Teen got electrocuted and died for using her phone in the shower while charging it...

GoodBytes
4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

well I know they've worked in a few cases already, and I do think they're installed properly. My landlord is pretty great with electrical stuff since it was related to his career, and I'm pretty confident anything he did was done right. New breaker (and I do remember him mentioning how it's grounded, but he enjoys long technical explinations that often pass in one ear and out the other), and I think all the wiring for the new parts was installed by him. It's on some parts of the hose with 2 prong plugs where I"m forced to use cheaters that worries me (parts of the house where he didn't tear out the walls), and the fact that one of poles outside causes brown power and outages frequently. He actually provides me with a generator that can we wired into the house I've had to reply on some winters. AEP did do something to the pole recently that seems to have improved it, as in I don't lose my power with every wind storm now. I also suffer a lot of EMI here, and I'm not sure where it's coming from, and it causes certain Ethernet longer cables to drop packets and long cables in general to shock things.. (probably the fuckin pole, it's that's side of the house)

I do have most of my stuff on a UPS, but I can only assume that protects against outages (it has done great there) and brownouts, but not spikes without proper grounding. I am thinking of having him redo some of the wiring because of that, I just have to find a time when I'm ok with ripping my house up and have enough time to help him. 

Are you directly under major transmission lines?  Because that is the only way I can imagine enough current being induced in ethernet cables.  Does the ethernet cable shock devices when they are only connected to known good power points with protection? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Are you directly under major transmission lines?  Because that is the only way I can imagine enough current being induced in ethernet cables.  Does the ethernet cable shock devices when they are only connected to known good power points with protection? 

yes. I am right under a pole. As far as I know and it's been explained to me corrosion had something to do with it, but who know it looks like a mes and I'm pretty certain the apartment complex next to me did their own cable install and they stapled coils of excess coaxial to it. Hell even my internet box outside has its power cord directly wired to the pole and not my house, and tech support on the phone didn't know what to make of that as far as me resetting the box lol.  It's a dumpster fire from top to bottom really, however after AEP did something to it, I have yet to see a blackout in a few months (though we haven't had major weather) and I haven't noticed as much emi. Like I can use Bluetooth 75% of the time now and wifi works in the closest room again. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@mr moose

I just happened to have a picture from when I patched a leak in my roof a few month ago (landlords gonna get a steel roof soon, fk yea)

ltRKSe6.jpg

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yes. I am right under a pole. As far as I know and it's been explained to me corrosion had something to do with it, but who know it looks like a mes and I'm pretty certain the apartment complex next to me did their own cable install and they stapled coils of excess coaxial to it. Hell even my internet box outside has its power cord directly wired to the pole and not my house, and tech support on the phone didn't know what to make of that as far as me resetting the box lol.  It's a dumpster fire from top to bottom really, however after AEP did something to it, I have yet to see a blackout in a few months (though we haven't had major weather) and I haven't noticed as much emi. Like I can use Bluetooth 75% of the time now and wifi works in the closest room again. 

That's nasty.  When you said pole I imagined a normal power pole (maybe slightly overloaded like a south korean one), not transmission lines.  Sounds to me like you need to move.  I live semi rural, I am sure the only reason I have wifi/internet issues is because I pissed off god somehow.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

That's nasty.  When you said pole I imagined a normal power pole (maybe slightly overloaded like a south korean one), not transmission lines.  Sounds to me like you need to move.  I live semi rural, I am sure the only reason I have wifi/internet issues is because I pissed off god somehow.

well I just added a pic. It's not transmission lines, just a bad pole. Our transmission lines are a different story, my section of town loses power far more frequently on the whole than any other section 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

well I just added a pic. It's not transmission lines, just a bad pole 

Just saw, Damn, that is single phase and street voltage.  That should not be causing EMI issues, dirty brownouts were likely do to the lack of phases and number of people it is feeding, maybe fixing a slight insulation issue would have helped.  If someone ever manages to explain why it is causing the issues, I 'd love to know.

EDITED.

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Just saw, Damn, that is single phase and street voltage.  That should not be causing EMI issues, dirty brownouts were likely do to the lack of phases and number of people it is feeding, maybe fixing a slight insulation issue would have helped.  If someone ever manages to explain why it is causing the issues, I 'd love to know.

EDITED.

I'd love to know too, but the positive is I am planning to do something about it. I have a separate garage that has 2 lines on the breaker going to it, and its own breaker (and I believe its own ground rod?). After some minor roof repairs (mainly reinforcing some shitty joists someone cut through) I'm gonna insulate the walls and hang drywall on the larger side of it, along with that I'm gonna have the landlord sure up the wiring in there, make sure everything is grounded PROPERLY so I can run everything off of a battery backup that actually will protect me from surges, and move most of my stuff into there. Yes I'm investing money in a rental. Not much, but a months rent worth, and with as small as the place is it's worth it. I love where I live and my landlord has been great and he lives down the street. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'd love to know too, but the positive is I am planning to do something about it. I have a separate garage that has 2 lines on the breaker going to it, and its own breaker. After some minor roof repairs (mainly reinforcing some shitty joists someone cut through) I'm gonna insulate the walls and hang drywall on the larger side of it, along with that I'm gonna have the landlord sure up the wiring in there, make sure everything is grounded PROPERLY so I can run everything off of a battery backup that actually will protect me from surges, and move most of my stuff into there. Yes I'm investing money in a rental. Not much, but a months rent worth, and with as small as the place is it's worth it. I love where I live and my landlord has been great and he lives down the street. 

If your comfortable there and it will be a long term thing then that is not silly.  I just noticed that is a some janky old transformer hanging of the side of that pole, I didn't notice it at first. My guess is that would be the source of your EMI issues.  But I definitely think single phase is what is causing blackouts and brown outs in your area.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If your comfortable there and it will be a long term thing then that is not silly.  I just noticed that is a some janky old transformer hanging of the side of that pole, I didn't notice it at first. My guess is that would be the source of your EMI issues.  But I definitely think single phase is what is causing blackouts and brown outs in your area.

yah I wouldn't know about that, thankfully my landlord would. In one ear and out the other, I'm sure he's explained it before. AEP is such a shitty company, one day they shut me off and the guy who came to run me back on told me it happened to him too, while employed with them. I suppose I could learn more about the problem then complain but I'd doubt they'd do anything about it. That shitty looking garage on that apartment next to me is a stand out in the neighborhood, where I live is decently nice (and property taxes reflect that, our township is salty) and we want that building torn down so bad. He actually took pictures of my house with it in the frame and somehow got the property taxes cut in nearly half by somehow using it to deflate the assessed value of my house. I know they are responsible for that bundle of wires and that falling conduit towards the bottom, and I know it's fucking with my internet connection as of late, but my ISP actually seems to help when I complain. Good internet here too, another reason to stay, can get 100/100 without comcast's cap. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

My landlord is pretty great with electrical stuff since it was related to his career, and I'm pretty confident anything he did was done right. New breaker (and I do remember him mentioning how it's grounded, but he enjoys long technical explinations that often pass in one ear and out the other), and I think all the wiring for the new parts was installed by him.

There's only two kinds of electricians; A safe electrician or a dead electrician ;).

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

There's only two kinds of electricians; A safe electrician or a dead electrician ;).

well he is an electrical engineer. That doesn't mean he's a professional installer, but he at least shouldn't' do anything stupid.

muh specs 

All parts black

I'm kind of confused though. Of course I wouldn't do that, but I thought smartphones were made out of non-conductive materials. For instance, my Moto G is in plastic. Did she touch the USB port?

10 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm kind of confused though. Of course I wouldn't do that, but I thought smartphones were made out of non-conductive materials. For instance, my Moto G is in plastic. Did she touch the USB port?

we know very little about what actually happened, suffice to say if she was using a cheap charger, had lots of bath salts in the water and no RCD. she wouldn't have had to touch the port, just get it wet.   For all we know she may have dropped a power cord straight in the bath too. 

6 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

"Officials say Coe took precautions to keep the cords dry, but they believe she was not aware of a significant area of fraying to that extension cord. Evidence shows she touched the frayed portion of the cord while she was in the bathtub leading to the electrocution." -from quoted source, at 1:10 in the video.

So it was just an extension cord with damaged insulation.

I'm going to hell for lauging at that xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I was going to make a joke about suddenly becoming hesitant about enjoying fresh toast in the shower, but then I started thinking about how far safety regulations have come regarding electricity. Bathroom outlets all (should) have those safety cutoffs that immediately cut power when any electric surge occurs.

@IAmAndre

This post is a lot more informative than mine.

10 hours ago, CaptainGunny said:

For those curious, it would appear the path the electricity took to electrocute her was from the frayed power lead through her into the bathwater (likely earthed through the plumbing).   Earlier assumptions I made about the charger being dodgy are likely wrong/irrelevant. 

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K