CPU without attached cooling, shutdown- does it damage the chip?

I temporarily started the pc after a build without putting any liquid or air cooler on intel x299 CPU just to test something, but regretted  it. 

System  slowed down and throttled, even at idle, and shut itself down after a few minutes. Highest temp I saw was 100, not sure if it went over. 

Cpu runs fine without issue and stays cool with liquid cooling, but was any damage done? Or do these chips gave good thermal protection? 

It is possible to damage your chip doing that, but as long as everything runs fine with your cooler on then you are ok

2 minutes ago, rondocap said:

System  slowed down and throttled, even at idle, and shut itself down after a few minutes. Highest temp I saw was 100, not sure if it went over. 

thats the thermal protection. its fine.

11 minutes ago, rondocap said:

I temporarily started the pc after a build without putting any liquid or air cooler on intel x299 CPU just to test something, but regretted  it. 

Cpu runs fine without issue and stays cool with liquid cooling, but was any damage done? Or do these chips gave good thermal protection? 

25754022.jpg

6 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

25754022.jpg

Picture is broken

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just be glad that Intel will shut down your PC once it reaches high temps.

If it was like in the old days, your CPU would die.

I just can't understand how can someone forget to add cooler on CPU before turning it on lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I didn't forget, I just didn't have the proper bracket to attach to the x 299, and I wanted to see if the computer would power on because I had just installed a new motherboard. I did attach a fan pointed at the CPU, but it didn't  really work. 

I wouldn't do it again, it was one of those things you don't have experience with and then you  Learn not to do, ha. 

Everything is connected now and working perfectly, CPU temps are much lower than my 7700 K was, which surprised me 

28 minutes ago, rondocap said:

I didn't forget, I just didn't have the proper bracket to attach to the x 299, and I wanted to see if the computer would power on because I had just installed a new motherboard. I did attach a fan pointed at the CPU, but it didn't  really work. 

I wouldn't do it again, it was one of those things you don't have experience with and then you  Learn not to do, ha. 

Everything is connected now and working perfectly, CPU temps are much lower than my 7700 K was, which surprised me 

Next time just hold the cooler on the CPU by hand if its just to see if it will POST.

I did the same to an old server i was tinkering with. The slim tight case makes a air tunnel and forces the air down the server and across all the cooling.

I didn't realize that and just opened her up. The fans started screaming and then it turned itself off.

The front fans on this particular server did ALL the work, and used the case as a air tunnel.

Lesson Learned. Lesson Learned. Lmao