Elon Musk's Tesla to build world's biggest lithium ion battery to secure power for South Australia (SA)

This is one of the best things that has ever happened to our world xD.

And yes, the man is also legendary on its own.

Groomlake Authority

13 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Which is entirely different from creating production batteries right now...

But investment in production can affect interest in development. What I was saying is, if he puts so much time and money into traditional lithium batteries, I wonder if that would prevent him from developing new types of batteries to ultimately warrant a change to the entire process somewhere down the line.

This is Elon Musk, so I don't think that really matters to him, but in most cases that really is a factor.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

But investment in production can affect interest in development. What I was saying is, if he puts so much time and money into traditional lithium batteries, I wonder if that would prevent him from developing new types of batteries to ultimately warrant a change to the entire process somewhere down the line.

This is Elon Musk, so I don't think that really matters to him, but in most cases that really is a factor.

I assume that the Giga Factory can be modified to produce other battery technologies, as they evolve.

The thing is, South Australia needed this, and needed it now. They can't wait 5+ years for Elon to R&D a new battery tech that's still mostly in research phases (graphite, etc).

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Elon IS already R&D'ing new battery tech.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

all fun and games, until someone crosses the poles... Have fun stopping the worlds biggest chemical fire

After reading new safe battery tech is on the horizon - I feel like this is ill-timed and will be obsolete rather fast, especially when concerned with risk to reward. 

Just now, Alexokan said:

After reading new safe battery tech is on the horizon - I feel like this is ill-timed and will be obsolete rather fast, especially when concerned with risk to reward. 

What is the ETA on this so called safe battery tech, though?

Every few months a news post comes through LTT about some new battery tech that will revolutionize the battery industry. And guess what? Nothing happens - why? Because that tech is in many cases still 10+ years away from mass production. These breakthroughs and advancements are happening in deep level R&D, where the tech won't see consumer applications for decades, sometimes.

SA had a massive power issue that needed to be solved. And this is a solution. Waiting for some tech that may or may not be available in half a decade is foolish, when we have something right now that can solve their problems.

And if some new tech does make Li-ion obsolete? They will have the opportunity to upgrade to such a solution when the current battery system installed reaches EOL (end of life).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

all fun and games, until someone crosses the poles... Have fun stopping the worlds biggest chemical fire

Yeah, let's hope the Note 7 battery engineers weren't hired for this project...

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

12 hours ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

watched ironman? tony stark is based of elon musk

What if... Elon Musk was based on Tony Stark? :o

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

12 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

OT: Good, batteries are required to make green energy tech worthwhile.  But still realistically need a nuclear plant as a base for any advanced society of worthwhile size.  Don't think there are any in use in Oz.  It's simply best to mesh a few different energy generation types together and use them all at the same time so you can capitalize on each techs strength when appropriate to do so.

There's only 1 nuclear plant in Aus and that's in Sydney but generates no power. They should have a nuclear power plant as Aus has 33% of the worlds uranium.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The thing is, South Australia needed this, and needed it now. They can't wait 5+ years for Elon to R&D a new battery tech that's still mostly in research phases (graphite, etc).

It definitely does, SA has had huge problems with black/brown outs, not entirely due to renewable energy, but mostly because their energy network is so spread out. So when the power lines are brought down then everything fails, hopefully they put some safeguard in place with these batteries to reliably supply electricity even in extreme weather.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

1 hour ago, RedSpade said:

There's only 1 nuclear plant in Aus and that's in Sydney but generates no power. They should have a nuclear power plant as Aus has 33% of the worlds uranium.

That doesn't mean as much as one would like to believe(means nothing other than potential for national mining jobs).

The material would need to be refined and packaged for use for a particular type of powerplant.  Sorta like needing the right sized cartages to fit, there's no dude shovelling "raw" uranium into a boiler to make it go faster.  With that the where x% of uranium is is invalidated for the most part.  It won't be cheaper to buy refined nuclear fuel(s) from General electric, hitachi, Toshiba or whom ever else pedals fuel for their respective reactors.

The reason for needing a nuclear plant is that regardless of weather you'll have a known quantity generated in a clean manner, when coupled with supplamentary power generation methods you're more able to opperate it at optimal levels.  And unlike other clean solutions you can turn up the dial and crank out the watts when a suprise AU v NZ Rugby match breaks out and everyone turns on their tubes to watch it.

Or in an unlikely heatwave with no wind and people are turning on their AC to survive it.

5 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

crank out the watts when a suprise AU v NZ Rugby match breaks out and everyone turns on their tubes to watch it.

Don't know why they bother to watch, we're going to beat them anyway ;)

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Robert Downey Jr. based his performance of Tony Stark largely on Elon Musk. Not entirely, of course - as much inspiration was drawn from the original comic book character. But the current MCU iteration was definitely modelled after - to some degree - Elon Musk:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/true-story-elon-musk-robert-downey-jr-tony-stark-ashlee-vance

OIC.  He does clearly have 2 eyes, 2 ears and a nose, just like elon.  Coincidence?  Pfft obviously not!  Its not like stark was always a super intellegent science guy that was into women and philanthropy.

(P.S. plz highlight what relavent item you wanted to point out with that link, I don't have much tolerance for reading that sort of stuff.  Too gossipy cheerleader like for me )

6 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

That doesn't mean as much as one would like to believe(means nothing other than potential for national mining jobs).

The material would need to be refined and packaged for use for a particular type of powerplant.  Sorta like needing the right sized cartages to fit, there's no dude shovelling "raw" uranium into a boiler to make it go faster.  With that the where x% of uranium is is invalidated for the most part.  It won't be cheaper to buy refined nuclear fuel(s) from General electric, hitachi, Toshiba or whom ever else pedals fuel for their respective reactors.

The reason for needing a nuclear plant is that regardless of weather you'll have a known quantity generated in a clean manner, when coupled with supplamentary power generation methods you're more able to opperate it at optimal levels.  And unlike other clean solutions you can turn up the dial and crank out the watts when a suprise AU v NZ Rugby match breaks out and everyone turns on their tubes to watch it.

Or in an unlikely heatwave with no wind and people are turning on their AC to survive it.

I completely agree. I was trying to say that Australia would be an ideal place for a nuclear reactor, due to natural resources and unreliable power sources. Unfortunately the only one we have is a small one for research.

And it would be cheaper for Australia to process Uranium than to sell it to someone else, then buy it back processed. The only problem is the media convincing the Australian people that it's bad.

Just now, leadeater said:

Don't know why they bother to watch, we're going to beat them anyway ;)

Pfft, more like you try :P

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Just now, MoonSpot said:

OIC.  He does cearly have 2 eyes to ears and a nose, just like elon.  Coincidence?  Pfft obviously not!  Its not like stark was always a super intellegent science guy that was into women and philanthropy.

(P.S. plz highlight what relavent item you wanted to point out with that link, I don't have much tolerance for reading that sort of stuff.  Too gossipy cheerleader for me like)

I'm not going to summarize the entire thing - read it, or don't. But the jist is that while they were about to start filming Iron Man, Downey Jr was very nostalgic towards Howard Hughes (they were filming in an old Hughes warehouse) - and heard about a new Hughes-like figure - Elon Musk.

He then got a personal tour of SpaceX and spent some one-on-one time talking with Elon.

The performance being based on Musk was definitely embellished - he certainly influenced some of the character, but Musk isn't the alcoholic womanizer that Stark is. Musk let the embellishment happen, because it boosted his ego, and helped boost the visibility of his persona, which in turn, helped the visibility of his companies and investment.

18 minutes ago, RedSpade said:

Pfft, more like you try :P

I'll refer you to statistics of win rate and the sub statistic of win rate specifically against Aus.

Spoiler
Details Played Won by
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia
Won by
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png New Zealand
Drawn Australia points New Zealand points
In Australia 80 25 49 6 1200 1565
In New Zealand 73 15 57 1 895 1588
Neutral venue 5 2 3 0 75 81
Overall 158 42 109 7 2187 3268

Just don't bring up world cups :P

Edit:

Spoiler

New Zealand have only ever been beaten by six test nations,[k] and they are the only international team to have a winning record against every nation they have played. They have won 428 of their 555 test matches – 77.12% (see table), and have lost at home only 37 times. Since World Rankings were introduced by World Rugby in October 2003, New Zealand have occupied the number one ranking the majority of the time.[2] In the decade from 2000 to 2009, New Zealand won 100 tests (82% winning percentage). As of 24 June 2017, the All Blacks have won a record 47 consecutive tests at home. However on 1 July, they lost to the British and Irish Lions to end that 47-match winning streak at home.

New Zealand's longest winning streak is 18 test victories (a Tier 1 joint world record), achieved between 2015 and 2016. In 2013 they won every test they played during a calendar year. Their longest unbeaten streak is 23 tests (from 1987 to 1990) with one game being drawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_national_rugby_union_team

We have a 69% chance of beating you ;)

Used to live in Adelaide, has always had massive power issues, more so in summer than anything (air con etc). Pretty sure the pelican point power station was obsolete about 10 years ago, the funny thing is this has been an issue for a decade, and even through the spiel of renewable tech and discussion on whether they should or shouldn't build a nuclear facility; alas the govt again, did nothing.

It's good to see another company actually helping

South Australia represent! The issue we have been having is that South Australia gets a lot of its power from an inter-connector running from Victoria (the state next door), we had a huge windstorm that knocked over a large portion of the power line, which caused a surge that tripped something to shut the inter-connector and wind farms off. Power was out for days in most places.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-28/wind-farm-settings-to-blame-for-sa-blackout-aemo-says/8389920 - that's the report for the investigation 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_South_Australian_blackout - general info

ABC is the government news agency, they have to remain neutral, so it is quite reliable.

My PC is running and I can't catch it....

Teehee, just watched the last WAN show that mentioned this article. Either Linus misread my username or he just didn't want to say it.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:57 AM, MoonSpot said:

Watched Ironman?  Tony Stark is based off the Tony Stark from the Ironman comicbook, first released in May 1968.  3 years before Elon was born.

OT: Good, batteries are required to make green energy tech worthwhile.  But still realistically need a nuclear plant as a base for any advanced society of worthwhile size.  Don't think there are any in use in Oz.  It's simply best to mesh a few different energy generation types together and use them all at the same time so you can capitalize on each techs strength when appropriate to do so.

absolutely we need to have nuclear in Australia, but the damn greens are so hell bent on sending us back to the dark ages for fear of killing a tree that we'll end up in the dark ages because we haven't let new technology flourish. We have two reactors in Australia, one fission reactor that is a science facility and doesn't produce and the other is a prototype fusion reactor (suffice to say also doesn't produce power).

On 7/8/2017 at 1:22 AM, Dash Lambda said:

At least he's investing in technologies that will make a difference, it's very easy to be critical when we are not in the position he is in.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:17 PM, RedSpade said:

It definitely does, SA has had huge problems with black/brown outs, not entirely due to renewable energy, but mostly because their energy network is so spread out. So when the power lines are brought down then everything fails, hopefully they put some safeguard in place with these batteries to reliably supply electricity even in extreme weather.

18 hours ago, rewird said:

Used to live in Adelaide, has always had massive power issues, more so in summer than anything (air con etc). Pretty sure the pelican point power station was obsolete about 10 years ago, the funny thing is this has been an issue for a decade, and even through the spiel of renewable tech and discussion on whether they should or shouldn't build a nuclear facility; alas the govt again, did nothing.

It's good to see another company actually helping

Power issues there (as is always the case) have more to do with corporate Australia and politics than anything else.  We just don't have the consumer base to make building a new plant ever 40 years feasible. That's why there is nothing to replace hazlewood and while al the greenies are rejoicing it's closure we are going to have to buy more expensive coal fired power from NSW to make up the difference while the company that owned hazlewood sells more expensive gas and power from the the two other stations it already owns.      

Also for those talking about the safety of Ion batteries, there are plenty of safeguards in place, if you are going to take issue with big lithium banks being unsafe then you need to also take issue with nuclear and coal as the threat of explosion and ongoing damage are the same.  Everything on this planet is only as safe as the safeguards people maintain.  Ergo lithium Ion batteries are just as safe as nuclear/coal (technically even safer).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

About battery safety. There are videos where they cause 1 battery to fail and show that it can't take out any other batteries in the same unit. Unfortunately I'm unable to find that video :(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

About battery safety. There are videos where they cause 1 battery to fail and show that it can't take out any other batteries in the same unit. Unfortunately I'm unable to find that video :(

Just like if you take out one control rod from a fission reactor at let it cascade it can cause all to go.  Not saying batteries are inherently  safe, just saying they are not more dangerous than what we already have.  It all comes down to safeguards and how operators implement them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 07/07/2017 at 8:08 PM, revsilverspine said:

Elon Musk is Tony Stark[citation needed]

In the movies, I found Tony Stark was as much responsible for the problems in the shows as he was for fixing them. No doubt Stark is a genius, but he seems to be lacking a lot in the common sense department. 

Not sure the comparison is a fitting one. We will see when the power plant is up and running (or not). 

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

-snip-

On nuclear fission power, it is more hazardous for one reason. A catastrophic failure exposes highly radioactive material, which lasts a long time and is dangerous to even be near.

And as for environmental impact, I'm really not which which is worse between fossil fuel byproducts and nuclear waste. They're both bad.

Really, what we need is fusion power. We won't be dependent on highly limited resources anymore, we won't need to fill our environment with crap anymore, power plants will even be safer, and we'll actually be able to power cities easily (unlike wind and solar).

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

5 hours ago, abazigal said:

In the movies, I found Tony Stark was as much responsible for the problems in the shows as he was for fixing them. No doubt Stark is a genius, but he seems to be lacking a lot in the common sense department. 

Not sure the comparison is a fitting one. We will see when the power plant is up and running (or not). 

We're talking about someone that started a company because he was stuck in traffic. Now we have the Boring Company. If that's not something Stark would do, I don't know what would.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220