Teen got electrocuted and died for using her phone in the shower while charging it...

GoodBytes
1 minute ago, Brainless906 said:

This is true but only a requirement for new homes.

I've lived in more than my fair share of houses with ungrounded outlets that wouldnt pass inspection but havent been changed as having inspections done after initial green light on building completion when it was not a requirement.

Houses with out dated electrical are quite commonplace in the US of A sadly

Actually, depending on where you live, it CAN pass inspection. Many of older homes have grounded only the electrical box, which was deem acceptable with the introduction of the ground wiring. In Japan, they don't have ground in the wall plugs, only the electric box until recently, where new homes must have 3 prongs plug where you have the added ground (looks the same as the North America outlets)

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

100ma can kill you. 

And what is the voltage needed for those 100mA to breakthru your skin even when wet ? 

Usual human skin resistance is anywhere from 1kOhm for wet skin , to 50kOhm or even more for dry skin . If we take the rated operating voltage of that charger which is 5V , and use the worst case scenario of 1kOhm for skin resistance , you get 0.005A of DC Current , or 5mA which is trivial . 

Take the 20V i see people throwing around as the "fast charger" voltage , mind you my Honor 8 has a fast charge of 9V quoted on the charger , but thats a whole other story . 

20V thru the same 1kOhm resistance is 20mA of DC Current .  Which is in the danger territory , but you still didnt account for the voltage drop that happens in the actual water , or the internal resistance of the human body 

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

She must have been shocked to find out you can't plug your phone into the wall and take it into the shower. People this stupid deserve to be charged with something.

21 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

the girl was 14 , give her a break . 

5V DC can't kill you and neither can 20V . Sure , it wasn't the smartest idea , but she didn't deserve to die for it . 

It's extremely likely something else went wrong . As said before , i can imagine any number of scenarios where this could have happened that don't require having a live outlet in the shower . It was a household accident .

Because she was 14 . A kid . And people here are yelling natural selection for something that likely was just a regular household accident . It's disgusting . 

You're disgusting for protecting those that lack common sense, and instead of trying to teach them, you're here going all protective mode on it. 14, so what if she's 14, 34, 54, or 94. If anyone don't learn these basic life lesson, like water and electricity don't mix, where is can cause injury or worse kill you. They will pay the ultimate price sooner or later. I bet some of us here already know that water and electricity don't mix at a much younger age that she is, this is thanks to our parents for teaching it to us.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, ColonelThunder said:

And what is the voltage needed for those 100mA to breakthru your skin even when wet ? 

Usual human skin resistance is anywhere from 1kOhm for wet skin , to 50kOhm or even more for dry skin . If we take the rated operating voltage of that charger which is 5V , and use the worst case scenario of 1kOhm for skin resistance , you get 0.005A of DC Current , or 5mA which is trivial . 

Take the 20V i see people throwing around as the "fast charger" voltage , mind you my Honor 8 has a fast charge of 9V quoted on the charger , but thats a whole other story . 

20V thru the same 1kOhm resistance is 20mA of DC Current .  Which is in the danger territory , but you still didnt account for the voltage drop that happens in the actual water , or the internal resistance of the human body 

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml This coupled with a fast charger can kill you. 9v is more than enough.

YyNBg0t.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

i don't see you point . 200mA is definitely lethal across the heart , but that amount of current can only go through you body if the voltage is sufficiently high ( WAY over 5V ). that's ohm's law , and it's the reason why you don't die when you touch the 2 terminals of a battery .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Actually, depending on where you live, it CAN pass inspection. Many of older homes have grounded only the electrical box, which was deem acceptable with the introduction of the ground wiring. In Japan, they don't have ground in the wall plugs, only the electric box until recently, where new homes must have 3 prongs plug where you have the added ground (looks the same as the North America outlets)

My apartment was built in 1922 and only the kitchen, which has a more recent renovation and where a proper breaker box was installed, has ground.  All the other outlets in the apartment have no ground and all my Surge protectors make that angry LED go off.  Despite having no ground, the outlets themselves are three prong and the ONLY thing that's illegal about this is that any three prong outlet that doesn't really have a ground connection are supposed to be marked 'No Equipment Ground'.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Your disgusting for protecting those that lack common sense, and instead of trying to teach them, you're here going all protective mode on it. 14, so what if she's 14, 34, 54, or 94. If anyone don't learn these basic life lesson, like water and electricity don't mix, where is can cause injury or worse kill you. They will pay the ultimate price sooner or later. I bet some of us here already know that water and electricity don't mix at a much younger age that she is, this is thanks to our parents for teaching it to us.

you're.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/JackHsu.shtml This coupled with a fast charger can kill you. 9v is more than enough.

YyNBg0t.png

And again i ask , what is the voltage needed to push the "fatal" current thru the human body , more acurately thru the heart ? 

Im not sure if you are trolling , or dont have an idea of how voltage , resistance and current relate to each other ? 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

3 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

And again i ask , what is the voltage needed to push the "fatal" current thru the human body , more acurately thru the heart ? 

Im not sure if you are trolling , or dont have an idea of how voltage , resistance and current relate to each other ? 

I put at the top of the image a coment about 9v, which would be enough, can can be found in fast chargers.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Despite all the safety socket and building codes....there is only so much engineers can do to protect ignorant people. People should be responsible to their own lives. 

The girl's death is very unfortunate. But no other person could be blamed for this.

It's sad knowing so many people who are ignorant to electrical safety. I had a housemate who just loved using absolute shite appliances (chinese crap), thinking they were great deal as they were so cheap.....Nearly burned down the house a couple of times...

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

I put at the top of the image a coment about 9v, which would be enough, can can be found in fast chargers.

Okay .. il bite . 

9V at best , thru the 1kOhm contact resistance of the human skin when wet gives you 9mA , which wont do jack . Especially when DC is in question , and this is under perfect conditions , where you dont account for the voltage drop in the water , or the internal resistance of the human body . 

And regarding the water , it is a better conductor than the human skin / body (anywhere from a couple to hundreds of ohms ), and as we know , current likes the path of least resistance , at which point unless the girl held exposed 9V lines from the charger ( still nothing would happen ) , the current would go thru the water , not thru the girl . Again , at which point the charger would cut the current because 9V thru the worst case scenario 5 ohms of the water is 1,8A , which is over what the charger can handle . 

Il say again , either the outlet got wet , and shorted out , or the charger malfunctioned and passed thru mains voltage to the unfortunate girl . There is no way that charger by itself can kill a person . 

If you are still not convinced , well there is not alot i can do about it , heck there is a small sea of youtube videos about this topic . 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

52 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

If you are still not convinced , well there is not alot i can do about it , heck there is a small sea of youtube videos about this topic . 

"Either AC or DC currents can cause fibrillation of the heart at high enough levels. This typically takes place at 30 mA of AC (rms, 60 Hz) or 300 – 500 mA of DC."

I guess she probably happened to have a weaker heart that couldn't handle the current from the charger.  Froze her heart up long enough for it to lose its shit.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

"Either AC or DC currents can cause fibrillation of the heart at high enough levels. This typically takes place at 30 mA of AC (rms, 60 Hz) or 300 – 500 mA of DC."

I guess she probably happened to have a weaker heart that couldn't handle the current from the charger.  Froze her heart up long enough for it to lose its shit.

Well , you kinda answered your own "question" there . 300-500mA of DC is far cry from the even worst case scenario of 20mA . 

Im not debating whether x amount of current is lethal / can be lethal , im debating the point that a properly working phone charger cannot be blamed for what happend .

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

It is for this reason I have never trusted having an outlet next to a sink. One drop of water I feel like could set shit on fire. It's irrational, but safer

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

a 14 year old doesn`t know water and electricity don`t mix? I knew that waaaaay before I was a teenager, and it wasn`t something learned in school, a  parent with half a brain will teach a child, especially when that child reaches an age where they will be using the electric outlets unsupervised

Parents end up suing company who made phone because it didn't list that charging phone while using in the shower would cause potential fatal shock resulting in death...

Is what we'll hear about next.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

16 minutes ago, Colonel D said:

a 14 year old doesn`t know water and electricity don`t mix? I knew that waaaaay before I was a teenager, and it wasn`t something learned in school, a  parent with half a brain will teach a child, especially when that child reaches an age where they will be using the electric outlets unsupervised

Well, no, you can safely bet she understood that water and electricity don't mix.  It's that she arrogantly believed that she could keep the charger what what appears to be the AC extension cable she was using out of the water.  I'd even bet money that this wasn't the first time she had done it and everything worked out the time before.

This is how people die of a lot of 'accidents'.  They create scenarios that have more risk than they appreciate or they overestimate how effective the steps they took to mitigate those risks were.  This is how people break arms when they use a rolling chair to stand on to change a light bulb.  This is how people fly out of the bed of pickup trucks.  This is how people drown unattended in pools because their friends were gone 'for just a minute'.  This is how cars get smashed into racing a train across a level crossing.  This is how people fall asleep with candles burning and the house catches fire.  (My mother did this one.  Scented candle in a jar type deal, the jar suddenly burst in the middle of the night)  Thankfully the damage was minimal.  

People GET that fire, and gravity and electricity can hurt you.  What they don't get that it's not nearly as safe, in a given situation, as they are assuming it to be.

This is a good many of people can tell you a story that basically ends with 'In retrospect, it was stupid and dangerous, but nothing bad happened so whatever'.

BTW, mine?  Me and my friends stole my parents rental car while my parents were out of town.  Our actual car got wrecked the other week so we had a rental from the insurance company but it was parked while my parents were out on a house hunting trip for a week.  Being a rental car, it was only insured for drivers over 25.  Me and my dumbass teenage friends did not appreciate this.  So even if we'd just gotten pulled over, even if we hadn't 'stolen' it, we kinda did since we were all well under 25.  If we'd wrecked? That'd have been a screwed up situation.  But we just saw it as a car, that my parents were allowed to have, that we 'borrowed'.  Me and my friends looked back as adults and realized that it was pretty stupid.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

BTW, mine?  Me and my friends stole my parents rental car while my parents were out of town.  Our actual car got wrecked the other week so we had a rental from the insurance company but it was parked while my parents were out on a house hunting trip for a week.  Being a rental car, it was only insured for drivers over 25.  Me and my dumbass teenage friends did not appreciate this.  So even if we'd just gotten pulled over, even if we hadn't 'stolen' it, we kinda did since we were all well under 25.  If we'd wrecked? That'd have been a screwed up situation.  But we just saw it as a car, that my parents were allowed to have, that we 'borrowed'.  Me and my friends looked back as adults and realized that it was pretty stupid.

There`s a difference between driving a car without consent and taking a charger near water. Driving a car you don`t really think about crashing until after (it was stupid but I`ve done similar), bring electricity near water you know it won`t end well. I do agree though, she knew better, but people are stupid especially kids

6 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

3. The outlets were not gfci. The power would have cut immediately to the outlet. Where I live every outlet within a certain distance from water is required to be this sort of outlet.

Most chargers don't have a ground connection actually... All mine don't anyway.

Just now, Colonel D said:

There`s a difference between driving a car without consent and taking a charger near water. Driving a car you don`t really think about crashing until after (it was stupid but I`ve done similar), bring electricity near water you know it won`t end well. I do agree though, she knew better, but people are stupid especially kids

And she most likely had no intention to actually bring it INTO the water.  It was probably sitting on the toilet or or the assembly of the AC extension and DC adapter were on the toilet with only the phone on the tub edge.  Somehow accident she managed to pull enough in the water that it ended her life.

And like I said, that's what people do, they think "I got this, no probs."  ...And then they fall of the roof and land on the fence.  Or a million other ways that people die 'stupidly' even though 'nothing bad happened every time before'.

Regarding the voltage, some chargers* may well be 5v between the output pins, but are actually mains voltage with reference to input ground/neutral. Combine that with a phones with grounded (to the charging cable) metal backs and you've got an accident waiting to happen if your body goes to earth while holding the plugged in phone - which will probably happen if you're in the bath, especially if the drain is earthed. Add water splashes and high humidity/steam, and any small (again not to code) air gaps between "5v" and mains can easily go conductive.

Not that that's guaranteed to be what happened in this case, but you can't assume that it's only 5v (or 20v) with reference to ground.

Source: bigclivedotcom on Youtube.

*Usually cheap Chinese ones that aren't necessarily up to code.

iv worked outdoors with electricity in the rain. If you are soaked in water it is guaranteed you will get shocked. I would say she was  electrocuted by plugging the charger into the wall while soaking wet

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_