Where do you work (Not Creepy I Swear)

DisguisedDemise

I work as a support assistant at a group home for people with disabilities. Pay is decent and i like working with people. 

I'm hired by the municipality i work in and i don't really have any complaints. 20+ hour on call shifts are a slight bummer though. But eh. Gets me out of the apartment.

I will move on eventually though. Not sure where. Waiting on a quick course to get my license to operate heavy machinery (Excavators/Cranes etc) 

But the people in charge of that sort of thing like taking their sweet time. Had my own company in that area and worked as an excavator operator/Handyman

Didn't have my license back then though. Its fine if you're your own boss and all that. But getting hired without it is damn near impossible. 

I have over 4000 hours of operating an excavator under my belt and i'm pretty darn good at it if i do say so myself. But a teeny tiny piece of paper blocks me :dry:

Might finish my education as a mechanic if nothing else presents itself. Or study to become a registered nurse. We'll see where the wind blows by then.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Just now, DisguisedDemise said:

i took out a credit card to buy a gaming notebook. NOT OUT OF CHOICE I NEVER WANTED THIS PIECE OF SHIT

it was 1.3 grand and it sucks major balls. 

i only bought it because my girlfriend lives with me and i needed to make space for a bigger bed and all of our shit. so the desk went and the PC went

sure the girlfriend should have went?

GPU was paid it full(second hand + hybrid cooler cost me £735-£570 for the 1080ti and 165 for the hybrid cooler)

my next upgrades are 1tb 960 evo(boot), and 2x4tb HDD(1 for plex, the other for some games general stuff), maybe a MX300 575GB ssd to replace my 850 evo to be used for larger games etc

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, techswede said:

snip

Love the enthusiasm, is it nice to have a change of pace and location every now and then?  My mum is a carer and is only just going back into the role, she tells me about how rewarding it is to be able to make someones life better etc etc.

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

sure the girlfriend should have went?

GPU was paid it full(second hand + hybrid cooler cost me £735-£570 for the 1080ti and 165 for the hybrid cooler)

my next upgrades are 1tb 960 evo(boot), and 2x4tb HDD(1 for plex, the other for some games general stuff), maybe a MX300 575GB ssd to replace my 850 evo to be used for larger games etc

Haha she shouldve eh, such a horrible situation i rly hate not having a desktop etc. Yeah your build is amazing do a build log on the upgrades n stuff mang :P:

Haha she shouldve eh, such a horrible situation i rly hate not having a desktop etc. Yeah your build is amazing do a build log on the upgrades n stuff mang :P:

i should, Maybe, i need to clean the case out and tidy up some cables currently just creating a build log thingy now Want me to tag you once ive finished writing it up?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Love the enthusiasm, is it nice to have a change of pace and location every now and then?  My mum is a carer and is only just going back into the role, she tells me about how rewarding it is to be able to make someones life better etc etc.

Yeah its fun to try new things. And its nice to help people. 

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i should, Maybe, i need to clean the case out and tidy up some cables currently just creating a build log thingy now Want me to tag you once ive finished writing it up?

Yes please do, id love that :) 

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah its fun to try new things. And its nice to help people. 

Youre a good guy. Get this man a cookie, and his piece of paper

Yes please do, id love that :) 

Youre a good guy. Get this man a cookie, and his piece of paper

We baked cookies at work yesterday. I've had my cookie xD

6 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

...luckily you dont rly require maths skills to an advanced level unless youre doing programming

Generally this is an obsolete and highly draconian doctrine to be going around preaching this day and age. It's simply not true unless one is going after something very specific such as image processing for example.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 minute ago, techswede said:

We baked cookies at work yesterday. I've had my cookie xD

Lucky, at my work i get told off for having a cookie lol

still does it anyway

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

Generally this is an obsolete and highly draconian doctrine to be going around preaching this day and age. It's simply not true unless one is going after something very specific such as image processing for example.

My bad, im just repeating what i hear, appreciate the info tho. Its what all the education institutions feed into my brain to make me spend more time there studying

Well, I work construction, so where ever there is construction to be had, that doesn't cost more in diesel than I'll make to drive to, I'll probably be there.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Well, I work construction, so where ever there is construction to be had, that doesn't cost more in diesel than I'll make to drive to, I'll probably be there.

Fair enough, done any cool jobs or is it quite boring? 

My bad, im just repeating what i hear, appreciate the info tho. Its what all the education institutions feed into my brain to make me spend more time there studying

Indeed, one should always question everything, especially those things that are perceived as 'normal'.

Here's a video that you may find interesting:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Fair enough, done any cool jobs or is it quite boring? 

Quite a number of cool jobs. Mostly demo. Acoustic tile ceilings are hella boring.

I've actually claimed a number of abandoned things over the years. Old PC with Win95, ethernet cables, small server/terminal pole, one of my current desks, old IBM electric typewriter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Snip

Thank you :P

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Quite a number of cool jobs. Mostly demo. Acoustic tile ceilings are hella boring.

I've actually claimed a number of abandoned things over the years. Old PC with Win95, ethernet cables, small server/terminal pole, one of my current desks, old IBM electric typewriter.

Now that

is cool shit. You can TOTALLY say youre old now cos you have old shit. 

Nice to hear man. Love hearing these stories ;P

1 minute ago, DisguisedDemise said:

You can TOTALLY say youre old now cos you have old shit. 

Why would I claim that though?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Why would I claim that though?

I just say things that dont require justification

deal with it 

pff im sorry im stupid

I work as a building services engineer at Riksbyggen, a country wide company here in Sweden. I maintain the ventilation systems, the heating system, hot/cold tap water, drain system and electrical system, pretty much everything in a commercial building. 

The goal is to run everything as optimized as possible therefore the lowest possible energy consumption. 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

I just got out of the U.S. Air Force after serving 11 years.

I start school for Computer Science in August and will have a part time job at Wal-Mart in Electronics on the 15th.

5 hours ago, Sousuke said:

HM Prison Service as a Prison Officer! More money and I should be able to help these guys more than I can now as I can point them to education as I volunteer as a Civilian Instructor in the Air Cadets and I enjoy that so putting my skills to better use, being a first responder will also help within the Prison as well.

Your uncle is the one who needs thanking! He has one of the most difficult jobs within the Ambulance Service! Thank him from me for his service!

What does the HM stand for?

That's great you want to help people but just be careful working in a prison.  I'd assume that could be a slightly dangerous place to work.  Or maybe there's prisoners with STDs that would try to infect you somehow.  

Sorry.  I worry about things like this.  I'm not trying to be mean or criticize your job choice or anything like that.  ?

3 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

In my experience, especially if one has been used to working before hand, an internship is a joke. Far better to get a real job in the industry if you can and work that in parallel with your studies - it's what I did. Moreover it removes the need for any gaps thus achieving two purposes; firstly shortening the path to completion and secondly, demonstrating significant endurance and ability to work hard to potential future employers, thereby providing a huge advantage over one's competition.

I'd think it can help though.  Employers might want some sort of job specific experience and would be more likely to hire someone with that experience (from an internship even) vs someone with no experience or at least none in the field the job is in.

Like me, I have no job history or experience at all so even an internship would've helped me if I had known that was something I should've done a few years ago.  

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Life isn't always about the money. I may earn more as a pharma rep but I was way happier when I was working as a research scientist. 

True but in the end people need money.  There's bills for housing, utilities, car, food, etc. and depending on how comfy you want to live it might be necessary to work a job you don't love in order to have as much money as you want.

Of course it is certainly best to find a job that both interests you and pays well enough.  

Though I may very well end up working a job I don't know if I'll enjoy (substitute teaching) to make money until I can find a nice job at a library.  

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What does the HM stand for?

Her Majesty :P

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'd think it can help though.  Employers might want some sort of job specific experience and would be more likely to hire someone with that experience (from an internship even) vs someone with no experience or at least none in the field the job is in.

The option of 'no relevant experience' wasn't discussed. Of course it's common sense to say that vs this option then the internship would win out, ergo:

1. Real industry experience
  2. Internship based experience
  3. No experience

In that order.

1 minute ago, linkboy said:

I just got out of the U.S. Air Force after serving 11 years.

I start school for Computer Science in August and will have a part time job at Wal-Mart in Electronics on the 15th.

I hope the electronics department at that Walmart is a lot better than the Walmart I go to near my home.  I rarely buy more than frozen pizza there but when I've been over in electronics the people working there are really incompetent.  

Dropping games and thinking that won't damage them.  Being nowhere near the electronics section so I have to waste at least 10-15 minutes just looking for literally any Walmart employee who then can't help me in electronics and has to page someone who can.  

Last time I was there after taking the time to find an employee they paged an electronics person to come help me.  But after waiting for around for a while no one showed up.  So I went to the customer service desk and asked for help again.  They paged someone a second time and finally after a few minutes someone showed up to get a Nintendo eshop card out of the locked case.  

It was very obvious that the person who helped me was one of those people who sits around not actually doing their job unless nagged repeatedly by their supervisor to do so.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is be wary that the Walmart you'll be at is a decent enough work environment and if need be jump ship and find somewhere better.  Good luck either way.

6 minutes ago, DisguisedDemise said:

Her Majesty :P

I wasn't aware the Queen had her own prison.  lol

Plesse say it's for those that dared to displease her?  ?

4 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

The option of 'no relevant experience' wasn't discussed. Of course it's common sense to say that vs this option then the internship would win out, ergo:

1. Real industry experience
  2. Internship based experience
  3. No experience

In that order.

I'm a 3...    Send help.  ?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I hope the electronics department at that Walmart is a lot better than the Walmart I go to near my home.  I rarely buy more than frozen pizza there but when I've been over in electronics the people working there are really incompetent.  

Dropping games and thinking that won't damage them.  Being nowhere near the electronics section so I have to waste at least 10-15 minutes just looking for literally any Walmart employee who then can't help me in electronics and has to page someone who can.  

Last time I was there after taking the time to find an employee they paged an electronics person to come help me.  But after waiting for around for a while no one showed up.  So I went to the customer service desk and asked for help again.  They paged someone a second time and finally after a few minutes someone showed up to get a Nintendo eshop card out of the locked case.  

It was very obvious that the person who helped me was one of those people who sits around not actually doing their job unless nagged repeatedly by their supervisor to do so.  

I guess what I'm trying to say is be wary that the Walmart you'll be at is a decent enough work environment and if need be jump ship and find somewhere better.  Good luck either way.

This isn't my first go around with Wal-Mart, I worked at a store from 2000-2005 (before I enlisted). This is a job just to help pay for food and stuff (the GI Bill will be paying for my apartment).