Need cooler for i5-4570 on Dell Optiplex 3020 board

Hi guys,

I got my hands on a cheap Optiplex 3020 SFF with an i5-4570 CPU (socket LGA 1150, 84W TDP). I want to make it into a gaming machine so I moved it out of its case into a Rosewill Star Predator I had available.

However the board has no backplate for the cooler mounts. The original cooler screws in into special standoffs from the case, meaning I can't use it in the new case. Therefore I need either a different cooler that comes with a backplate (or doesn't need one) or a backplate so that I can use the included CPU. Ideally something that I can order from Amazon UK instead of waiting months for it to ship from China.

Do push-pin coolers need a backplate?

2 minutes ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

Hi guys,

I got my hands on a cheap Optiplex 3020 SFF with an i5-4570 CPU (socket LGA 1150, 84W TDP). I want to make it into a gaming machine so I moved it out of its case into a Rosewill Star Predator I had available.

However the board has no backplate for the cooler mounts. The original cooler screws in into special standoffs from the case, meaning I can't use it in the new case. Therefore I need either a different cooler that comes with a backplate (or doesn't need one) or a backplate so that I can use the included CPU. Ideally something that I can order from Amazon UK instead of waiting months for it to ship from China.

hyper 212 evo comes with a backplate, the hyper tx3 moutns like the intel stock cooler, though i had bad experience with its mounting because hte pin moutns are too weak for bigger heatsink coolers

Intel stock coolers can be gotten for the shipping cost basically off the used market sometimes. if you want a new cooler a Hyper 212 isnt a bad pick

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

Hi guys,

You can use motherboad standoffs for the mounting screws.

Push pin coolers do not require a backplate.

You should check out my Dell 3010 build linked in my signature. I had to take out the motherboard to remove the backplate for a pushpin Intel cooler.

How are you planning to get around the proprietary power cable?

3 hours ago, H0R53 said:

You can use motherboad standoffs for the mounting screws.

Push pin coolers do not require a backplate.

You should check out my Dell 3010 build linked in my signature. I had to take out the motherboard to remove the backplate for a pushpin Intel cooler.

How are you planning to get around the proprietary power cable?

I was just about to say there is a big hole behind the motherboard and the socket when I realized the standoffs don't really need to be screwed anywhere. I just need to make sure the threading matches. It will be tricky though to do the mounting without messing too much with the screws and the thermal paste.

For the power cable I bought an adapter - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/112054549450

Just did a test and the standoffs are just a little bit thicker than the holes and that's only because of the hexagonal form. I'm afraid that when tighten up, the standoffs will eventually cut through the board and get the cooler loose. As I want to sell the machine, that's not an option. So I'm back to third party option

5 hours ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

Just did a test and the standoffs are just a little bit thicker than the holes and that's only because of the hexagonal form. I'm afraid that when tighten up, the standoffs will eventually cut through the board and get the cooler loose. As I want to sell the machine, that's not an option. So I'm back to third party option

Put small washers behind it, or put electrical tape around the holes to prevent that.

I use zip ties sometimes and they work fine, and a very large number of other janky janks to get coolers mounted.

An Intel cooler is like six dollars on Amazon, just go for it.

14 hours ago, H0R53 said:

No, the front panel has a proprietary 5 pin header.

Power switch (and I think power led) have their own 5 pin connector.

X0
XX
XX

The rest of the front panel connectors go to a 11pin set like this:

XXXX0X
XXXXXX

I might have to fall back to trial and error to match the rest of the pins.

I would recommend the coolermaster hyper 2 12 evo because its a budget cooler that comes with a backplate and still provides better cooling than most traditional stock heatsinks that you would get with the cpu.

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

I would recommend the coolermaster hyper 2 12 evo because its a budget cooler that comes with a backplate and still provides better cooling than most traditional stock heatsinks that you would get with the cpu.

I heared many horror stories about how difficult it is to mount, but I think I will give it a try.

2 hours ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

Power switch (and I think power led) have their own 5 pin connector.

X0
XX
XX

The rest of the front panel connectors go to a 11pin set like this:

XXXX0X
XXXXXX

I might have to fall back to trial and error to match the rest of the pins.

What you can do is rewire the whole thing to the new case. That's what I'd do, but I like my SFF case. Take the original power button out and put the Dell one in, and move the LED as well. You may have to strip and extend the wires.

Google-ing for Dell's pinouts usually yield good results, and pinouts.ru has a lot of good stuff.

Be glad the fan headers aren't the proprietary 5-pin.

1 hour ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

I heared many horror stories about how difficult it is to mount, but I think I will give it a try.

Cooler Master d92 is pretty bad too.

Get a 120mm AiO. The ones made by upHere are good.

3 hours ago, H0R53 said:

What you can do is rewire the whole thing to the new case. That's what I'd do, but I like my SFF case. Take the original power button out and put the Dell one in, and move the LED as well. You may have to strip and extend the wires.

Google-ing for Dell's pinouts usually yield good results, and pinouts.ru has a lot of good stuff.

Be glad the fan headers aren't the proprietary 5-pin.

Cooler Master d92 is pretty bad too.

Get a 120mm AiO. The ones made by upHere are good.

Gutting the new case is not really an option. I will just try and find the right pin setup.

The CPU pin IS a 5 pin on the board, even though only 4 pins are cabled. I really hope this will not be a problem with a new Cooler.

12 hours ago, Euro Budget Gamer said:

Gutting the new case is not really an option. I will just try and find the right pin setup.

The CPU pin IS a 5 pin on the board, even though only 4 pins are cabled. I really hope this will not be a problem with a new Cooler.

http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/dell_5pin_4pin_pinout.shtml

Have fun.

My 3010's only proprietary things are the front panel LEDs and the power button. The PSU is a full 24-pin +4 pin ATX PSU.

Even then, the BIOS doesn't yell at me for not having the diagnostic LEDs connected, so if I really wanted to all I'd need to hook up in a new case is the power button. The front USB and audio are all on standard headers.

If you need any more help just ask, I have more experience with Dell's proprietary bullshit than most.

Problem solved. I have another Dell machine (Vostro 260s) that I worked on and who's having a bit of a noise issue (fan goes full throttle at very low temps). I took the plastic bracket off that motherboard as I installed this cooler - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU5VUEE/

I now have the bracket to put in this machine. One problem solved

7 hours ago, H0R53 said:

If you need any more help just ask, I have more experience with Dell's proprietary bullshit than most.

Much appreciated. I got the PSU today and I want to start tinkering with it now that I have all the parts.

Once I manage to sell these two machines I got permission from my better half to order parts for my very own build xD