Can we have a LAN party in an Airplane?

IAmAndre
28 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

As long as they can prove everything operates then they should be allowed to bring it on the plane. For example, I'm pretty sure they ask you to open and turn on your laptop before you can carry it on the plane.

Yup, happened to em and they questioned me about a wobbly space bar :/

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

If you can get wifi Virtualization running on a laptop, do that. You won't even need a router as your laptop would be doing that. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

So the general consensus is that it is possible, and I might not even need a router for that. That's pretty neat. Now the question is would destroy the previous record (highLANder) ? :D

OH this is my 1000th post! I'm considering stoping posting for a moment just to enjoy this number :D

3 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

You could easily be banned from the Airplane with all these terrorist attacks going on and the like. Don't do it. You should not do this. There is a reason they ask you to put your devices into FLIGHT MODE. It's so you cannot connect to WiFi or your mobile network until you are out of the plane.

If you used Bluetooth you might be alright but whether or not you can do this with more than two people I'm not sure. I've hosted Bluetooth LAN sessions with other people before with ease.

Thats not exactly true. Many airlines have Wifi for business class and some even offer it (for high price) to economy as well. So so airplane mode mainly blocks usage of cellular networks. As not expert in these things, I don't know if they limit Wifi to accept only some standard over others. Like just a/b since its so small space and so few users.

Overall I don't think trying this on commercial flight is good idea. Or if you do it, and all electronics get full ban again, please let me know where you live. So I can come and kick your stupid ass for ruining flying for all of us.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You cant NOT play on the computer for a few hours?

Just watch ONE frigging movie mate, and order lots of alcoholic beverages.

If its an over the sea flight, will be 9+ hours then I can understand your need.

5 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

Last flight I made was on the 10th. No WiFi was advertised and flight mode HAD to be on.

Dunno about you but my Wi-Fi on my phone doesn't get turned off during flight mode. With my last flight on Austrian air they asked flight mode but I could still connect to the on board Wi-Fi system even tho it didn't work after that derp. 

@IAmAndre shouldn't a Ethernet from laptop a to b be just fine? Just bridge it? Or are we talking 2+ laptops?

1 hour ago, NLD1st said:

@IAmAndre shouldn't a Ethernet from laptop a to b be just fine? Just bridge it? Or are we talking 2+ laptops?

Well this is very hypothetical, I'm not really going to do it any time soon, as I said let's assume that I wanted to. That said, we would probably a group friends not necessarily sitting next to each other so WiFi would be the way to go. It's also more elegant that way.

2 hours ago, yathis said:

You cant NOT play on the computer for a few hours?

Just watch ONE frigging movie mate, and order lots of alcoholic beverages.

If its an over the sea flight, will be 9+ hours then I can understand your need.

Well I don't drink alcohol and most movies today really suck... Anyway, as I said this is very hypothetical.

The potential issues I see:

• Even though there's no proven instance of consumer electronics messing with airplane radios, I wouldn't take the chance with something that's relatively more powerful than your average laptop or cellphone regarding RF emissions (then again, stuff on the plane should be orders of magnitude more powerful). So basically, Ethernet only
  • Flight attendants though may get weirded out with cables running around. Plus you're supposed to keep aisle and seats clear of obstructions in case of emergencies. So unless you like running cables along the side under chairs and you can't have someone across the aisle connect...
  • Gaming requires plugging in, unless you like a lot of your performance lost because the battery cannot safely power the system to its fullest and you can only game for like one-two hours.
  • Plugging in is questionable, depending on how much power the AC plugs in planes provide (if you even have them in the first place). This could potentially put a strain on the electrical subsystem of airplane.
  • And you're going to be dumping lots of heat into the cabin. This would make the climate control work harder.

Well, one B|B|VERY IMPORTANT THINGB|B| when traveling is always bring a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter with you (like this https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Wire-Cable-PBAD3200-Adapter/dp/B005IRLRNE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500338341&sr=8-5&keywords=3+prong+to+2+prong+adapter ) Many planes have 3 prong plugs, but will disable the socket if a third prong is inserted, while others forego it entirely, also, if your power outlet doesn't work, try the other seats, yours may be broken. These 3 to 2 prong things are available at CVS and other convenience stores for cheap if you're in a hurry BTW, and will be very useful in most cars.

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

• Even though there's no proven instance of consumer electronics messing with airplane radios, I wouldn't take the chance with something that's relatively more powerful than your average laptop or cellphone regarding RF emissions (then again, stuff on the plane should be orders of magnitude more powerful). So basically, Ethernet only
  • Flight attendants though may get weirded out with cables running around. Plus you're supposed to keep aisle and seats clear of obstructions in case of emergencies. So unless you like running cables along the side under chairs and you can't have someone across the aisle connect...
  • Gaming requires plugging in, unless you like a lot of your performance lost because the battery cannot safely power the system to its fullest and you can only game for like one-two hours.
  • Plugging in is questionable, depending on how much power the AC plugs in planes provide (if you even have them in the first place). This could potentially put a strain on the electrical subsystem of airplane.
  • And you're going to be dumping lots of heat into the cabin. This would make the climate control work harder.

Well I can play Age of Empires forever on my convertible PC, and it wouldn't draw that much power or generate much heat. I'd probably use a WiFi connection or a simulated WiFi connection as someone suggested. It's good to know.

Grab a spare phone and turn on it's mobile hotspot then use that, or you might be able to even broadcast a wifi network from one of the laptops.

As long as you're not causing trouble for other passengers, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Definitely contact the airline first, although that could definitely turn into an unwanted situation with passengers/staff that don't know what you're doing.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just to clear things up  , wouldn't this clear up the record set by Linus & other back when they did Highlander , Highest elevation LAN party or something?? Call Guinness first?

Details separate people.

13 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Just to clear things up  , wouldn't this clear up the record set by Linus & other back when they did Highlander , Highest elevation LAN party or something?? Call Guinness first?

astronauts on the intl space station might have done lan party at some point already.

btw I've used my wifi harddisk to stream movie to my tablet because screw airline movies I bring my own.

I turn them all off during take off and landing though

17 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There are so many things wrong with this that I physically cringed.

EMI output of a router is negligible relative to 100+ wireless devices utilizing on-board wifi.

If there are outlets, generally every seat is provided with an outlet (i.e. hundreds of devices could be simultaneously charging).  Plugging in a laptop while gaming will not have any significant impact considering that the design load is much larger for the system.

The AC system uses the ambient air to cool the aircraft and the blower runs at a fixed speed.  You could start a fire in the cabin and the ECS will not work any harder than it normally does.

In response to the original post,

Just do it after they give the go ahead that you're allowed to use electronic devices.  Keep the router low key and no one will say a thing.

Just don't make the wifi network "galaxy note 7 hotspot" 

On 17/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, theninja35 said:

As long as they can prove everything operates then they should be allowed to bring it on the plane. For example, I'm pretty sure they ask you to open and turn on your laptop before you can carry it on the plane.

Never been asked to power on my laptop at any security check.

21 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

On a side-note...  I live right by that mountain, have hiked up it many times.

On 2017-7-17 at 8:54 PM, YedZed said:

Good luck getting that much bomb worthy equipment on a plane.

Lets see what's usually in my bag when I fly...

A mouse, a laptop, a tablet, either my mother's a6500 or my A65 DSLR, a battery bank, a bunch of cables for charging and whatnot, a USB ethernet adapter, a BT speaker, 2 USB chargers, sometimes a mech keyboard, sometimes a pair of headphones, sometimes PC parts...never been stopped before apart from sometimes in Schipol (Amsterdam Airport), they would tell me that next time, I should try to pack my bag less messy so it looks less like a bamb xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Lets see what's usually in my bag when I fly...

A mouse, a laptop, a tablet, either my mother's a6500 or my A65 DSLR, a battery bank, a bunch of cables for charging and whatnot, a USB ethernet adapter, a BT speaker, 2 USB chargers, sometimes a mech keyboard, sometimes a pair of headphones, sometimes PC parts...never been stopped before apart from sometimes in Schipol (Amsterdam Airport), they would tell me that next time, I should try to pack my bag less messy so it looks less like a bamb xD 

Tbh I've never even been in an airport *sadness*

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

OP should play the games on the flight entertainment system. You can link up with other seats and play against/ each other. That's heaps of fun, I tell ya.
If you squint hard enough it may even look like CS:GO :P

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768