Etherium mining is dead

Kevo05s
25 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

Please don't tell me you believed that.  You just took the word of a miner (who has a vested interest) because its what you wanted to hear.  Thats like eating up whatever BS a used car salesmen tells you. 

Even if "many" miners were underclocking, there are many that wouldn't but would cranck that shit as much as possible and just want to pass the buck on to a sucker, especially those that weren't paying for the electrcity.

Here is what I do know for sure though; everyone of them selling will either tell you they weren't being used for mining, and/or that they're the "good guys" that were mining responsibly.

The only thing you can do is assume they're all lying out of their ass.

Try to be skeptical.

I'm not much of a miner since it is off and on with my main rig, no investment.

Always be careful and see how many cards someone has listed to see if they are being truthful. My 290 didn't say it was used for mining but it was obvious when the seller has more than 10 of them. Polaris is much cooler than Hawaii so even overclocked I wouldn't be worried unless it was a blower cooler. 

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You probably spent half that buying it new... Good job /s :dry:

I don't get it... how is selling it for double what he paid bad?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't get it... how is selling it for double what he paid bad?

It isn't bad, it's just that I don't find it fair...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

It isn't bad, it's just that I don't find it fair...

lol it's completely fair, it's literally called a "fair market value" :P 

Can't blame people for selling things at what people are willing to pay.  If you're gonna be mad, be mad at the people willing to pay that ridiculous price, since they're the ones showing that that's the price people should be selling at.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Can't blame people for selling things at what people are willing to pay.  If you're gonna be mad, be mad at the people willing to pay that ridiculous price, since they're the ones showing that that's the price people should be selling at.

Still, people that are looking to buy an RX480 (or something like that) are forced to pay more because some dude decided to sell his GPU for more because "mining".

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Exactly this. I was able to upgrade from a GTX 1070 to a GTX 1080 for $20.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

Still, people that are looking to buy an RX480 (or something like that) are forced to pay more because some dude decided to sell his GPU for more because "mining".

No one's forced to pay that though, if people just collectively say "no, that's too much", the price will come down because they won't sell.  The price is the way it is because people are willing to pay that.  It's the same reason randomware still exists, and the reason buying up all of something (tickets to an event, new PC part, etc.) and then reselling them brand new at a higher price happens - someone is willing to pay.

I just sold my RX 580 yesterday while the price is on the roof. :P

I'll purchase one again maybe in a week. :) 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No one's forced to pay that though, if people just collectively say "no, that's too much", the price will come down because they won't sell.  The price is the way it is because people are willing to pay that.  It's the same reason randomware still exists, and the reason buying up all of something (tickets to an event, new PC part, etc.) and then reselling them brand new at a higher price happens - someone is willing to pay.

My personal favorite: the reason apts are 6k for a tiny studio in manhattan. Those units have what are called fair market rent

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

My personal favorite: the reason apts are 6k for a tiny studio in manhattan. Those units have what are called fair market rent

yes lol

Problems come in when you have two or more very different populations vying over the same product, it becomes very possible for one group to set a value the other would never pay, such as right now with the hardcore miners vs sane people, and in Vancouver with foreign buyers vs people who actually live there, etc. (I assume your example is similar)

3 hours ago, GatioH said:

Hah! I just sold my rx480 last night for $390!

Wow. That's about what I sold my 1070 for a couple months back 

pleaseberealpleaseberealpleasebereal

I need me a 1060 sooooo badly now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

3 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

I am personally not worried.

As a new Ethereum miner, i knew ETH was going to go down fairly soon due to the extreme increase. It is called a correction. It will certainly go back up though. Ethereum mining will still be around for another 4 months at least.

However, the decrease in value is the main thing. At the moment, i am still making a small profit with the crash and my rig isn't even complete yet. What you have to realise, ALL cryptocurrencies have fallen, not just Ethereum.

If it was JUST Ethereum, then i would be worried. I can see the currency stabilising back to $300+ in August after the big Bitcoin announcement (Depending on the announcement, obviously).

ETH will recover value but its difficulty will only go up. Soon it will become inefficient for mining on current GPUs. This doesn't stop the whole trend though... ZEC for example is fine. But if ETH dies then at least that's a lot of the AMD cards back to normal price.

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, my board can do Crossfire I suppose. Maybe if GPUs end up being $120 or lower, I might snag two and a new PSU. Blender Cycles had (quite recently) started using OpenCL (minus a couple features vs CUDA), so two Radeon cards should be quite fast. 

H chipsets cant divide the CPU lanes though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150#Second_generation

4 hours ago, Kevo05s said:

As someone who doesn't mine, but does PC mods for a hobby, I can't wait to get these miner's cards for cheap on ebay! 

Yup, looking forward to watercooling a cheap Polaris 10 card for funsies.  Don't even intend to overclock the thing.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 hours ago, AndreLebrao said:

If ethereum mining will still be around for 4 months or so, this means that gpu prices will remaing sky high for all this period?

I don't think so. People who're already mining will continue to mine, but as Eth and other currencies are at low values and high difficulties that will deter would-be buyers from setting up new mining rigs. So GPU supply should become a bit better in the coming month or two. That said it might not come back to full normal.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

eh bought a used 970 for 150$ a month ago dont care for 2-3 years...

Demand for GPUs at work hasn't slowed down any. Think this may be a sign of what is to come, versus what is here right now.

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

So I have a 980Ti... has this card been inflated due to mining as well? Or was it not a desirable card? I could sell it for maybe $400 and buy a GTX 1070 when they are dumped for cheap in a couple of days / weeks?

Or should I just hold on to it?

I don't think 980 Ti prices really changed much. They did sell out kind of from people buying them all (Due to the 1070s costing too much).

Depending on how much of a overclock your 980 Ti gets, you might actually see reduced performance (Very little though...they're neck and neck for gaming...but in rendering, the 980 Ti wins hands down) if you get a 1070. I had two 1070s, OC'd to 2.1 GHz, and they both lose to my 980 Ti (1.5 GHz). The 980 Ti runs hotter though.

I'm just happy I managed to sell off my 1070s for $475 on ebay.

I don't think this is the end of mining though...I have a feeling it's going to go back up. Or at least it'll be around for 2-3 months still.

Segwit is a coming.

Basically there is a disagreement of sorts between the people who run the mining pools and the bitcoin core community that could lead to a split.

1st August is judgment day which decides if the spits a happening.

And as all cryptos are linked to Bitcoin for now when their is uncertainty with BTC the rest go to hell too.