custom software.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

one core. the entirety of the tick handling is trough one thread.

all that remains past that in terms of cpu usage is stuff that java is doing, or the network threads.

as for those 200 player servers, they either lag to shreds, or are running custom software.

Thanks! Know what kind of software they are using?

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

custom.

as in, they take a developer, give him coffee and a computer, and shower him in money.

Ah, ok lol

I've seen my modded servers use all 8 threads of my CPU, vanilla only 4.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

I've seen my modded servers use all 8 threads of my CPU, vanilla only 4.

use them, or use them efficiently?

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

use them, or use them efficiently?

One core is usually higher than the others at idle, but all usually sit at pretty low usage since the 4790k has good single core performance.

If you do intensive stuff on the server, for example removing water from a quarry, having tons of entities, etc. all the cores spike to pretty high usage, not just one.

I see this question asked pretty often, maybe I should do a youtube video on the topic to demonstrate :)

Problem is I have no way of checking if modded can use more than 8 threads.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

One core is usually higher than the others at idle, but all usually sit at pretty low usage since the 4790k has good single core performance.

If you do intensive stuff on the server, for example removing water from a quarry, having tons of entities, etc. all the cores spike to pretty high usage, not just one.

I see this question asked pretty often, maybe I should do a youtube video on the topic to demonstrate :)

Problem is I have no way of checking if modded can use more than 8 threads.

i'll tell you how i can give you a way to check:

all the functional bits of a minecraft server are written and executed in a single thread, this is done with purpose, and this will most likely never change.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'll tell you how i can give you a way to check:

all the functional bits of a minecraft server are written and executed in a single thread, this is done with purpose, and this will most likely never change.

No, it's been a while since they enabled multithreading, now stuff like chunk loading, redstone ticks, entity movement, etc. are divided up into separate threads when possible.

Spoiler

The most I've seen a Minecraft server use was four threads on my Steam server. Usage was low (~20%), but higher than idle (10%). 

Note: I don't play Minecraft and just followed a guide on setting up a Minecraft server. 

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, it's been a while since they enabled multithreading, now stuff like chunk loading, redstone ticks, entity movement, etc. are divided up into separate threads when possible.

Interesting. Is this only for servers or for the game as well? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

nteresting. Is this only for servers or for the game as well? 

clientside a lot of the rendering is handled in seperate threads, on the serverside, i've yet to see any sort of indication of multiple threads doing what you'd expect of multiple threads, with about 97% of total cpu usage coming from a single thread.

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Interesting. Is this only for servers or for the game as well? 

They have updated the client to run a sort of "internal server" so that when playing singleplayer it basically runs both the client and server at the same time, also allowing the game to use more cores. Just like when running the standalone server.

When using the client to connect to a remote server, I cant remember if it is limited to one core.

Spoiler

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2017 at 10:40 AM, Anjelllo said:

Just wondering what those big servers with 200+ Players are being run on. On the wiki it says minecraft supports multiple cores, but how many? I've heard it only takes advantage of 3 but others say it can take up as many as you throw at it. Anyone with experience wanna explain? Also, how much ram does it take up(for a 200 player survival or minigame server)? 

i think you need a good one core perfomance cpu

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1