Nearly perfect video games

Modded

- Kebal space program because there are literally hundreds (or thousands) of hours of game you can play and it doesn't get boring.

- Minecraft is very good when modded, and there is a wide range of mods. Only single player or with friends, the community is full of toxic hacking 5 year olds. 

- Skyrim gets a mention purely for the music and sounds. And the game is still pretty good, even though it's pretty old.

- Cities skylines is also a great game, looks amazing and is really fun. But it's slightly ruined by all the DLC.

Vanilla

- Portal 1&2 - Pick them up on sale and they're like £1.50, and they're some of the best games ever. Also has amazing music.

- Borderlands 2 - I really liked the atmosphere they created and the co-op mode is great with friends. (Also it's the only game I know that has a colourblind mode, so bonus marks there)

17 hours ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Ocarina of Time was perfect, not a single thing wrong with that game.

You've forgotten the water temple. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

There can never be a universally perfect game... But one can choose a perfect game for him/her self.

But if zombie/nuclear apocalypse comes and I will have to be stuck in a doomsday bunker for a long time, I will take the following games:

Civilization V - All expansions, Oh i think you know why. and its the best entry in Civs.

GTA 3 San Andreas - Let's face it, it's the best GTA with the most diverse game mechanics. Thus most enjoyable anytime, any day. Runs on most systems.

Half-Life 2 - Orange Box preferred - there'll be a time when you just wanna blow things up in first person, this one includes aliens.

Witcher - 1, 2, 3 plus expansions - I see these as a single game. You can't go wrong in killing time with it. Great fantasy entry.

I really liked Driver: San Francisco. Unfortunately it's not exactly a game that deviates far from what it establishes. Although, in a sense, this can be a good thing too, because we saw how that worked out with Driv3r.

Also, the Windows and ironically enough not the Mac port is quite lazily built off of the Xbox 360 version with missing effects.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

22 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

You've forgotten the water temple. 

That's part of what made it so good

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

10/10 no doubt.

Amazing gameplay, amazing story. (The only video game I cried in). I cannot praise it enough. You just HAVE to play it, or more like live it.

The only thing that nagged me was the sometimes inaccurate and patronising military discussions/dialog.

2) Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005)

10/10 for its time. Good range of race modes. Police chases were amazing. Everything was so immersive. It blew my mind when it came out.

Bad thing is that going up the 'Blacklist' got a bit repetitive.

3) Age of Mythology (2002)

10/10, though I might be bias because it was the first RTS I really got into... most prefer AoE II I think.

I loved ancient history/mythology and the way the mythical characters and creatures were put into one game was nothing short of the work of genius. They even included information on myths and historical characters. I can't get enough of the soundtrack - still listening to it today. The campaign did not feel repetitive at all, and you can tell a lot of effort was put into its design. Multiplayer is also heaps of fun.

Downside is that I am crap at RTS :P

4) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

GTA:SA. 'Nuf said.

The annoying missions were annoying though.

5) The Stanley Parable & The Beginner's Guide

Grouped together because they are both quite short.

If you haven't experienced them (that's right - 'played' isn't the right word here), go and get them.

Bugs bugged me.

Honourable mentions: Fallout 3, Kerbal Space Program, Halo CE, Portal 2. 

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

3 games. 

1st is C&C Generals Zero Hour. I've spent hundreds, possibly thousands of hours in this game. I decry EA for terminating it and not making new servers after Gamespy went kaput. 

2nd is AOE3. Some like 2 better, but for gameplay and availability of online games' no 3 takes the win for me. 

3rd is a VR game called Smashbox Arena. Yes, it has its flaws, some more obvious, but for a VR game it's awesome fun and you simply don't care about a few of the issues.  

Time Crisis

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

Final Fantasy 4 and 6.

Doom (2016).  

Wolfenstine New World Order. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I really enjoyed Skyrim.I have 1000+ hours on it.

Until i found a random book on a sidequest that started ANOTHER SIDEQUEST

LIKE 2 TIMES IN A ROW

Battlefield 4-My favorite in the series.

Civilization V-My favorite in the series.  Most games get repetitive or boring after 8 hours, but not this one.

Project Reality-A Battlefield 2 mod that got turned into a standalone game.  For those that play Squad, Squad is a worse version of this game.  This game has the best community out of all the games I have played.

all the games i love have pretty major problems tbh. Paladins has HiRez in general, NFSU2 is just pretty bad if you think about it, Battleborn has no players, TF2 got shat on, Beam.NG Drive is extremely demanding and there isnt much to do in it, BDO is so extremely unoptimised you can barely run it lol and guns of Icarus also has basically no comunity outside of the super high level hardcores that shout noob at you because there is nobody else to get qued with becauase again there are barely any players. OSU though, OSU is pretty perfect...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

midnight club la
dead space 1
life is strange
forza horizon 3

Been having a LOT of fun with Horizon Zero Dawn

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Doom 64. Worst (and only) thing wrong with it is it doesn't have a faithful PC port with actually working multiplayer. Easily the best Doom SP campaign, hands down. Amazing level design, creepy atmosphere, awesome enemy designs, etc.

Super Mario World, I've played that game through 100% about a million times and I can't find a real flaw with it.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing for Watch_Dogs 2? Personal favorite of mine.

Also Minecraft and Factorio

Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite come to mind. The former is almost perfect BUT the massive plot twist is right in the middle of the game, so the ending feels a bit underwhelming. The latter is almost perfect, BUT the gunplay could have been better - aside from the utter slaughterfest not fitting too well with the story, limiting the player to 2 guns at a time didn't do it any favours in my opinion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 7/22/2017 at 1:21 AM, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Ocarina of Time was perfect, not a single thing wrong with that game.

It runs at 20 fps.

On 7/22/2017 at 10:22 PM, Wrb said:

Modded

- Kebal space program because there are literally hundreds (or thousands) of hours of game you can play and it doesn't get boring.

- Minecraft is very good when modded, and there is a wide range of mods. Only single player or with friends, the community is full of toxic hacking 5 year olds. 

- Skyrim gets a mention purely for the music and sounds. And the game is still pretty good, even though it's pretty old.

- Cities skylines is also a great game, looks amazing and is really fun. But it's slightly ruined by all the DLC.

Vanilla

- Portal 1&2 - Pick them up on sale and they're like £1.50, and they're some of the best games ever. Also has amazing music.

- Borderlands 2 - I really liked the atmosphere they created and the co-op mode is great with friends. (Also it's the only game I know that has a colourblind mode, so bonus marks there)

first guy to mention portal, on page 3, im ashamed of you guys. Portal 1+2 are fine arts

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

If I had to make a list of the games I consider as perfect as possible, I'd go with, in order of release date:

1. Super Mario Brothers (NES) - Just simple fun with airtight controls and an amazing soundtrack. I love pretty much all canon Mario games but this is still the one I liked to play most.
  2. Shinobi (Arcade) - The game controls beautifully and it's still one of the best looking sidescrollers I have ever played. I love the final mission especially when you're going through the jungle with flying ninjas attacking you from everywhere.
  3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) -  A Link to the Past has the coolest dungeons I have ever played in a game and the parallel world where you start off as a helpless rabbit but are able to later conquer is a great plot twist. Plus the music is top notch. In the NES and SNES days Nintendo was unmatched when it came to game soundtracks.
  4. Fallout 2 (PC) - This might be the greatest story ever told in gaming (though another game I have later on this list is close). I don't even want to say why I liked the story so much because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it and has $5 to spend buying Fallout 1 + 2 off the next GOG sale or Steam sale (they really should be played in sequence). As much as I really like the Bethesda Fallout games, the VATS system makes so much more sense in a turn based RPG like in the first two Fallouts. And once you get good weapons and build your skills in them the death animations when you kill someone with a critical attack are so violently satisfying.
  5. Half Life 1 (PC) - Half Life 1 is all meat and no filler. No annoying cutscenes, you're always in control and you learn the story in real time by talking to people and witnessing things. It has such great enemies and I love the sound effects when an alien bursts into existence or you recharge your suit. I love the game so much I can even forgive the lackluster final boss in Xen.
  6. Skyrim (PC) - This is the game I always dreamed of when I was a kid playing NES, DOS, and arcade games: an open world sandbox where you could do whatever you wanted instead of just going to the right. The first thing I did in Skyrim after escaping my execution wasn't going to Whiterun, but instead climbing all the cool mountains I could find (damn you frost trolls). As much as I loved the freedom of A Link to the Past, Skyrim was on a whole other level. I loved playing as a khajit sneak thief who killed people with his bow before anyone could know I was there. I loved playing as an Orc in heavy armor just charging into every battle guns blazing. I loved playing as a mage and burning everyone to shit. I think the only game I have ever played with anywhere close to as much replay value as Skyrim is GTA V. And as much as I enjoyed Oblivion, Skyrim's much denser map and alpine setting made me enjoy the game more.
  7. Bloodborne (PS4) - I love this game for a lot of the same reasons as I do Half Life. That you learn lore mostly from playing and not from cutscenes. The cutscenes are mostly just quick scenes where the boss gives you a dirty look after noticing you're there to fight him. This game has the tightest controls I can ever recall in a 3D game and taking away the shields and nerfing ranged combat from the Dark Souls games makes Bloodborne such fast paced aggressive action. The second you see Cleric Beast just jump out at you from nowhere on the bridge with his giant attack arm you knew you were going to be in for some great boss fights in this game. The gothic architecture with the dark skies and that church bell booming every hour make Central Yharnam such an imposing town. And then hearing that uneducated English accent from the bastards who make fun of you and your impending death for being stuck outside on the night of the hunt when you knock on their doors. Bloodborne combines probably my favorite setting ever in a game with my favorite action.
  8. NieR Automata (PC) - I thought maybe this was recency bias for a while, considering I completed the game a couple of months ago. But I cannot get this game out of my head and for a ton of reasons. First of all, the story just takes you on an unbelievable emotional roller-coaster. I mean I knew to expect wild plot twists from reading the reviews, but I still wasn't anticipating what they would be. This is such an ambitious game and I think it succeeds with its crazy story. Next, I thoroughly enjoyed the fast paced button mashing combat with all the attacks you could string together based on which chips you plugged into your cpu. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have anywhere near the depth of Bloodborne so it's not in that class, but it's fun to be an overpowered badass sometimes too. The inclusion of top down shooter sections was such a cool interlude to the main parts of the game, and reminded me that I really do like this genre that I stopped playing in the early 90s when top tier developers seemed to stop making them. And the soundtrack might be the best I have ever heard in a game. It's the only game I have ever listened to the soundtrack of when I wasn't playing it.

If I had to point out the flaws of the eight games I listed, they'd probably be:

1. SMB on NES - More a problem with the NES, but that fucking cartridge connecter and its pins getting bent so easily so that you have constant resets while trying to seat the game properly to play it.
  2. Shinobi on Arcade - The game won't let you continue when you lose all your lives in the last world.
  3. A Link to the Past on SNES - I can't think of anything wrong.
  4. Fallout 2 on PC - I guess the game is really tough early on. Not sure that's a negative though.
  5. Half Life on PC - The final boss sucks.
  6. Skyrim on PC - The hair looks pretty bad in the game.
  7. Bloodborne on PS4 - It has frame pacing issues so the framerate isn't especially smooth even for 30 fps.
  8. NieR Automata on PC - You have to use a mod to play at full resolution and Square Enix abandoned the PC version when it comes to patching bugs. And I had to use that fan made mod to change a couple of settings that drastically affect performance but aren't changeable through the options menu to be able to get 60 fps on my GTX 970 at 1080p.

Breath of the Wild while it has its apparent problems it is an amazing Zelda game likely the best one in a series that is highly rated

Metroid Prime Trilogy.  I can't select one thats the best they are all really good and just do alot of things right

Halo Combat Evolved.  Still hands down my favorite shooter ever created.  Story, atmosphere, controls, multiplayer its all spot on

Of the somewhat modern AAA lot:

Mass Effect 2 !

The Witcher 3 !! (though 2 was great as well)

Sims/MilSims:

FSX, Arma 3, DCS World, Il-2.. etc <3

Way too many classics to list:

I'm with @LooneyJuice. Star Wars Battlefront II is an awesome game still, and even better with the massive amount of mods. The gameplay is just your basic class system, like a lot of other FPS games, but it's held it's age well. And I never get tired of blasting Rebel scum with my trusty DLT-19 (Delta's GCW-1035 mod brings all the skins and guns over from EA's Battlefront).

I also love KOTOR. And other game that's aged well. It still has an an amazing story, great quests and planets and everything, but can be buggy. There's a ton of mods for that as well, though they aren't as easy to install as the Battlefront II ones. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Super Mario World for the SNES still has the tightest controls ever and not a single person can say otherwise :D