New York to DC Hyperloop like gets the go-ahead

zxsq

Why not just.. get this.. Regular bullet trains? Vastly cheaper, and VASTLY safer.

I used to be quite active here.

Local officials have already stated that they have given ZERO clearance for this project and have heard nothing about it. I want it to happen, but there's no way it will any time soon.

Your Local Crypto Trading, Competitive Gaming Slut <3

NZXT S340 Elite | 7700k | Corsair H110i | Asus Dual 1070 | 16GB G.Skill Aegis RAM | Rosewill Photon 650w Modular PSU

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Well, you can be the chauffeur, for those that don't like public transport!

Hell no

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Why the musk mania is still happening?

Yes it works great on paper, but as everything he does, it's average and will cost so much. Anything else similar is buried into the ground because it's either unsafe or too costly, but when he does it, everyone praises it.

I just don't get it.

Some of you might know Thunderfoot from youtube. I think he is totally right with his coverage (many videos so far):

23 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Expect 10+ years since they will be boring a tunnel the whole way. Just look how long it took to bore tunnels through mountains in Italy for their bullet trains.

Here in Switzerland it took us 10+ years for a 50 km tunnel. On the other hand it's a mayor difference if you drill throug a mountain and have several km of stone above you or just a few 10 meters of dirt.

Supply with fresh air is much easier as well as taking the debrie away.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Why the musk mania is still happening?

Yes it works great on paper, but as everything he does, it's average and will cost so much. Anything else similar is buried into the ground because it's either unsafe or too costly, but when he does it, everyone praises it.

I just don't get it.

Actually we have a big group thinking about an underground transporting system here in Switzerland. But it's for goods only, not for people. And it will be totally autonomic driving and at a low speed to save power.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Actually we have a big group thinking about an underground transporting system here in Switzerland. But it's for goods only, not for people. And it will be totally autonomic driving and at a low speed to save power.

Yes, but it's totally different technically. Less risks and costs. Better efficiency for cost /cubic meters which can absorb a better part of the cost of having an underground path. But they are not planning on making it airsealed, are they?

It's just that it's like space x Mars travelling. Other people could have done it, but it's just pointless and extra expensive. Teslas are great but they're so expensive as well.

However people still buy it...

It's the apple phenomena all over again where cost effectiveness is nothing compared to the image associated the possession of one.

13 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

yeah, it's called a subway; or how the brits call it, the tube

6 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Yes, but it's totally different technically. Less risks and costs. Better efficiency for cost /cubic meters which can absorb a better part of the cost of having an underground path. But they are not planning on making it airsealed, are they?

It's just that it's like space x Mars travelling. Other people could have done it, but it's just pointless and extra expensive. Teslas are great but they're so expensive as well.

However people still buy it...

It's the apple phenomena all over again where cost effectiveness is nothing compared to the image associated the possession of one.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yeah, it's called a subway; or how the brits call it, the tube

Well; I'm totally with you. The theorie is nice, it's is technicly doable, but there are better alternatives. But if they feel like they have to do it, they can, as they are not wasting my money.

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Well; I'm totally with you. The theorie is nice, it's is technicly doable, but there are better alternatives. But if they feel like they have to do it, they can, as they are not wasting my money.

I may be jealous of that though. I found a way to produce energy with data centers. Theoretically it works, but with no money to back it up or without an image to back it up, it probably won't see the light of day, or not while I'm alive. It shows one of the absurdities of the world, which is why I reacted and why I don't understand it.

Oh by the way, are labs of ETHZ or EPFL part of that group working on this goods transportation system?

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I may be jealous of that though. I found a way to produce energy with data centers. Theoretically it works, but with no money to back it up or without an image to back it up, it probably won't see the light of day, or not while I'm alive. It shows one of the absurdities of the world, which is why I reacted and why I don't understand it.

Oh by the way, are labs of ETHZ or EPFL part of that group working on this goods transportation system?

I may sound cynical, but a lot we do here on earth is pretty insane. People with power push througth the stuff they like to and the others have to deal with it. More ofthen than not, a unoptimal approach is taken. While Musk is a bit creazy, there are far worse player on the market. The only sad thing that people still supprot them, despite paying more for getting less.

There is a groupe of ETH students working on a "train" fro the hyperloop. Actually a nice project for students to learn a lot new stuff. But the product is not useable.

The "Cargo Sous Terrain" is more or less just starting (most of the info is in German only):

http://www.cargosousterrain.ch/de/en.html

12 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I may sound cynical, but a lot we do here on earth is pretty insane. People with power push througth the stuff they like to and the others have to deal with it. More ofthen than not, a unoptimal approach is taken. While Musk is a bit creazy, there are far worse player on the market. The only sad thing that people still supprot them, despite paying more for getting less.

There is a groupe of ETH students working on a "train" fro the hyperloop. Actually a nice project for students to learn a lot new stuff. But the product is not useable.

The "Cargo Sous Terrain" is more or less just starting (most of the info is in German only):

http://www.cargosousterrain.ch/de/en.html

He doesn't seem to, but his affiliation with some transhumanism movements, even if not as important as Kurzweil's, worries me a bit, since people give him a lot of credit and power..

Nice, I'll talk to them when I'll start my degree at ETH then!

Info in German with a french name for the project, we do love swiss people :)

12 hours ago, TGJamieErin said:

Local officials have already stated that they have given ZERO clearance for this project and have heard nothing about it. I want it to happen, but there's no way it will any time soon.

I don't know why this thread is still open, it's highly misleading, this isn't happening. 

Edited by TGJamieErin

Your Local Crypto Trading, Competitive Gaming Slut <3

NZXT S340 Elite | 7700k | Corsair H110i | Asus Dual 1070 | 16GB G.Skill Aegis RAM | Rosewill Photon 650w Modular PSU

On 7/21/2017 at 8:37 AM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Expect 10+ years since they will be boring a tunnel the whole way. Just look how long it took to bore tunnels through mountains in Italy for their bullet trains.

Still shorter than the average ATC delays when a pidgeon sneezes in ZNY airspace. :P

3 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Here in Switzerland it took us 10+ years for a 50 km tunnel. On the other hand it's a mayor difference if you drill throug a mountain and have several km of stone above you or just a few 10 meters of dirt.

Supply with fresh air is much easier as well as taking the debrie away.

Switzerland the best country on earth.

mind if I ask an off topic question: Are computer science students in need in Switzerland? I want to move there after my master's degree.

Greetings from Germany

19 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Yes it works great on paper, but as everything he does, it's average and will cost so much.

How are the other things he's involved with average and costly?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

15 hours ago, TGJamieErin said:

I don't know why this thread is still open, it's highly misleading, this isn't happening. 

because Musk said it, therefore it's the truth .. duh! /s

On 7/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, NumLock21 said:

Elon is like 100 years too late on it.

Hyperloop!

sky2093lrg_1_8a257b12-4c69-478d-a936-671

No multi-track drifting?!?! Not even impressed.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, Bensemus said:

How are the other things he's involved with average and costly?

Hmmm teslas? They're very expensive and technically everyone could have done so. Other manufacturers haven't because they would have to sell those expensively, and I think they were right in thinking people wouldn't have bought it. People only buy teslas for the image.

Space X is the same. Every space agency has thought of it, the only difference is that governments didn't give them enough money to work on it. If anything this shows that public research is underfunded, since an average company can do it faster than they do.

9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Hmmm teslas? They're very expensive and technically everyone could have done so. Other manufacturers haven't because they would have to sell those expensively, and I think they were right in thinking people wouldn't have bought it. People only buy teslas for the image.

Space X is the same. Every space agency has thought of it, the only difference is that governments didn't give them enough money to work on it. If anything this shows that public research is underfunded, since an average company can do it faster than they do.

well the model 3 is coming and that one is 35000, the model s is super fast, loads of space, the safest car ever made, i cant see how its just for image.

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

well the model 3 is coming and that one is 35000, the model s is super fast, loads of space, the safest car ever made, i cant see how its just for image.

Cars that size,  even hybrid one, are around 25 000€ or less.

Yeah and it's also extra expensive. You could buy a BMW for way cheaper and the same or better driving experience for instance.

It's trendy to have one. It's for show. For instance, I know someone has one for when he goes out on official business, but when you talk to him about it, he tells you he reaaaally prefer his Porsche, and that he uses the Tesla because it feels green in the eyes of others. Just like MacBook were still being bought for super expensive with really old hardware until last refresh!

2 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Cars that size,  even hybrid one, are around 25 000€ or less.

Yeah and it's also extra expensive. You could buy a BMW for way cheaper and the same or better driving experience for instance.

It's trendy to have one. It's for show. For instance, I know someone has one for when he goes out on official business, but when you talk to him about it, he tells you he reaaaally prefer his Porsche, and that he uses the Tesla because it feels green in the eyes of others. Just like MacBook were still being bought for super expensive with really old hardware until last refresh!

the tesla can be a very fast car, but people love the engine sounds there is no way around that.

i see the future as being one where people commute with there electrical cars and use combustion cars in the night / weekend same as what happened to horses, 

its natural that a new tech is more expensive, it will take time for the tech to get less expensive, as battery production needs to ramp up, more R&D is put into developing newer better batteries.

On 7/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Ew public transport

Maybe it's gross, but if people decide to actually use it more we can reduce a lot of emissions and stuff.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270