Why is the Ryzen ranked so low?

3 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

I'd say maybe the Intel's single core performance is taking this score to a higher level.

As we know AMD is not that good at single core performance.

That's why Ryzen was lagging behind in gaming performance.

-- BSOD : ( --

I wouldn't call that list as being accurate or reliable.

Afaik userbenchmark mostly relies on single-core performance and I'm not really sure how they get their results.

My previous build got similar scores to my current one, which is odd to say the least (FX 4300 at 5GHz versus R5 1600 at 3.75GHz)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

27 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

I'd say maybe the Intel's single core performance is taking this score to a higher level.

As we know AMD is not that good at single core performance.

That's why Ryzen was lagging behind in gaming performance.

I really want a new CPU all I do really is gaming. I thought that most if not all popular titles now utilize multiple cores. Should I go for a Intel Core i7-7740X?

Just now, mattonfire said:

I really want a new CPU all I do really is gaming

Should I go for a Intel Core i7-7740X

God please no. That means buying a motherboard that's as expensive as the CPU and then using a CPU to disable half the features. Kabylake-X should not exist.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

God please no. That means buying a motherboard that's as expensive as the CPU and then using a CPU to disable half the features. Kabylake-X should not exist.

Doesn't that mean that if I want to upgrade in the future the non Kabylake-X board will become obselete stop functioning?

Doesn't that mean that if I want to upgrade in the future the non Kabylake-X board will become obselete stop functioning?

LGA1151 should become obsolete next year yes. But that doesn't mean it will stop working it just means there is no upgrade path. You do have an upgrade path with X299 but only more cores. You wouldn't be able to use the next generation coffee lake on either motherboard. So unless in the future you need a lot of cores for work use X299 won't suit you any better.

32 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

LGA1151 should become obsolete next year yes. But that doesn't mean it will stop working it just means there is no upgrade path. You do have an upgrade path with X299 but only more cores. You wouldn't be able to use the next generation coffee lake on either motherboard. So unless in the future you need a lot of cores for work use X299 won't suit you any better.

What would you do, I don't have lots of money at this point and I don't NEED a new CPU but it's only an i5 4690k and holding back in some applications e..g Battlegrounds.

18 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

What would you do, I don't have lots of money at this point and I don't NEED a new CPU but it's only an i5 4690k and holding back in some applications e..g Battlegrounds.

Go for 6700k, good for saving a few bucks.

Just now, Zackbare said:

Go for 6700k, good for saving a few bucks.

Even 6600k is good.

i think their x299 is a joke to be honest so expensive mobos on top of the cpus so i dived towards a 1151 system [despite some will cull me out for buying old overpriced"" tech] . . . doesn't make sense really, it isn't groundbreaking in layman terms apart the "more cores + thread" but imo 4/8 c/t is fine enough for me. and i dont see 8/16 any benefit for now that is. 

edit: personally if u into gaming consider 1151 lineup//7700k imo, if you can find them on sale [which i did and saved 160aud combined cpu mobo ram] it is a bargain not to be missed... 740aud vs 900aud...

edit: the sale was ebays 20% off thingy for EOFY if ppl were wondering before i get questioned*

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

31 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

If all you do is gaming get a 7700k and a Z270 motherboard.

If you do gaming, multitasking, content creating or streaming then consider a Ryzen 1600. It has 6 cores/12 threads and is only ~10-15% behind the 7700k in gaming for $100+ less (the difference cannot be seen unless using a high 120+Hz monitor). Also the socket is new and guaranteed for 4 years so you could upgrade without a new motherboard in 4 years time.

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

If all you do is gaming get a 7700k and a Z270 motherboard.

If you do gaming, multitasking, content creating or streaming then consider a Ryzen 1600. It has 6 cores/12 threads and is only ~10-15% behind the 7700k in gaming for $100+ less (the difference cannot be seen unless using a high 120+Hz monitor). Also the socket is new and guaranteed for 4 years so you could upgrade without a new motherboard in 4 years time.

So you'd recommend Ryzen okay - fair dooze., which mobo then?

So you'd recommend Ryzen okay - fair dooze., which mobo then?

I actually recommended both ;) I just said if you want an upgrade path in the future that won't require a new motherboard then Ryzen is your only real choice.

Any decent B350 (not MSI) will be fine and allow overclocking. However if you are keeping a board for 4+ years you may want to consider a "premium" board to last longer. The AsRock Taichi and Asus Crosshair are both excellent choices and would be solid for years. A better motherboard will also squeeze the most out of your chip.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I actually recommended both ;) I just said if you want an upgrade path in the future that won't require a new motherboard then Ryzen is your only real choice.

Any decent B350 (not MSI) will be fine and allow overclocking. However if you are keeping a board for 4+ years you may want to consider a "premium" board to last longer. The AsRock Taichi and Asus Crosshair are both excellent choices and would be solid for years. A better motherboard will also squeeze the most out of your chip.

I would prefer to not have to change my motherboard too frequently - is this what you mean? ASRock Taichi

28 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

Even 6600k is good.

It actually is awful, people should stop thinking overclocking is a must, you're wasting money, much better get the cheapest h110m motherboard there is with the i7 7700 for the same if not cheaper price.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It actually is awful, people should stop thinking overclocking is a must, you're wasting money, much better get the cheapest h110m motherboard there is with the i7 7700 for the same if not cheaper price.

It won't last long though, not up-gradable.

It won't last long though, not up-gradable.

Why would it even have to be? the motherboard by itself is roughly 50bucks, by the time you want or need a new CPU (lets say around the time Canon Lake is here on the 10nm lithography) you can just get again the cheapest possible motherboard pair with the current locked i7 and done, this is the cheapest and best way to have that high end gaming of your dreams.

The gap between an i7 7700k @5.0ghz and the i7 7700 @4,2ghz is so damn small you will not even notice it while you're gaming, both are respectively the best CPUs for frames pushing regardless and neither will bottleneck any video card on the market.

Now the difference in how much you'll have to pay delidding, getting expensive good cooling, a good z270 motherboard is quite high and could mean the difference between getting a GTX 1080 to a GTX 1080ti for instance.

In my honest opinion you'd be much better off saving this money getting the cheapest h110m, stock cooling and the i7 7700 to allocate it to the best possible GPU instead of crippling your GPU in favor of those 0,8ghz that will not make as much difference as.

Also get a x299 for gaming is the stupidest thing you could do, HEDT is a heavy load truck not a Ferrari, the Ferrari is the i7 7700/7700k fastest possible, you'll spend a shit ton of money to get an i7 7740x which is the exact same thing and later upgrade to an i9 7900x which will also have the same gaming performance and the multi-treading multi-tasking of it will be most likely wasted.

Alternatively a b350+Ryzen 5 1600 also would work nice but for a gaming strict only rig I still favour the locked i7 7700.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

32 minutes ago, mattonfire said:

I would prefer to not have to change my motherboard too frequently - is this what you mean? ASRock Taichi

Yes I meant buying a better board would last you longer. Yes that is the one I referred to. That or the Crosshair up to you :) 

On 7/17/2017 at 3:43 PM, Princess Cadence said:

-snip-

It's terribly annoying that multiple people are arguing and I don't know who to go with. You're saying go for a i7 7700 without overclocking features and get a cheap board without overclocking features, right?

On 7/17/2017 at 3:17 PM, tom_w141 said:

-snip-

You're saying that 4 thread CPU is bad in 2017. 

I pretty much only game, word applications maybe some rendering a few times but time isn't an issue for me. I don't need top speed, I do multi task applications since I do a lot of project manager things.

Someone please give me a solid THIS ONE xD

1 minute ago, mattonfire said:

It's terribly annoying that multiple people are arguing and I don't know who to go with. You're saying go for a i7 7700 without overclocking features and get a cheap board without overclocking features, right?

Pretty much, best value in my opinion, I don't see as worth the extra expensive cost to get and overclock an i7 7700k to 5ghz, either you go the i7 7700 cheapening all you can or go Ryzen 7 1700 on a b350.

Personal Desktop":

On 7/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, tom_w141 said:

I'd like to add to this somewhat Gigabyte has the hottest VRM temps on their b350 boards. Unless you buy a 4 core ryzen b350 boards simply aren't good enough for 1.4v temps go to 150+C on actual vrm temps. 

However the ASRock Taichi is very nice probably the best VRM temps and components on x370

Okii, I should go for a i7 7700k, £10 or so in it. Which board should I get - I think the ASRock Taichi is a tad expensive for something I will replace in a year or so.