USB 2.0 and 3.0 submerge

Hey guys,

I got a question, I got a project in which I have to submerge a USB 2.0 hub into a USB 3.0 hub. How am I supposed to do that? Can I just hook the D- from the 2.0 to the D- from the 3.0 and for the D+ the same? Or do I have to do something completely different?

I like to hear from u

Just now, Alaradia said:

what do you mean by submerge

Ehmm, connect them together

Just now, AntonDVries said:

Ehmm, connect them together

just plug the 2.o into the 3.0 or just remove one usb port and solder the usb 2.0 to one of the usb 3.0 port though i don't understand why you're doing this 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What exactly are you trying to do? You can just plug usb 2 into usb 3

I got a box, and the USB 3.0 OUT-ports are facing out of the box. The same for the USB 2.0, with the internals of the hubs still in the box. It looks kinda stupid if there is a cable coming from the 3.0 in the box again.

Just now, Alaradia said:

just plug the 2.o into the 3.0 or just remove one usb port and solder the usb 2.0 to one of the usb 3.0 port though i don't understand why you're doing this 

I got a box, and the USB 3.0 OUT-ports are facing out of the box. The same for the USB 2.0, with the internals of the hubs still in the box. It looks kinda stupid if there is a cable coming from the 3.0 in the box again.

picture of the box? model?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

picture of the box? model?

Here ya go, I'm going to cut holes for the hubs in the backwall of the box next to the small hole

sdklfj.png

Here ya go, I'm going to cut holes for the hubs in the backwall of the box next to the small hole

sdklfj.png

so your making this.

WHy not just only use a usb 3 hub.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

so your making this.

WHy not just only use a usb 3 hub.

Okay, ehmm. My computer is behind me, I have cables running from one end of my room to the other. I don't want dozens of cables running behind my bed so I'm just using 1 USB 3.0 cable from my computer to this box. And my 3.0 hub got only 4 ports, and I got more usb devices than ports on the usb hub, so I thought I should use an old hub I had laying around. I hope this makes sense

Okay, ehmm. My computer is behind me, I have cables running from one end of my room to the other. I don't want dozens of cables running behind my bed so I'm just using 1 USB 3.0 cable from my computer to this box. And my 3.0 hub got only 4 ports, and I got more usb devices than ports on the usb hub, so I thought I should use an old hub I had laying around. I hope this makes sense

so plug the usb 2 hub into the usb 3 hub

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so plug the usb 2 hub into the usb 3 hub

Imagine this being one whole wall with two holes for the hubs right? Doesnt it looks stupid when there's a cable going from the 3.0 to get back in the box to feed the 2.0? I thought about it and I wanted to avoided it

MaxthonSnap20170710185325.png

Imagine this being one whole wall with two holes for the hubs right? Doesnt it looks stupid when there's a cable going from the 3.0 to get back in the box to feed the 2.0? I thought about it and I wanted to avoided it

MaxthonSnap20170710185325.png

You can solder the port at a different angle if you really want so there is no external cable.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can solder the port at a different angle if you really want so there is no external cable.

Okay, but can you connect the power and the D-/+ and ground wires from the 2.0 to the power and the D-/+ and ground wires from the 3.0?

6 minutes ago, AntonDVries said:

Okay, but can you connect the power and the D-/+ and ground wires from the 2.0 to the power and the D-/+ and ground wires from the 3.0?

yep

The easiest way would be to desolder  one of the USB 3 connectors and solder 2 wires to the D+ and D- wires going to that usb port. The ground and 5v wires you can wire anywhere you have ground and 5v on that board, doesn't have to be under that specific port..

You can use a multimeter in continuity mode to figure out where each contact in the usb 3 connector is soldered to the circuit board. Put one probe on one pin and then one probe on the circuit board (if it's through hole connector, most likely). You don't care about the ones in the front, as those are the signal wires for the usb 3 (5gbps) speeds, you want to figure out where the D+ and D- lines go in the back:

usb2.jpg.6d833f9b42ee89c258df8a85d348cc7b.jpg

usb1.png.7138ebc820aa3626940df6c96e15d84e.png

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

The easiest way would be to desolder  one of the USB 3 connectors and solder 2 wires to the D+ and D- wires going to that usb port. The ground and 5v wires you can wire anywhere you have ground and 5v on that board, doesn't have to be under that specific port..

You can use a multimeter in continuity mode to figure out where each contact in the usb 3 connector is soldered to the circuit board. Put one probe on one pin and then one probe on the circuit board (if it's through hole connector, most likely). You don't care about the ones in the front, as those are the signal wires for the usb 3 (5gbps) speeds, you want to figure out where the D+ and D- lines go in the back:

usb2.jpg.6d833f9b42ee89c258df8a85d348cc7b.jpg

usb1.png.7138ebc820aa3626940df6c96e15d84e.png

Okay, and if I want to keep 4 usb 3.0 ports from the 3.0 hub, instead of 3, is it possible to connect the wires from the 2.0 hub to the 3.0 hub? So you basically have two usb hubs running through 1 cable. This way I can keep 4 USB 3.0 ports. See example:

Naamloos.png