Vega FE benchmarked by random dude

Just now, Valentyn said:

Stop with the logic! I wanted a new blue toy! :P

PAINT YOUR 980 TI BLUE! xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

PAINT YOUR 980 TI BLUE! xD

Yeah, but the driver's control panel won't also be blue :D

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

Yeah, but the driver's control panel won't also be blue :D

Just spray paint the control panel blue /s xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I really hope that Vega can beat the 1080 Ti by at least 10%, because otherwise that 300+W TDP will be hard to swallow :/

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I really hope that Vega can beat the 1080 Ti by at least 10%, because otherwise that 300+W TDP will be hard to swallow :/

Yeah man, also looking at the dodgy firestrike scores. "IF" true, it means Vega regressed in IPC nearly 30% over Fiji when comparing performance per clock speed.

I find that rather hard to believe; although given all the issues this "reviewer" chap had; maybe he just messed up it all.

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Did you even look at the OP?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Did you even look at the OP?

Yep, but newer drivers may improve performance -_-

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or you know, correct ones. :P

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

The reviewer had a under power system for the card. I'm surprise that freaking thing even turned on. Your basing your conclusion on that poor and crappy invalid test. Be optimistic, dagnabbit!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

57 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The reviewer had a under power system for the card. I'm surprise that freaking thing even turned on. Your basing your conclusion on that poor and crappy invalid test. Be optimistic, dagnabbit!

But honestly though if he bought this FE card how the heck doesn't he have a better psu or have the common sense to see he's using the wrong drivers too ???

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

15 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Or you know, correct ones. :P

Shhh you risk exposing the OP's agenda if you try to bring logic into this thread, as a matter of fact it'll get your post deleted xD

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

well seeing who posted the article.... Logic and optimism goes right out the window... But honestly though if he bought this FE card how the heck doesn't he have a better psu or have the common sense to see he's using the wrong drivers too ???

This is what happens when you watch a "video" that says high wattage power supplies are stupid and totally believe in it. Not only that, those that actually believe in that nonsense went out in full force, bashing those who bought high wattage power supplies, as if they know everything, while in reality they know nothing.

How to buy a psu

1. Set budget

2. Look at reputable brands

3. Look at PSU ratings you like to have

4. Buy the one with the highest wattage within your budget.

5. Give 2 middle fingers to those who makes fun of you for getting a 1K+ watt psu xD

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Why do I keep seeing this "under spec PSU" argument being thrown around? I count 2 8 pin connectors on the card. If they are following ATX spec, that means the card can safely pull 375w. His CPU was a 4790k. Considering he wasn't throwing a power virus at it, you can realistically expect 80-100w from that CPU under normal loads depending on clock speed. That still leaves a 70-100w buffer for the rest of the system. I've run overclocked 980 Ti's on a 500w PSU before, and that's with a 6700k and 32gb of extremely OC'd ram. Depending on quality of PSU (something nobody seems to have information on aside from it's wattage) you can push higher than it's rated capacity as long as it's cool enough.

The driver argument is one that will hold, but I highly doubt he ran into power constraints just because he used a 550w PSU. If that is truly the case, AMD has more explaining to do for breaking ATX specs once again. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Wow, people are more optimistic than I thought. Nothing is truly set in stone until the actual reviews come out but there are signs that say Vega isn't looking as good as it should be.

1. The launch of this Vega FE card has been extremely quiet. No build up. No hype. No samples for reviewers to test. It's different from AMD's usual MO and all it does is imply that AMD is hiding something.

2. The CES demo was terrible in itself. Screen tearing galore.

3. Are people seriously blaming the 550W power supply? If a unit cannot supply enough power, the whole system or program crashes... it doesn't throttle a specific component (which is the card in this case). It's more likely a case of thermal throttling thanks to the power-hungry nature of the card.

4. Drivers. The last line of hope, as always. The release of the "consumer" card is about a month away and drivers aren't optimised yet? Don't kid yourself. The guy even used the "gaming" profile during his test run. And let's be real. Drivers will probably only provide a 5% boost, which isn't going to get this card to GTX 1080Ti performance levels anytime soon if this is true.

I truly hope I'm wrong, and again, nothing's set in stone until the reviews emerge. But man, y'all need to start killing the hype and just hope it isn't as bad as it looks to be currently.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

14 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Why do I keep seeing this "under spec PSU" argument being thrown around? I count 2 8 pin connectors on the card. If they are following ATX spec, that means the card can safely pull 375w. His CPU was a 4790k. Considering he wasn't throwing a power virus at it, you can realistically expect 80-100w from that CPU under normal loads depending on clock speed. That still leaves a 70-100w buffer for the rest of the system. I've run overclocked 980 Ti's on a 500w PSU before, and that's with a 6700k and 32gb of extremely OC'd ram. Depending on quality of PSU (something nobody seems to have information on aside from it's wattage) you can push higher than it's rated capacity as long as it's cool enough.

The driver argument is one that will hold, but I highly doubt he ran into power constraints just because he used a 550w PSU. If that is truly the case, AMD has more explaining to do for breaking ATX specs once again. 

agreed, but he did say the card's frequency was all over the place, (thermal or power issues)

Just now, cj09beira said:

agreed, but he did say the card's frequency was all over the place, (thermal or power issues)

Yeah, could also be firmware issues with the card itself. We saw the same thing with the RX 480 launch if you remember.

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Wow, people are more optimistic than I thought. Nothing is truly set in stone until the actual reviews come out but there are signs that say Vega isn't looking as good as it should be.

1. The launch of this Vega FE card has been extremely quiet. No build up. No hype. No samples for reviewers to test. It's different from AMD's usual MO and all it does is imply that AMD is hiding something.

2. The CES demo was terrible in itself. Screen tearing galore.

3. Are people seriously blaming the 550W power supply? If a unit cannot supply enough power, the whole system or program crashes... it doesn't throttle a specific component (which is the card in this case). It's more likely a case of thermal throttling thanks to the power-hungry nature of the card.

4. Drivers. The last line of hope, as always. The release of the "consumer" card is about a month away and drivers aren't optimised yet? Don't kid yourself. The guy even used the "gaming" profile during his test run. And let's be real. Drivers will probably only provide a 5% boost, which isn't going to get this card to GTX 1080Ti performance levels anytime soon if this is true.

I truly hope I'm wrong, and again, nothing's set in stone until the reviews emerge. But man, y'all need to start killing the hype and just hope it isn't as bad as it looks to be currently.

Agreed, as i said I'm extremely worried about RX Vega performance

Just now, MageTank said:

Yeah, could also be firmware issues with the card itself. We saw the same thing with the RX 480 launch if you remember.

wasn't that power issues from too much vcore? (might be wrong though)

Just now, cj09beira said:

wasn't that power issues from too much vcore? (might be wrong though)

Yeah, and it was causing the cards to run hotter (and boost lower). We might be seeing the exact same thing this time around. AMD did fix it with drivers/firmware though, so it could very well be that kind of issue again.

Just now, MageTank said:

Yeah, and it was causing the cards to run hotter (and boost lower). We might be seeing the exact same thing this time around. AMD did fix it with drivers/firmware though, so it could very well be that kind of issue again.

dam they need a new way to set vcore for each individual card so that the cards run cooler fast

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

dam they need a new way to set vcore for each individual card so that the cards run cooler fast

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Again I'd like to point out that the driver used does not support Vega and is 6 months old.

Just now, Arc_Jester said:

Again I'd like to point out that the driver used does not support Vega and is 6 months old.

Yeah, and again i'd point out that driver/firmware issues are the only logical defense for this cards performance. People need to stop blaming the PSU being used, because 550w is plenty enough for the tests he used. If need be, I can demonstrate what a 5.2ghz 7700k draws under 3dmark load. Hint: Under Prime95 it only pulls 120w, lol. 

2 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

Check out the "featured comment" on the videocards page. It seems to suggest the long version number is current, and that the displayed Crimson version in GPU-Z is incorrect.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible