Where do you work (Not Creepy I Swear)

DisguisedDemise
4 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

My uncle is a paramedic, thank you for your service :P. Whats the new job, anything cool? Good Luck btw

HM Prison Service as a Prison Officer! More money and I should be able to help these guys more than I can now as I can point them to education as I volunteer as a Civilian Instructor in the Air Cadets and I enjoy that so putting my skills to better use, being a first responder will also help within the Prison as well.

Your uncle is the one who needs thanking! He has one of the most difficult jobs within the Ambulance Service! Thank him from me for his service!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

10 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

HM Prison Service as a Prison Officer! More money and I should be able to help these guys more than I can now as I can point them to education as I volunteer as a Civilian Instructor in the Air Cadets and I enjoy that so putting my skills to better use, being a first responder will also help within the Prison as well.

Your uncle is the one who needs thanking! He has one of the most difficult jobs within the Ambulance Service! Thank him from me for his service!

You have a heart of gold sir, hope you enjoy the job, be careful but make sure you enjoy your work. Hes amazing, hes so dedicated to his work that i barely see him :P 

13 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

It hasn't been easy for me to come up with a plan, recently had to deal with being depressed, having anxiety and being sleep deprived. Thankfully I've found medication that helps me sleep and makes bad thoughts easier to deal with. I'd be doing my 2nd high school year soon if it weren't for all those issues, but now I've switched program as I mentioned in the previous post, it feels like things in my life are back on the road.

Im glad youre back on track, just remember life likes to throw curveballs right in your face. So make it your job to throw one right back at life. I suffered/still suffer alot of social anxiety (who wouldve guessed) but the way anxiety works is that its worse the more you try to avoid it or fear it. I treat it as part of my every day life and just ignore it as best as i can. In awkward social interactions i still fine it difficult but its a hurdle ill cross at some point :P 

1 hour ago, Tibbles said:

In my 3rd year I will be out doing an internship...

In my experience, especially if one has been used to working before hand, an internship is a joke. Far better to get a real job in the industry if you can and work that in parallel with your studies - it's what I did. Moreover it removes the need for any gaps thus achieving two purposes; firstly shortening the path to completion and secondly, demonstrating significant endurance and ability to work hard to potential future employers, thereby providing a huge advantage over one's competition.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 hours ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Man, that sucks. Life has a way of making you think money controls the quality of life. But enjoying what you do should be your number one priority. I hope you find something more enjoyable soon man <3

Life isn't always about the money. I may earn more as a pharma rep but I was way happier when I was working as a research scientist. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Life isn't always about the money. I may earn more as a pharma rep but I was way happier when I was working as a research scientist. 

Thats the point of my post, im going into a trade which doesnt really get me anywhere in life but its something im passionate about so im willing to sacrifice the luxuries for it :) 

22 hours ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Thats wicked, I have a friend who freelances programming for game development and a little bit of app development.

I just got this apprenticeship in hardware configuration :P

hardware configuration? whats the job title of that

i wanna be 1st/2nd line it support or it technician but they are similar things

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Degree is in Aeronautical Engineering; Job title is Mechanical Engineer. My group is responsible for several different piping systems on big gray things that float.

37 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

The thing is, it counts as studying. It's not a kind of go get coffee internship. It's an internship where you get first hand experience working for a company in your chosen profession. So you do get work experience and build a connection with a company.

The only part of what you just typed that has any value whatsoever is 'build a connection with a company'. The rest is literally worthless; firstly you'd be unlikely to be doing anything meaningful or important due to the risk that you'd pose being completely unqualified and possessing exactly 0 industry experience. Therefore you'd not really be learning a great deal at all (this is based on my experience of how interns have been treated at some of the companies that I've worked for over time). Secondly you'd be wasting time, time that could otherwise be spent actually doing the exact opposite thus placing you ahead in terms of experience and progress. Moreover you'd be able to bring those new skills and abilities to bear on your degree and use them to completely pulverise your competition in that area as well! Remember there's only a finite and very limited number of 1sts that are handed out.

37 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

It's why people that graduate from this program have an easy time finding work afterwards.

That may be so but I'd hazard that the those that go looking for real work have an even easier time afterwards. If two CVs crossed my desk, one with internship based experience and one with non internship based experience, if it were only down to that fact alone then there's little to be considered in that decision; the internship looses out since real experience is usually what's in the pragmatic interests of the company. In any event I'd also see a 'sheep' - lots of people have rolled internships after all, what makes you special? Why should I put your CV in the shortlist pile and not the bin?

I'm sorry if this may come across as harsh, I'm not really trying to attack you or anything... I'm just challenging the seemingly unquestioning mindset that internships are the defacto way to go.

In contrast it does require significant mental fortitude to be able to balance work and study at the same time, if not careful one could easily find their life literally imploding in all around themselves, especially at dissertation/thesis time. It's not for everyone and I can understand how an internship provides a 'sandbox' sense of security to try out these kind of responsibilities maybe for the first time...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

My dream job = Cant get because maths :).

Will probably end up working behind some desk as a computer technician -.-

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

I've heard that argument a lot over the years, I've even been the recipient of it more times than I can count.

What is it?

5 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

-snip-

Video game artist, and sadly there are plenty of reasons why i say i cant get it due to maths, at least from where i live:

1. The only course that would even remotely have anything to do with videogame development is CT Engineering, and even then it only teaches the basics and has tons of math;

2. I havent seen any university in Europe that focuses primarily on the "videogame industry", which is funny given how many cooking and engineering only institures are out there;

3. I cant pass the national exams and i hardly think i am ready or able to study in any place whose status is high enough to warrant a job in this industry :/, like Cambridge for example;

Would like to work for Supercell for example, but yeah thats just me :(.

Groomlake Authority

50 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hardware configuration? whats the job title of that

i wanna be 1st/2nd line it support or it technician but they are similar things

Hardware configuration (at least in my example) consists of the building and setting up of computers/devices for clients. This is a broad description and can have different meanings but in my case im building computers and installing necessary software for clients. Pretty sure im building EPOS systems.

45 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

Degree is in Aeronautical Engineering; Job title is Mechanical Engineer. My group is responsible for several different piping systems on big gray things that float.

Wicked, what a cool job. must be pretty rad ;P 

28 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

snip

Thanks for all the info, nice to see youre trying to help him out :P 

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I have a sexy Nordic beard.  They don't deserve my time!

LOL i cant seem to keep track of my hair growth. Trying real hard for anti neckbeard but the morning i wake up i already see the army of hairs grow -.- 

8 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Just to clarify, with regards to skills, theres no such thing as cant. you can easily train your skills if youre dedicated enough. if the pay off is as good as you think then it should be worth it. Either wasy good luck brotha.

8 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I've heard that argument a lot over the years, I've even been the recipient of it more times than I can count.

What is it?

Me too, im interested LEMME HEAR DAT JOB

3 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Video game artist, and sadly there are plenty of reasons why i say i cant get it due to maths, at least from where i live:

1. The only course that would even remotely have anything to do with videogame development is CT Engineering, and even then it only teaches the basics and has tons of math;

2. I havent seen any university in Europe that focuses primarily on the "videogame industry", which is funny given how many cooking and engineering only institures are out there;

3. I cant pass the national exams and i hardly think i am ready or able to study in any place whose status is high enough to warrant a job in this industry :/, like Cambridge for example;

in terms of games. EDUCATION ISNT NECCASSARY

a game company, will look at your paper and say. cool you got a degree.... did you actually tune the skills you had and do you have anything to show for it? nope

Game ART especial is self taught best with use of feedback (social media etc.)

if you want to do game art, get practicing. there's no excuses to not build a portfolio,  thats what any games employer will look at. because theres actual demonstration of your ability in your own work. start doing pieces for clients etc. COMMIT TO IT

5 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

in terms of games. EDUCATION ISNT NECCASSARY

a game company, will look at your paper and say. cool you got a degree.... did you actually tune the skills you had and do you have anything to show for it? nope

Game ART especial is self taught best with use of feedback (social media etc.)

if you want to do game art, get practicing. there's no excuses to not build a portfolio,  thats what any games employer will look at. because theres actual demonstration of your ability in your own work. start doing pieces for clients etc. COMMIT TO IT

Well its that i really dont have any background experience, i think a pretty decent start would be with the already great 3DS Max (oh and i would need to reformat my pc every time for the trial to work ahaha) and maybe lynda.com for some indepth tutorials on other aspects of design, animation, etc.

I see what you mean, perhaps getting a Deviantart account and trying to find some books that specialize in this subject to help me down the road.

All in all tough, i need to get some things in my head and hands (i still need the education for this subject :P), i know the equipment needed for this isnt cheap either (those drawing tablets are crazy expensive) but theres always paper to start with and drawing programs, etc.

Groomlake Authority

20 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

So what you're saying is that you are blocked because the only things that would give you access in rage have intensive mathematical components to them?

Specifically addressing point #3: If you're open to travelling maybe you should have a look at Manchester Metropolitan University. I did my BSc Software Engineering degree there years ago. They offered a modular degree program where one could tailor their pathway, one particular route of which was explicitly games related. I've not looked as to what's on offer right now nor am able to offer comment on the mathematics, however:

13 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Me too, im interested LEMME HEAR DAT JOB

I'm both dyslexic and dyscalculate and didn't have a problem going down the Software Engineering pathway.

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well its that i really dont have any background experience, i think a pretty decent start would be with the already great 3DS Max and maybe lynda.com for some indepth tutorials on other aspects of design, animation, etc.

I see what you mean, perhaps getting a Deviantart account and trying to find some books that specialize in this subject to help me down the road.

All in all tough, i need to get some things in my head and hands (i still need the education for this subject :P), i know the equipment needed for this isnt cheap either (those drawing tablets are crazy expensive) but theres always paper to start with and drawing programs, etc.

well to get started with drawing, just get yourself a cheap wacom tablet

https://eu-store.wacom.com/Catalog/Pen-Tablets/Intuos/Intuos-Draw-Small-S02#/undefined1

they arent cheap no, but you dont need the pro ones. just get a basic one until you get the feel of it and complete some pieces. i have one i never used. I bought it for a games course i had to do because they cancelled the IT one. trust me, they are adequate.

Mainly, you just need to study art, games art is seperated into different sections so a lot needs to be learned. 

Things like

concept art

box art

environment (3D)

Character design(2D&3D)

Textures

Logo design etc etc. 

the two industry standard programs for this are Photoshop/Illustrator and 3DS Max/Maya 

there are free alternatives like GIMP and Blender both work

12 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Hardware configuration (at least in my example) consists of the building and setting up of computers/devices for clients. This is a broad description and can have different meanings but in my case im building computers and installing necessary software for clients. Pretty sure im building EPOS systems.

dream job, building pcs

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

So what you're saying is that you are blocked because the only things that would give you access in rage have intensive mathematical components to them?

Specifically addressing point #3: If you're open to travelling maybe you should have a look at Manchester Metropolitan University. I did my BSc Software Engineering degree there years ago. They offered a modular degree program where one could tailor their pathway, one route of which was explicitly games related. I've not looked as to what's on offer right now nor comment on the mathematics but:

I'm both dyslexic and dyscalculate and didn't have a problem going down the Software Engineering pathway.

Youre bucket loads of help, im loving this thread

1 minute ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Youre bucket loads of help, im loving this thread

O.o

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

dream job, building pcs

Its a deffo good thing.

Its called an apprenticeship, which is a mixture of good and bad thing, im getting industry experience in the field i want a future in. but the downside is that im working full time hours for relatively nothing. 35 hours for £175 or 197 euros roughly.

Its becoming a more and more relevant path into industry nowadays as university fees go up, and then employers arent particularly as impressed by a degree nowadays. Usually if you do good in the apprenticeship the chance for employment there follows

Just now, DisguisedDemise said:

Its a deffo good thing.

Its called an apprenticeship, which is a mixture of good and bad thing, im getting industry experience in the field i want a future in. but the downside is that im working full time hours for relatively nothing. 35 hours for £175 or 197 euros roughly.

Its becoming a more and more relevant path into industry nowadays as university fees go up, and then employers arent particularly as impressed by a degree nowadays. Usually if you do good in the apprenticeship the chance for employment there follows

im from the uk (londonish) looking for an apprenticeship lol, the wage sucks bawlz, id need to have minium £250-300 after travel and food costs and potentially rent which is freaking impossible on apprentices wage , id probably get a part time job in the weekend tbh

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

im from the uk (londonish) looking for an apprenticeship lol, the wage sucks bawlz, id need to have minium £250-300 after travel and food costs and potentially rent which is freaking impossible on apprentices wage , id probably get a part time job in the weekend tbh

I agree with you here, i have to pay rent but im living with my parents so theres a little leeway there, but london has a variety of apprenticeship shcemes, im going to have to wait until im in full time employment until i can afford the PC i want to build FeelsBadMan. Love the specs of your system btw

1 minute ago, DisguisedDemise said:

I agree with you here, i have to pay rent but im living with my parents so theres a little leeway there, but london has a variety of apprenticeship shcemes, im going to have to wait until im in full time employment until i can afford the PC i want to build FeelsBadMan. Love the specs of your system btw

thanks, currently costs me £60 to pay for (credit card for the cpu,ram,mobo) its pretty decent for what it is.

9 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

-snip-

I can completely understand your point of view, but whenever i see maths for some reason my brain shuts down (i cant really explain how hard it is for me, its like seeing a language that no matter how many years i have seen it or heard it, it just wont get in my head).

Now, i did get a math explainer and a really awesome one she was, but the issue is that her work and reputation have expanded so much and started to include so many different types of education levels (basic and university levels) that getting a schedule with her would be much harder and probably more expensive than it was (she told me once she would never put someone aside currently with her, even if they paid her more to stay and replace that other person appointment), since i joined her literally when she was "starting" the business. Without her i wouldnt have accomplished this course, that im sure of.

I would need help, but getting the money and help needed now would be so hard, especially when your mother is all the time saying "Now that youve finished this course, your gonna work, right!?". I always tell her "Ill do what ill have to do, its not up to you to decide.", but yeah its not exactly a very friendly conversation from that moment onward.

Thinking of doing any more complex level maths for me at this very moment would be unthinkable and it pains me to realize just how much i am losing in terms of financial benefit and pleasure of the work i would be doing because of it, but i have tried so hard until now and for me maths still feels like a human being trying to beat SSJ Goku (i used that as subjective joke, because i love dragonball :P).

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

thanks, currently costs me £60 to pay for (credit card for the cpu,ram,mobo) its pretty decent for what it is.

i took out a credit card to buy a gaming notebook. NOT OUT OF CHOICE I NEVER WANTED THIS PIECE OF SHIT

it was 1.3 grand and it sucks major balls. 

i only bought it because my girlfriend lives with me and i needed to make space for a bigger bed and all of our shit. so the desk went and the PC went

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I can completely understand your point of view, but whenever i see maths for some reason my brain shuts down (i cant really explain how hard it is for me, its like seeing a language that no matter how many years i have seen it or heard it, it just wont get in my head).

Now, i did get a math explainer and a really awesome one she was, but the issue is that her work and reputation have expanded so much and started to include so many different types of education levels (basic and university levels) that getting a schedule with her would be much harder and probably more expensive than it was (she told me once she would never put someone aside currently with her, even if they paid her more to stay and replace that other person appointment), since i joined her literally when she was "starting" the business. Without her i wouldnt have accomplished this course, that im sure of.

I would need help, but getting the money and help needed now would be so hard, especially when your mother is all the time saying "Now that youve finished this course, your gonna work, right!?". I always tell her "Ill do what ill have to do, its not up to you to decide.", but yeah its not exactly a very friendly conversation from that moment onward.

Thinking of doing any more complex level maths for me at this very moment would be unthinkable and it pains me to realize just how much i am losing in terms of financial benefit and pleasure of the work i would be doing because of it, but i have tried so hard until now and for me maths still feels like a human being trying to beat SSJ Goku (i used that as subjective joke, because i love dragonball :P).

Well dude that really sucks, feel for you, luckily you dont rly require maths skills to an advanced level unless youre doing programming or other stuff. For art and stuff you just got to understand perpective and distance etc. Nothing you cant do some studying on. :) hope you get to do something you love mang best of luck to you