Whats with the vega hate?

This kid builds pc

Why is everyone hating that the vega is a dissappointment? AMD did what they aimed for. The cards are both competitive with the 1070 and 1080 what is not to like? Some people can be so damn picky.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

has to do with hype and promised performance 

While some amd sources might understate vegas performance , many overstated it.

if anything is a dissapointment be it movies , tv shows , games , automobiles , presidents of the united states , people will bitch about it on the internet.

its because with all the hype people were assuming that they were going to beat the 1070/80 in tests by 10% or more and to see the tests were they struggle to match letalnoe beat has made some people hate on the vega cards, to me all would be ok if priced low but theyare trying the stupid budle things and its a fact that there price will rise

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

You mean by consuming more power and pumping out more heat all for the same or less frames than similarly priced cards following hype that it would be some miracle card that would crush the 1080 at 1070 or lower prices?

If expectations were set low at the start and they over delivered then nobody would complain but to set the bar high and fall pretty far from the mark, people are going to hate.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

becuase it does so drawing doubble the power for the 64, you cant BIOS flash it without it bricking, it has some screwed up bundle system that screws over anyone wanting an upgrade and its mainly TOO LATE. Volta wont be here before christmas or anything but Pascal draws less power, has actiual stock and has already been out for a year. my prediction for Volta launch/anouncement is CES 2018 which is Q1 and a Q2 launch maybe, that would give Vega under 6 months of "glory" of not reaching the 1080TI in anything but mining.

Vega 64 is just straihgt up uncompetative when you start to look at it from a value standpoint but 56 is great, dosent draw massive amounts more power then the 1070 and is priced similarly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You mean by consuming more power and pumping out more heat all for the same or less frames than similarly priced cards following hype that it would be some miracle card that would crush the 1080 at 1070 or lower prices?

If expectations were set low at the start and they over delivered then nobody would complain but to set the bar high and fall pretty far from the mark, people are going to hate.

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

becuase it does so drawing doubble the power for the 64, you cant BIOS flash it without it bricking, it has some screwed up bundle system that screws over anyone wanting an upgrade and its mainly TOO LATE. Volta wont be here before christmas or anything but Pascal draws less power, has actiual stock and has already been out for a year. my prediction for Volta launch/anouncement is CES 2018 which is Q1 and a Q2 launch maybe, that would give Vega under 6 months of "glory" of not reaching the 1080TI in anything but mining.

Vega 64 is just straihgt up uncompetative when you start to look at it from a value standpoint but 56 is great, dosent draw massive amounts more power then the 1070 and is priced similarly

Guys, even if it's more heat and more wattage unless you care about a couple more dollars a month (which obviously you don't if you're going to spend a shitload of money and pc parts) it doesn't matter as long as it performs up to par with the other cards. They never said it was gonna reach the 1080 ti so please stop bringing it up. Also, it just got out and is out of stock like all the other cards before (pascal when it was released had shitty pricing still today and was out of stock for a month or two). Volta is now just a bunch of speculation until we get a tease ,but until then we shouldn't bring up the volta argument.

Rig Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 3.9ghz @1.33125v Cinebench Scores Best:1750cb Average: 1735cb

Asrock X370 SLI/AC  SOLD

Evga GTX 560 Ti 1gb    Just got a EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper

G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 2400mhz oc’d to 2666mhz (bought when ram was still cheap :()  

Corsair RM850

Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Changing to a Inwin 301 soon

Custom CPU Loop (watercooling is boring to me right now so I want to go back to air cooling and do like one more WC Loop in a Inwin 301)

Intel 256gb SSD

Kingston 240gb SSD

HyperX 90gb SSD

Not So Shitbox v3 Specs:

I7 2600k oc'd to 4.7 @ 1.4ish (will do more when I get a better cooler) 

MSI P67-GD55  Sold to fund my gpu

Gigabyte Windforce HD 6950

Team Elite Plus 8gb DDR3 (1 stick) @ 1600mhz

Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt

Cooler Master T4

Enthoo Luxe 

Kingston 120gb SSD

WD Black 1tb HDD

Laptop:

Asus GL552VW-DH71

i7 6700HQ

2x8gb DDR4 

1tb hard drive

GTX 960m

15in IPS 1080p display

The main reason i'm dissatasfied is the super high power consumption compared to the similar performing nvidia cards.

42 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

They consume a lot more power, usually cost more, and perform the same. They are worse in literally every way. 

There's nothing more that needs to be said. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Listen to the first few lines from vega's introduction video :P 

"For Gamers, stepping up to a vega card is like having terrible vision , putting on pair of glasses very first time like you thought you were seeing before but you were not. The level of fidelity & performance you're gonna get out of vega card is like you're playing video games again for the first time "

& think what it was turned out to be. the big promise & expectation from fans after seeing ryzen, the outcome wasn't pleasant..guess that brought disappointment.. But again, the performance might get better with time & drive update . & If the custom card come close to the initial MSRP then Vega 56 could be a nice deal atleast!

11 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

Why is everyone hating that the vega is a dissappointment? AMD did what they aimed for. The cards are both competitive with the 1070 and 1080 what is not to like? Some people can be so damn picky.

They did not. The 56 is doing okay against the 1070, still not what was expected and no, the 64 is not competitive enough against the 1080(it's losing out to it more than being competitive) coming out a year later. Drivers will improve performance, yes, but still I don't see them comfortably beating out either of the Nvidia cards at all in future. Also, they are not going to be available for the prices they have promised (most are sold out almost immediately and prices for 64 is already as high or higher than the 1080, not to mention that there are rumors AMD will themselves increase MSRP by $100). At this point, I don't see any value in Vega. You are basically paying more/same to get the same/poorer performance in games. Although the compute is different altogether, it doesn't help gamers in any way, at-least for now. I fear we have started seeing an increased inclination of Nvidia and AMD being more and more focused towards compute than gaming. Is this the beginning of the end of PC gaming :(

14 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

Guys, even if it's more heat and more wattage unless you care about a couple more dollars a month (which obviously you don't if you're going to spend a shitload of money and pc parts) it doesn't matter as long as it performs up to par with the other cards. They never said it was gonna reach the 1080 ti so please stop bringing it up. Also, it just got out and is out of stock like all the other cards before (pascal when it was released had shitty pricing still today and was out of stock for a month or two). Volta is now just a bunch of speculation until we get a tease ,but until then we shouldn't bring up the volta argument.

How is Volta not relevant here? we know its comming, and that it shouldent be far off. if NVIDIA wanted to they could have launched it already if they wanted but there is no more profit in it for them to do so when AMD isnt compeating with anything exept the 1070. If you can come up with a good case for buying Vega 64 and a new PSU over just dropping in a 1080 then please tell me. Freesync i guess? thats about it. i dont think my current PSU could handle an overclocked Vega 64 card, maybe not even stock, because with just raising the power limit by 50% it starts to gobble around 520W. thats more then mosts peoples entire PSUs.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

21 hours ago, This kid builds pc said:

Well, why wouldn't they be disappointed? What exactly does Vega bring to the table, that Nvidia doesn't offer since 14+ Months already....?! And Vega isn't even much cheaper.

Take the Vega 64 now vs. the almost 15 Month old GTX 1080.

- Vega has LESS performance, unless you raise the Powertarget --> Higher power consumption than a GTX 1080. Especially if you take a Custom 1080, that Vega can't even beat with PT +50% kinda~, or maybe just come at a similar Level

- Vega consumes easy 100-150 Watt more. Vega 64 stock consumes 299~ Watt or so, while a 1080 Founders sat at 158 Watt~ (Source: Computerbase.de). Almost double the Power consumption for still slightly less performance.

With Maxed PT, Vega 64 can swallow 406 Watt alone. My GTX 1080 with a similar Performance, sits at <140 Watt (undervolted), or 200-220w (Stock. MSI Gaming X).

- At the moment, only those bundles are available, which makes the Vega 64 cost 649€ here in Germany at least. A GTX 1080 Palit Super Jetstream is available for 545€, and is one of the best GTX 1080 on the Market.

- For 699€ you can already get a GTX 1080 ti, which offers LESS Power consumption (like 50 Watt less. 250w, vs. 300w) as a Vega 64, and still +30% Performance. And slightly faster Memory (480 gb/s vs. 484 gb/s), and 11gb instead of 8.

So, conclusion: Vega 64 comes 14-15 Months Later, and still offers less Performance with much higher Power consumption. Why would you take Vega over GTX 1080?

Freesync? If you have one, sure, valid.. But still not a "win".

G-Sync might cost more, but over the years, Vega will give you a higher electricity bill.

The only thing, that would make Vega decent (it is not even decent at the moment, in my Opinion due to all these points) is, if you can Undervolt it a LOT. Vega 64 running in 200-220 Watt at the same Performance, something like that. If not... then meh~

Btw: If Vega 64 and GTX 1080 have nearly the same Performance, but GTX 1080 has a MUCH lower Power consumption, Vega HAS to be cheaper than the GTX 1080 in order to counter that deficite. If it doesn't (which will be difficult with HBM2 memory), it's a worse Price / Performance ratio.

And like others above said, their Marketing promises. "Poor Volta", when they can't even beat an 15 Month old Pascal.

As much as i like their CPU Lineup right now, and i find them VERY competetive, Vega is a disappointment, if you look at ALL the aspects of the Product.

Aside from Freesync, i just don't see ANY Reason to get Vega.

Well, MY OPINION:

Vega was suposed to be like the 1070/1080 but with lower prices. The reality we got is: same performance, same price*, and higher power consumption.

So why would I be excited to get something that already exists for a long time, but with LESS EFICIENCY? That alone was a little disappointing, but the last straw was the pricing. The price went up because the rebates ended, so now we get a product that is equal to 1070/1080 in performance but it is more expensive and more power Hungry??? Pretty fucked up, if you ask me. 

The only hope for vega was pricing, but now we can see It is not good, the card if to expensive to make to be sold cheaply, so it became pointless right on launch.

I was really rooting for vega, was expecting performance of 1070 for like 20% less.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

On 8/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, This kid builds pc said:

People are gonna complain with essentially everything.

There are a few main complaints

1) sold out UBER quick

2) the price hike on the cards (latest WAN show has some more details on that)

3) underwhelming mining capability

Overall, the biggest complaint is that they aren't KILLERS. There was massive hype surrounding these cards as bringing back Radeon as more powerful than its NVIDIA counterparts, something which the original leaks supported. Many people were expecting the 56 and 64 (atleast 56) to destroy the 10 series cards for a cheaper point. However, with relatively non-competitive prices and crazy power draw, they weren't as powerful as many people hoped.

Hope this was helpful!

But well.. Let's see how Prices settle, once

1. Custom Cards are available (let's be real, this Reference Garbage isn't an option anyway..There's a pre-test of the Asus Strix, made EVERYTHING better than the shitty Reference)

2. This mining-crap is done, and Prices stabilize.

There's still hope, that Prices will adjust accordingly

Aside the power consumption, from what I have seen in benchmarks, Vega seems to be doing "OK - playable" on 4K gaming side.

What irritates me is that the availability and pricing here in Sweden is like - it does not exist. Preliminary stock is set for October 2nd.

I would be considering a Radeon Pack but no one even mentions them here.

So, my problem with Vega is the expectation chaos. It was not specified which markets will get if first, which ones will not get them at all maybe. Which suppliers will start making custom cards, and so on. Basically there was very little info. Say that they will be available in this region by date X or Y and it will make a lot of people calm down.

Also, I am wondering if miners who will be buying Vega are new miners, or is it actually worth the money to upgrade to Vega for the mining?