The beautiful art of a processor die.

This is a very odd question but, the beautiful rainbow of colors we think of when we hear the words "silicon die" isn’t actually everywhere, or so I’ve seen. I don’t have much experience so this may be a stupid question. But where is that beautiful piece of silicon on an Intel/AMD processor? You remove the heat spreader and you see... a shiny grey thing, not infinitely beautiful rainbows.

So, can someone tell me, how do I bring out the beautiful rainbow of an intel processor?

(and yes something old that i don't care about destroying.)

The very shiny piece under the heat spreader covers the die. It is very thin so you don't wanna go about scratching it because more than likely int'll also scratch the die.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I think you have to take the head spreader off, then you'll see the actual CPU die. You then would have to remove the CPU die from the PCB (I think) which I would have absolutely no idea how to do that.

If you have a CPU, just try. Follow normal delidding instructions to take the head spreader off, then see what you can do with the part below there. Maybe a razor blade to cut it off? If you aren't afraid of damaging it, then what is the worst that can happen? :)

The colors are there in images just to highlight the physical architecture of the chip.  The die itself isn't actually colored that way.  The same materials are used throughout the chip (Silicon, Silicon Dioxide, Copper, etc.) and wouldn't be rainbow colored at all.

At least as far as I know.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

forget the rainbow colors. You're not getting to those without smashing the die, and there won't be much left of the colorful stuff after that.

The colors are there in images just to highlight the physical architecture of the chip.  The die itself isn't actually colored that way.  The same materials are used throughout the chip (Silicon, Silicon Dioxide, Copper, etc.) and wouldn't be rainbow colored at all.

At least as far as I know.

Have you ever seen a silicon wafer? its very shiny and has a rainbow halogram effect.

I think you have to take the head spreader off, then you'll see the actual CPU die. You then would have to remove the CPU die from the PCB (I think) which I would have absolutely no idea how to do that.

If you have a CPU, just try. Follow normal delidding instructions to take the head spreader off, then see what you can do with the part below there. Maybe a razor blade to cut it off? If you aren't afraid of damaging it, then what is the worst that can happen? :)

so basicly start SLOWLY sanding away at the grey shiny thing under the spreder?

If you hold a delidded Ivy/Haswell up to light in a certain way, you can see the intricate details of the die. It's quite pretty in person actually :wub: But the shiny layer is to protect it.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Have you ever seen a silicon wafer? its very shiny and has a rainbow halogram effect.

I haven't in person.  Good to know.  I assumed it was artificial as different diagrams have all sorts of different color schemes.

But yeah, I'm sure a protective material sits on the die in the final product.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

this is the best i can do 

2qnocp5.jpg

YES!!! THIS GUY GETS IT! Now, how you do this?

i took a razer blade and slowly pressed it in the corners between the metal plate and the pcb and worked my way around the cpu until i was able to pull the metal plate off.

but when i pulled it off the die split in two thats the top metal plate the pcb has the other half.

thats a pentium 4  HT. 3.2 GHZ  just a fun fact.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

How about just grinding it down with some fine sandpaper?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

But try to find an Intel one.

I thought it was referred to as a "wafer"? nonetheless pretty interesting, nice thread.

Thank you! Its my first ever!

i took a razer blade and slowly pressed it in the corners between the metal plate and the pcb and worked my way around the cpu until i was able to pull the metal plate off.

but when i pulled it off the die split in two thats the top metal plate the pcb has the other half.

thats a pentium 4  HT. 3.2 GHZ  just a fun fact.

i actually planned to do this with a Pentium 4. LOL! But I’ve removed heat spreaders (metal plate) from these and never had the die stick.

I’m thinking the best thing to do is to just do the same thing to the 2nd piece of metal as done to the first.

This is the image i have in my head...

_____Heat spreader

________________________/

|              __________              |

|              |   ______    |\            |

\_Die   \___Inner silvery bit.

Not my best work but you get the idea.

rainbow_5997c.jpg

You summoned me?.....

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

im convinced its the under side of the shiny grey thing im after. but i cant work out how to get to it im curently trying with a box cutter and a dremal. (edit) and sand paper.

sorry for the spelling, don't know why theres no spell check on this forum.

I have faild! after geting to the underside of what i belive to be the die, my technique rendered the die... not so beautiful.

this is the best i can do 

2qnocp5.jpg

How ray_p1 got his to do that remains a mystery to me, maby one day i will too see the glourious that is a bare, flawless intel die.    @.@

i may have been vary lucky i may try again to see what i can get next time.

what you need to understand is how one would see the rainbow colours on a silicon Die. think about a CD. there are millions of tiny lines etched on to the surface of the plastic materiel. these lines causes the light to split on to its different wave lengths causing the rainbow effect.

this is the same thing that happens on the processor die. there are millions if not billions of tiny (nano meters - manufacturing process determine this) traces and transistors that scatter the light on the same way a CD or millions of water particulars in the air does.

so if you can find the etched layers of a CPU die (which can be underneath the IHS and a layer of shiny silicon) you will see the rainbow effect

now also keep in mind that the pics you see on intel and AMD adds and stuff is take under special lighting conditions and camera equipment.

what you see with your naked eyed might be different. 

what you need to understand is how one would see the rainbow colours on a silicon Die. think about a CD. there are millions of tiny lines etched on to the surface of the plastic materiel. these lines causes the light to split on to its different wave lengths causing the rainbow effect.

this is the same thing that happens on the processor die. there are millions if not billions of tiny (nano meters - manufacturing process determine this) traces and transistors that scatter the light on the same way a CD or millions of water particulars in the air does.

so if you can find the etched layers of a CPU die (which can be underneath the IHS and a layer of shiny silicon) you will see the rainbow effect

now also keep in mind that the pics you see on intel and AMD adds and stuff is take under special lighting conditions and camera equipment.

what you see with your naked eyed might be different. 

i found this simple information by doing a google search, but thanks any way.