Skylake-X i7-7820x Real world numbers...

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I question your repeated need to mention threadripper in a thread that has nothing to do with threadripper. Even going out of your way to quote someone about delidding, just to bring up threadripper. I am certain that is going to wear thin on the nerves of others, especially given it has zero relevance here. 

i fail to see your issue..

i mentioned i've seen an article about something on topic, but stated i havent looked into it deeper, because other (indeed quite different) applications take priority on the time i have available for reading news articles.

would your reaction perhaps have been different if i mentioned intel xeon lineups?

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Thanks man.  It is running Prime95 normal blend.  I'll give small TFT's a run soonish.

I would love some help dialing in the RAM overclock...it is not something I have a lot of experience with.  I'll shoot you a PM when I have time to mess with it.

If you plan on doing small FFT's, I'd take baby steps. Dial it back to -700 on the AVX offset (or loosen tWRRD/RDWR timings, either one works). It's substantially hotter than normal blends, as it fits entirely into cache. Given the cache restructure and larger L2 cache, i expect heat to be more severe than what it was on normal Kaby/Skylake. 

Just now, manikyath said:

i mentioned i've seen an article about something on topic, but stated i havent looked into it deeper, because other (indeed quite different) applications take priority on the time i have available for reading news articles.

would your reaction perhaps have been different if i mentioned intel xeon lineups?

No. My reaction comes from the fact that you are repeatedly changing the context of the thread when it does not call for it. If your entire intent was to claim "I recall seeing a delid, but do not know the results" then it can simply be left at that. The need to tell us why (especially given your previous mention of threadripper already) is not required. You could have gone even further to actually look up the results of the delid you thought you saw, and then provide some actual substance to your post, but you neglected to do that entirely.

For me, it has less to do with actual brands, and more to do with the laziness and outright brazen attempt to keep threadripper's existence within this thread alive. You've done it multiple times, all of which were uncalled for. Xeons are at least slightly more relevant, given these chips are likely cut from the same cloth. 

It only takes a little consideration to determine whether or not it's a good idea to push a random agenda on to others. If you feel it will yield a negative result (one you've already seen in this very thread) then it's in everyone's best interest to avoid pushing that button again. Do you see my issue now?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Why mention anything negative if you yourself hadn't looked into it?  He obviously was proud of his results, but someone always has to come along and throw a little shit onto the prize.  This is what everyone on LTT is casually doing now.  

Maybe I can just counter all of this need to push value down our throats by dropping some Cinebench R15 screenshots in every Ryzen post I see?  

You know what you were doing, so just stop and it'll all be good.  Continuing to deny it as you continue to go off topic with more AMD stuff just makes it more and more obvious.  

My mom always used to tell me that misery loves company.  People will always try to pull you or what you have down to what might be their level.  

9 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Thanks man.  It is running Prime95 normal blend.  I'll give small TFT's a run soonish.

I would love some help dialing in the RAM overclock...it is not something I have a lot of experience with.  I'll shoot you a PM when I have time to mess with it.

No better guy for the job.  Take advantage of him.  Take that last sentence however you want.  xD

Just now, MageTank said:

(especially given your previous mention of threadripper already)

especially being the first time of me mentioning threadripper...

and maybe i wouldnt have looked it up, because i merely pulled it up as a topic of discution, and in curiousity if people in the thread had more experience at the topic. (because we all know how correct media can be..)

i'm here just as much to learn as i am here to point out things people may have overlooked (like OP's VRM temps, which i asked in context of the whole mediaa blah around VRM temps, curious what OP's results are). if i was truly here to rip shreds at intel, i may have come in from a very different angle (like "oh boy cant wait for those vrms to set fire") or may not have 3 intel/nvidia systems running in the very room i am now, with the only two amd components i ever owned being at the age of complete obsolesence already.

i could have mentioned looking up cupcake recipes instead and it wouldnt have made the slightest difference for the direction of the thread, other than you losing your shit over someone being here to have a talk with people who have a different look on high performance systems than i have, hoping to pick up a thing or two.

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Take advantage of him.  Take that last sentence however you want.

See sig line 1.

10 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Maybe I can just counter all of this need to push value down our throats by dropping some Cinebench R15 screenshots in every Ryzen post I see?

Cinebench, and some H265 with Handbrake. Drive my point home, regarding value being tied to need. Demonstrate that for certain things, Ryzen is a great value, and for others, it's not.

18 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

It is running Prime95 normal blend.  I'll give small TFT's a run soonish.

Tag me when you got your results. Seeing how X299 is panning out, Project Enza might get a much beefier upgrade than an RX VEGA and 4x M.2 NVMe Addon card.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

especially being the first time of me mentioning threadripper...

I suppose "Ryzen" would have been a more appropriate term for me to use, my apologies. 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

was truly here to rip shreds at intel, i may have come in from a very different angle (like "oh boy cant wait for those vrms to set fire") 

That would have been a very unfortunate angle to come in from, given the zero evidence of VRM fires as of this date, and the fact that the temperatures that made Der8auer uncomfortable were still well within their rated spec. If anything, the EPS temperature is the only valid concern I've seen thus far for these larger X299 chips, which is completely void for the boards with multiple EPS/ATX connectors.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i could have mentioned looking up cupcake recipes instead and it wouldnt have made the slightest difference for the direction of the thread, other than you losing your shit over someone being here to have a talk with people who have a different look on high performance systems than i have, hoping to pick up a thing or two.

You must have me mistaken for someone else. I am still very calm and well within my lane here. I simply asked for you to avoid changing the subject from Intel CPU's (and this guy's specific result with one) to the clear agenda you were trying to push. My choice of words was poor, as I said threadripper instead of using Ryzen in general, but the initial point still stands. You have repeatedly, with great intent, pushed Ryzen (with the inclusion of Threadripper) into this thread when it was completely uncalled for. If your intent was to speak about high performance systems with fellow enthusiasts, you can make a thread that specifically mentions both platforms and your desire to learn about them. You've yet to make that intent clear. 

As you can see, your fellow "enthusiasts" have asked you repeatedly to stop bringing it up. If you cannot respect their wishes, it is unlikely they will show any respect towards you in return. 

I will say, that's some juicy headroom for a 3.6GHz base frequency chip. And not at all bad temps. You did go the extra mile with push/pull (although I don't know what the static pressure on those fans is), but hey, in for a penny in for a pound. Questionable decisions may have been made regarding the platform, but performance is performance.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

3 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

I will say, that's some juicy headroom for a 3.6GHz base frequency chip. And not at all bad temps. You did go the extra mile with push/pull (although I don't know what the static pressure on those fans is), but hey, in for a penny in for a pound. Questionable decisions may have been made regarding the platform, but performance is performance.

I don't think it's questionable. Price:Performance is important for the vast majority of users, but even price:performance has a point in which it no longer works. Some people need a specific amount of performance that may cost far more than what it's worth to the average user, but without it, it could mean everything. To the rest of us, it's not that big of a deal, but for others, it's the difference between usable and not.

If he wants to pay a decent price premium for that extra performance, then that's his decision. If he is truly satisfied with it, then what he paid doesn't matter in the slightest. All that matters in the end is that the end justified the means. 

31 minutes ago, MageTank said:

If you plan on doing small FFT's, I'd take baby steps. Dial it back to -700 on the AVX offset (or loosen tWRRD/RDWR timings, either one works). It's substantially hotter than normal blends, as it fits entirely into cache. Given the cache restructure and larger L2 cache, i expect heat to be more severe than what it was on normal Kaby/Skylake. 

Yeah.  I just did a quick run with -500 on the AVX and it hit 95* in the 5th minute.  I shut her down.  PUBG calls now.  I'll give it a run with -700 a little later.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Tag me when you got your results. Seeing how X299 is panning out, Project Enza might get a much beefier upgrade than an RX VEGA and 4x M.2 NVMe Addon card.

Will do.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, MageTank said:

I don't think it's questionable. Price:Performance is important for the vast majority of users, but even price:performance has a point in which it no longer works. Some people need a specific amount of performance that may cost far more than what it's worth to the average user, but without it, it could mean everything. To the rest of us, it's not that big of a deal, but for others, it's the difference between usable and not.

If he wants to pay a decent price premium for that extra performance, then that's his decision. If he is truly satisfied with it, then what he paid doesn't matter in the slightest. All that matters in the end is that the end justified the means. 

My bad, should have been a bit more explicit. I was referring to the kaby chips and all that malarkey rather than price. Price performance is lovely indeed, but I won't keep tooting the Price/Perf horn if you're flat out looking for a certain amount of performance. I don't care about money, if you have it you spend it, your prerogative. I enjoy people's fresh extravagant builds more than I choose to scorn them and point out what they should have purchased after the fact.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Yeah.  I just did a quick run with -500 on the AVX and it hit 95* in the 5th minute.  I shut her down.  PUBG calls now.  I'll give it a run with -700 a little later.

Another fair warning: The even number tests are hotter than the odd. So pass 1 is cool, pass 2 is hot, pass 3 is cool, and so on. Be extremely careful with small FFT's. Some people wait for the first pass to end, see it's cool, and ignore the rest of the test. I say, after about pass 4 on an AIO, you will see the full extent of it's heat. For custom loops, this will vary depending on how long it takes the loop to reach equilibrium. 

Air coolers reach thermal equilibrium before pass 2 even finishes, so no worries there. 

8 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

The Noiseblocker fans I am running are the product of a lot of testing and are about the best 140mm fans I have ever tested as far as performance to noise goes.  I refuse to compromise noise for performance and that comes at the cost of $120 in fans.  That being said, they are pretty awesome if you have room.  They are 29mm wide so it is a large setup...

uXmR9SN.jpg

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

The Noiseblocker fans I am running are the product of a lot of testing and are about the best 140mm fans I have ever tested as far as performance to noise goes.  I refuse to compromise noise for performance and that comes at the cost of $120 in fans.  That being said, they are pretty awesome if you have room.  They are 29mm wide so it is a large setup...

-snip-

Damn, that is a pretty phat setup. In fact, it looks like if the rad was any thicker, it wouldn't make it, lol. I did check out the data sheet on the fans, and yeah, pretty quiet. Nitpicking about static pressure aside, I'm sure freakin' 4 of them do more than enough, especially for that silly noise (or silence) output.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

9 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Hmm, I'll have to save that in my list of fans to buy for builds I do for my friends. They look really good / the specs are awesome for a slightly thicker fan.

Meanwhile my H105 is the complete opposite. I have Delta 38mm thick fans (3600RPM) in push/pull. They cool the radiator, the motherboard, the GPU, and even the wall behind the PC. lol

Congratulations on the build by the way. Very nice.

59 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, I'll have to save that in my list of fans to buy for builds I do for my friends. They look really good / the specs are awesome for a slightly thicker fan.

Meanwhile my H105 is the complete opposite. I have Delta 38mm thick fans (3600RPM) in push/pull. They cool the radiator, the motherboard, the GPU, and even the wall behind the PC. lol

Thanks man.  I had been rocking my 2700k for the last 5 years, so it was time.

Just now, TahoeDust said:

Thanks man.  I had been rocking my 2700k for the last 5 years, so it was time.

Mine's still chugging along at 4.9 GHz just fine. I'll make the jump when Intel does the next die shrink.

1 hour ago, scottyseng said:

That is INSANE!!

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

ahh Delta, server-grade components. 

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

That is INSANE!!

There's faster delta fans, but I like these as they go from dead quiet (600RPM) to vacuum cleaner loud (I remembered wrong, it's 3900 RPM / 51 DB).

These here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706028&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=delta_pwm_fan-_-35-706-028-_-Product

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

There's faster delta fans, but I like these as they go from dead quiet (600RPM) to vacuum cleaner loud (I remembered wrong, it's 3900 RPM / 51 DB).

These here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835706028&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=delta_pwm_fan-_-35-706-028-_-Product

That's fantastic. I bet that thing cut take fingertips clean off if you weren't careful. 

I went with quantity. 25 x 120mm EK Vardar ER (extended range) fans. They spend the better part of the day spinning at 400 to 450 RPMs, but can ramp up to 2,200 if needed. 

I keep fighting the urge to go custom loop.  I could do 360mm and 280mm in my case, which is very tempting.  I am VERY impressed with the way my H115i is handling the 7820x, but the even better cooling and getting my 1080ti under water is really tempting.

16 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I keep fighting the urge to go custom loop.  I could do 360mm and 280mm in my case, which is very tempting.  I am VERY impressed with the way my H115i is handling the 7820x, but the even better cooling and getting my 1080ti under water is really tempting.

same. I got my 5820k to 4.6ghz @1.35v but it's too much heat for my H100i. And I got a 1080 Ti I want to watercool and up the voltage. 

38 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That's fantastic. I bet that thing cut take fingertips clean off if you weren't careful. 

I went with quantity. 25 x 120mm EK Vardar ER (extended range) fans. They spend the better part of the day spinning at 400 to 450 RPMs, but can ramp up to 2,200 if needed. 

Yeah, had several close calls when I had them at full speed for Intel Burn Test stress testing...It also has killed several flies that got sucked into it. I'm probably not helping the problem by having no fan grills either.

Ah, I've seen your setup before on one of the overclocking threads here. So lovely.

31 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Yeah, I'm actually surprised it's holding up that well. Even my 2700K (4.9 GHz / 1.45v) is 60C with those delta fans going full tilt.

14 minutes ago, bomerr said:

same. I got my 5820k to 4.6ghz @1.35v but it's too much heat for my H100i. And I got a 1080 Ti I want to watercool and up the voltage. 

Ah, I tried to overclock my cousin's 5820K to 4.6 GHz and got it stable, but it was pushing the high 80s so we had to back it down to 4.4 GHz due to heat (If the GPU was loaded, it would easily break 90C). Same H100i cooler as well.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I'm actually surprised it's holding up that well. Even my 2700K (4.9 GHz / 1.45v) is 60C with those delta fans going full tilt.

I am really pretty impressed with it.  It crashed a little over an hour into Realbench.  I bumped it to 1.235v and am running it again.  12 minutes in and hottest core was 79c.  We'll see how much it can fight off the heat soak.